Thread: Estrada to Brewers

Estrada to Brewers

I didn't see any posting on this. Evidently it happened last night. How much impact should this make?

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...2006&fext=.jsp

It seem like a good trade for both sides. But time will only tell.
    Here's to baseball... The best sport made.

"There are two theories on hitting a knuckleball. Unfortunately, neither of them works." ― Charlie Lau

This looks like a trade where the Brewers dumped a pitcher that had lost faith in the D'Backs got rid of a guy who didn't want to be in Phoenix. Davis's ERA went up over a run from 2005 to 2006. That can cost you the confidence of your employers. If he bounces back the D'Backs will be thrilled.

I don't know why Estrada wanted out of Phoenix, but he did. Estrada was horrible at the plate in 2005. He improved his OPS 90 points in 2006 (still 30 points under "average"). If the Brewers get the 2006 Estrada they will be happy, if not they will pray that Davis tanks in the desert so they don't take flack over this trade.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

good trade

This was definetely a good trade for the Crew, and possibly a solid trade for the Dbacks. Arizona was in need of lefty pitching and got Davis, and in turn we got Vargas, and both are pretty equal. However i think the trade goes in the Brewers favor becuase Estrada is simply more valuable than Krynzel and Eveland combined. True, both are young but Krynzel cant hit and Eveland was terrible. And added in the Brewers get Aquino for extra relief in a bullpen that had some stuggles last year.

didn't estrada hit .301 at the plate last year how is that by any terms bad...

Quote Originally Posted by rickieweeks0023
    didn't estrada hit .301 at the plate last year how is that by any terms bad...
    His BA was good, but his OBP was BAD. For last season, it was a mere .328. His .444 SLG wasn't terrible, but because he was playing in "the BOB", it should've been higher (11 points below league average).

Quote Originally Posted by tearforamariner
    His BA was good, but his OBP was BAD. For last season, it was a mere .328. His .444 SLG wasn't terrible, but because he was playing in "the BOB", it should've been higher (11 points below league average).
    Is that the league average for catchers that you speak of? Or all players?

Quote Originally Posted by EvanAparra
    Is that the league average for catchers that you speak of? Or all players?
    It's the adjusted-league average, not for just catchers.

Quote Originally Posted by tearforamariner
    It's the adjusted-league average, not for just catchers.
    Would the catchers be higher or lower?

this is a good trade for the brewers because they needed a good catcher. Estrada is solid

Quote Originally Posted by EvanAparra
    Would the catchers be higher or lower?
    I did some research for you Evan, and this is what I came up with: Of the 16 starting catchers in the NL, the average SLG was right at .400, so Estrada was well above average. However, this average is brought WAY down by Brad Ausmus, Yadier Molina, and Brian Schnieder. Ausmus slugged .285, Molina .321, Schnieder .328. If you remove these bottom three, the average goes up to .467.

I don't know why Estrada keeps getting traded. I think he's a good player.

Keep in mind that in his 2005 season with the Braves, his swing was affected by an injured back suffered when Darren Erstad collided with him at the plate. He got off to a slow start this year with Arizona, but he really turned it up. Is he a number 3/4 hitter? no. But he's a very good hitter with RISP, and solid behind the plate.
    Every passing hour brings the Solar System forty-three thousand miles closer to Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules -- and still there are some misfits who insist that there is no such thing as progress.

Quote Originally Posted by jwkfs

Keep in mind that in his 2005 season with the Braves, his swing was affected by an injured back suffered when Darren Erstad collided with him at the plate. He got off to a slow start this year with Arizona, but he really turned it up. Is he a number 3/4 hitter? no. But he's a very good hitter with RISP, and solid behind the plate.
    I just looked at his career splits for RISP, and you are right. in 425 career at-bats with RISP, Estrada raises his BA from .280 to .299 (19 points), his OBP from .327 to .372 (45 points, HOLY COW!), and his SLG from .407 to .461 (54 points, another HOLY COW!) Estrada is the definition of clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by KCGHOST
    I don't know why Estrada wanted out of Phoenix, but he did. Estrada was horrible at the plate in 2005. He improved his OPS 90 points in 2006 (still 30 points under "average").
    Yet still better at the dish than Damian Miller...at this stage I'm of the belief that even the slightest of upgrades is a good thing.
    RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

15. Quote Originally Posted by jwkfs

I agree. Even with the emergence of McCann, I wish he were still in Atlanta. There aren't many big-league catchers that can hit from both sides and with a pretty good average. I dare to say that there are many other catchers hitting .300 year in and year out. I think the Brewers got a steal on this one.
    Custom Made Wood Bats and Bamboo

Blog Entries
    I was at the game where Johnny Estrada hit his first home run. Now if he only hit like he did in 2004 all the time that might be memorable.

As a diamondbacks fan, I think you guys got the better deal. When this trade happenned I was not happy with it. I see it as basically Vargas-Davis, both pitchers you really dont know what you are going to get. (some days Vargas would be lights out, the next start hed have given up 8 runs by the 3rd inning). I thought it might have been a more fair trade if the rest of it was Estrada for Krynzel and Eveland. The Dbacks need a lefty in the bullpen, after having gone most of 06 without one (Terry Mulholland in the early part of the season then none until september callups). I totally disagree with giving up Aquino. You guys got a good one. Aquino has always been a favorite of mine. We shouldnt have dealt him in the deal also.

And Estrada wanted out because when the dbacks called up Miguel Montero to get him major league at bats and platoon with Chris Snyder...he went to the media rather than his manager. Its not like he was forgotten about, we were giving a top prospect a chance in september, out of contention....to see what he could do. I remmember he said this, "I can see the writing on the wall, im not stupid" (maybe not the exact quote but close).

I think this is a good move for the Crew. They needed a better bat behind the plate and Estrada is a great game caller with an above average arm. I like Damien Miller but Estrada is better by far\

Te Brewers and Estrada reached a one year deal avoiding arbitration. One year, $3.4 million of guaranteed money.

The Milwaukee Brewers and catcher Johnny Estrada agreed today on a one-year deal for $3.4 million, avoiding salary arbitration.

The agreement left the Brewers with only one player remaining in arbitration, Bill Hall, and talks continue with his representatives for a multi-year deal that could be consummated next week.

Estrada, 30, was one of three players acquired from Arizona in late November in a trade that sent left-hander Doug Davis to the Diamondbacks. In 115 games last season, he batted .302 with 11 home runs and 71 RBI.
    The rest of the article is here.

This just leaves Bill Hall to sign...

I like this trade. I think Estrada could be the missing link to the bottom of the Crew's lineup this year. Also, I have a hunch that Davis has had his best days already and will be pressed to be in the Diamondbacks rotation by the end of the season.