Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Mickey Mantle V. Willie Mays

To what extent would integration (i.e., if the American League had done a better job of integrating) have affected an elite hitter like Mantle?

How much are we going to chip away, diminish Mantle because the NL with black players is thought to be the stronger league.
    How do we conclude for that reason no AL player could be the equal of the best NL hitter.
    Fact if Mick was in the NL he could not separate himself from the rest of the league because of all that talent.
    But that takes nothing away from the talent he did have. Don't live and die by OPS+ alone, look at his raw talent.
    Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 03-22-2017 at 11:11 AM.

A long time ago on this site, someone told me "nobody peaked like Mantle". Don't remember who though.
    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"Fill in any figure you want for that boy [Mantle]. Whatever the figure, it's a deal." - Branch Rickey

Quote Originally Posted by 1905 Giants View Post
    A long time ago on this site, someone told me "nobody peaked like Mantle". Don't remember who though.
    Young at the time, I did see him play, many trips to Detroit and Cleveland, Sunday doubleheaders.
    You always got a good long look at his bombs, not only far but so high.
    Only saw a small number but his drag bunts were a thing of beauty, the style and then the speed down the line.

As we know he didn't always take care of himself. But consider this, so many injuries yet he did play 2400 games by age 36.

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
    I think the only the lists where Mantle would belong ahead ahead of Mays.

Greatest hitting peaks
    Greatest hitters
    Greatest raw talents
    OUHHH....don't know about that one. Mays was extremely gifted
    This week's Giant

# 16 in games played as a Giant with 1227, George Van Haltren

Quote Originally Posted by JR Hart View Post
    I think 1950s Mantle would beat 1950s Mays in a decathlon. Mantle would dominate things like the shot put and the javelin, and might even win the 100 meter dash.

19th Century League Champion
    1900s League Champion
    1910s League Champion

1930s League Division Winner
    1950s League Champion
    1960 Strat-O-Matic League Regular Season Winner
    1960s League Division Winner
    1970s League Champion
    1971 Strat-O-Matic League Runner Up
    1980s League Champion
    All Time Greats League Champion

Quote Originally Posted by SavoyBG View Post
    I think 1950s Mantle would beat 1950s Mays in a decathlon. Mantle would dominate things like the shot put and the javelin, and might even win the 100 meter dash.
    When it comes to running one author said Mays scampered like a cat while Mantle ran like a dog. He also said he felt no major leaguer could beat Mays from home to second.
    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"Fill in any figure you want for that boy [Mantle]. Whatever the figure, it's a deal." - Branch Rickey

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JR Hart View Post
    For sure. Willie was a gifted basketball player and football player in high school.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Mantle was better then mays it's Scarey to think if he had his legs & wasn't a drunk what he could have done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567