Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Crosley Field / Redland Field

And yet another Crosley!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Couple of good finds of old League Park. You can see that the infield was where Palace/Crosley's right field corner used to be:

Also, some great shots of the Palace of the Fans. I really like the last one with the soccer field in it.

Finally, a good shot of the area beyond the outfield fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelt View Post
    Finally, a good shot of the area beyond the outfield fence.
    they must not have been expecting a bunt

Quote Originally Posted by icee82 View Post
    Here is another pic from 1950. This is Jim Russell of the Dodgers in left. Check out the guy on the pole behind the left field fence.
    If someone hit the guy on the pole, did HE win a free Siebler suit, too?

Reds of Cincinnatti.

I think the Reds would be a MUCH more popular team nowadays if this Field was still around. What a shame they destroyed such an interesting Field.

Quote Originally Posted by locke40 View Post
    I think the Reds would be a MUCH more popular team nowadays if this Field was still around. What a shame they destroyed such an interesting Field.
    Once the Interstate came through, the writing was on the wall. Much of what made the park great was lost.

As you can see, the outfield view was gutted, and what was left of the neighborhood was consumed by parking lots.

It's difficult for an old-school "neighborhood park" to survive in a town with limited mass transit.
    Last edited by J.R.; 12-21-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    Once the Interstate came through, the writing was on the wall. Much of what made the park great was lost.

As you can see, the outfield view was gutted, and what was left of the neighborhood was consumed by parking lots.

It's difficult for an old-school "neighborhood park" to survive in a town with limited mass transit.
    Who knows maybe in like 25-35 years when Great American Ballpark needs to be replaced the Cincinnati Reds will rebuild a new modern Crosley Field on the same site of old Crosley Field, You never know

That will never happen. Crosley Field is located in a rough area of town and it is highly industrialized now as well. The proximity to hotels and restaurants are much better on the riverfront.

Quote Originally Posted by Milwaukee County Stadium View Post
    Who knows maybe in like 25-35 years when Great American Ballpark needs to be replaced the Cincinnati Reds will rebuild a new modern Crosley Field on the same site of old Crosley Field, You never know
    Why would anyone care if it was built on the old site? The views are gone anyway and it would be a new park, not Crosley. In 35 years there will hardly anyone alive who remembers seeing a game at Crosley.

Quote Originally Posted by driver62 View Post
    I sat behind home plate once when I was a kid. I went here with a church group. Here's a photo showing what it looks like now where home plate was located. Home plate was where the photo on the left was taken.
    Cool side by side photos. I see the score board in the distance on the 'now' photo. Is it still there today?
    Last edited by davidsb; 12-23-2008 at 08:22 PM.

There is nothing at the site but a marble monument and it is somewhat hard to find.

There is nothing at the site but a marble monument and it is somewhat hard to find.
    I was at the dedication of the monument in 1995; if memory serves me correctly, it should be on the corner of Western Avenue and Liberty Street- or the exit ramp off of I-75 for what used to be Western Avenue.

I haven't been to Cincinnati in over ten years, though- I hope nothing happened to it.

It is still there or it was there several years ago when I went to Cincinnati. It is nestled to the side of a building but there is nothing in the vicinity to alert you that the monument is there. I wish they could do a little more to mark the location of the park but it is highly industrialized in that area now.

For Christmas, my son gave me a DVD of the 1961 World Series between the Reds and Yankees. There were some great scenes of old Crosley Field in that DVD. It was great seeing it in color but at the end, it showed actual game footage in black and white which was great to see!!!

A pic of Crosley down the right field line. The stands are a little empty for this game. The runner appears to be Jackie Robinson. Of course this comes from the LIFE gallery.

Watching Jackie Robinson while sipping a 25 cent premium beer and sitting on a 10 cent cushion. Ain't life grand!

I agree with the last two people that posted on the boards. We love the ballparks from yesteryear but I would not want to go backwards and live in those days. Those times seem simpler because we might have been kids during that time and we were youthful and naive as well. All eras had their issues. Prices to game might have been cheap but they were not cheap at that time. If they had been that cheap, the stands would have been packed for every game. I have heard of people working for a dime per hour so the ticket prices were relative to the income of that era.
    Yes, I do not believe in living in the past but it would be great to go back for a game. Cue up the Twilight Zone music!

Quote Originally Posted by stlfan View Post
    I don't know if there still is, but I remember back in the late 80's, early 90's when we'd visit family in Cincy, we went to an amusement/waterpark called Coney Island. There were a lot of older structures there that dated pretty far back.

edit:
    Here is the link.

http://www.coneyislandpark.com/
    Also if you notice in the pic from post #109 the advertisement painted on the side of the building in the upper left hand corner

CONEY
    America's Finest Amusement Park
    SWIM-DINE-DANCE-PICNIC
    20 minutes from(?) Fountain Square Route 52 East

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast