Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 525 of 598

Thread: Crosley Field / Redland Field

  1. #501
    Here's an even better one...at least from a ballpark standoint. Lots of great live shots of Crosley. What a great place!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG0DM...feature=relmfu

  2. #502
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hour from Citi
    Posts
    4,625
    Boy, the first pic below was a tough one. Listing has it as the 1961 WS, but the scenario didn't fit, only two instances of Yanks 1st and 3rd with a Cincy righty hurler, and the number at the plate didn't match. Then I noticed that there was no bunting along the stands on either level, so the only other team it could be was the San Francisco Giants (if it is indeed from 1961) - and we do have a touch of orange tinge on those uniforms. And two scenarios matched, but one had only 10,000 fans, the other, at near capacity:

    If 1961, it would have to be Sunday, September 24, 29,272 in the house. Jim Davenport at the plate, top of the 4th inning, Bailey on first, Cepeda on third. Joey Jay pitching, Blasingame at second, Coleman at first, Frank Robinson in right. Salty Parker the 3B coach. Giants down 2-1 but not for long, as Davenport is about to park a 3-run blast to left to put the Giants up 4-2. 3 singles after that and Jay was done. Giants would score 9 in the frame and go on to win it 12-5, with Jay falling to an otherwise impressive 21-9. No matter, the Reds were still up 4 games on the Dodgers (and 8 on the Giants) and would win the NL Pennant by those 4 games.

    $(KGrHqZ,!l!E+re1LHhYBP+,E-0Y8w~~60_57.JPG
    Larger size

    Jay would get rocked again in his final regular season start, which may have been telling as the Reds advanced to the World Series - Jay would throw an impressive CG victory at Yankee Stadium in Game 2, but then unfortunately sealed the Reds' fate when he got knocked out of the box in the first inning of Game 5 at Crosley, and the Yanks cruised to victory and the championship.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Reds-Ya...item589603a8f0


    Now this one, from the same seller, was easier; it does appear to be from the 1961 WS, with bunting present, and appears to be the final out of Game 4 (1st and 2nd, flyball to right by Coleman to end it, Lopez the RF, Howard coming out to mound to congratulate P Coates), which the Yankees won, 7-0, to go up in the series 3 games to 1.

    $(KGrHqN,!pcE-v7BsPlyBP+Z9gC!5w~~60_57.JPG
    Larger size

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Reds-Ya...item5896039d70

    The one thing about both being in 1961 is the differences in the outfield fence - the distance numbers that are clear in the WS photo, are not white and barely visible in the first photo. Were they painted white just before the World Series? Can anyone confirm?
    Last edited by alpineinc; 11-27-2012 at 08:40 AM.

  3. #503
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hour from Citi
    Posts
    4,625
    Lou Gehrig in uniform for the final time, leaving the field after the last out of the 1939 World Series.

    153087a_lg.jpeg

    153087b_lg.jpeg

    http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...ntoryid=153087

  4. #504
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    267
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Boy, the first pic below was a tough one. Listing has it as the 1961 WS, but the scenario didn't fit, only two instances of Yanks 1st and 3rd with a Cincy righty hurler, and the number at the plate didn't match. Then I noticed that there was no bunting along the stands on either level, so the only other team it could be was the San Francisco Giants (if it is indeed from 1961) - and we do have a touch of orange tinge on those uniforms. And two scenarios matched, but one had only 10,000 fans, the other, at near capacity:

    If 1961, it would have to be Sunday, September 24, 29,272 in the house. Jim Davenport at the plate, top of the 4th inning, Bailey on first, Cepeda on third. Joey Jay pitching, Blasingame at second, Coleman at first, Frank Robinson in right. Salty Parker the 3B coach. Giants down 2-1 but not for long, as Davenport is about to park a 3-run blast to left to put the Giants up 4-2. 3 singles after that and Jay was done. Giants would score 9 in the frame and go on to win it 12-5, with Jay falling to an otherwise impressive 21-9. No matter, the Reds were still up 4 games on the Dodgers (and 8 on the Giants) and would win the NL Pennant by those 4 games.

    $(KGrHqZ,!l!E+re1LHhYBP+,E-0Y8w~~60_57.JPG
    Larger size

    Jay would get rocked again in his final regular season start, which may have been telling as the Reds advanced to the World Series - Jay would throw an impressive CG victory at Yankee Stadium in Game 2, but then unfortunately sealed the Reds' fate when he got knocked out of the box in the first inning of Game 5 at Crosley, and the Yanks cruised to victory and the championship.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Reds-Ya...item589603a8f0


    Now this one, from the same seller, was easier; it does appear to be from the 1961 WS, with bunting present, and appears to be the final out of Game 4 (1st and 2nd, flyball to right by Coleman to end it, Lopez the RF, Howard coming out to mound to congratulate P Coates), which the Yankees won, 7-0, to go up in the series 3 games to 1.

    $(KGrHqN,!pcE-v7BsPlyBP+Z9gC!5w~~60_57.JPG
    Larger size

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Reds-Ya...item5896039d70

    The one thing about both being in 1961 is the differences in the outfield fence - the distance numbers that are clear in the WS photo, are not present in the first photo. Were they added just before the World Series? Can anyone confirm?
    In the upper picture, the Giant third base runner is Willie Mays, not Cepeda (who wore #30).

  5. #505
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hour from Citi
    Posts
    4,625
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Barrie View Post
    In the upper picture, the Giant third base runner is Willie Mays, not Cepeda (who wore #30).
    I went with Cepeda because the first number appears to be a 3, not a 2 - although the second number is really not legible, but with the first number a 3, it could only be Cepeda in that era. And the uniform could only be the Giants in the NL in 1961 (Pirates had sleeveless unis). Again, the Yankees don't appear to match up due to scenario and lack of bunting, and markings on RF wall.

    cepeda1.jpg
    Last edited by alpineinc; 11-27-2012 at 08:43 AM.

  6. #506
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hour from Citi
    Posts
    4,625
    Appears to be Opening Day 1946. Scoreboard matches, and looks like a '46 Crosley car on the field. If so, tough one for the locals, as the Cubs scored 4 in the 9th to win 4-3.

    $(KGrHqJ,!qQE+nJqfhvBBQMo5t,3gQ~~60_57.JPG

    $(KGrHqN,!i0F!iDyOY-bBQMo5rEmMw~~60_57.JPG

    $(KGrHqR,!noF!PE)7EiGBQMo5zPqW!~~60_57.JPG

    $(KGrHqV,!qcF!b-wPwbPBQMo5wOlow~~60_57.JPG

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-CINCINNAT-...item4aac8feb5f

  7. #507
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Painting the black
    Posts
    822
    Great shots! The 40's are easily my favorite era of this park. I love the buildings just beyond the outfield wall. One of the most beautiful settings ever in baseball from this time.
    Last edited by Pelt; 11-27-2012 at 10:49 AM.

  8. #508
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hour from Citi
    Posts
    4,625
    SI photo shoot for the July 16, 1956 cover. The first pic is close to the shot they used, but the second shot is great as well. Actual cover below. Always loved these uniforms.


    Wally Post, Ted Kluszewski, Gus Bell




    Post, Bell, Kluszewski
    Ed Bailey, Frank Robinson, Ray Jablonski

    reds56b.jpg


    0716_mid.jpg


    http://www.lelands.com/Auction/Aucti...over-Image-(2)

  9. #509
    I love the 3 different sleve lengths on the guys. Professional sports today would fine you for being half an inch different than the rest of the team!
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

  10. #510
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hour from Citi
    Posts
    4,625
    Frank Robinson in that sleeveless uniform just epitomizes classic '50's-'60's baseball to me. Taken in the same year, 1956, but in Milwaukee, and posted by me many times , but I can't get enough of it. As a rookie, he has the poise, self-respect and class that most players never achieve.

    frobinson@mil8-56.JPG

  11. #511
    Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Frank Robinson in that sleeveless uniform just epitomizes classic '50's-'60's baseball to me. Taken in the same year, 1956, but in Milwaukee, and posted by me many times , but I can't get enough of it. As a rookie, he has the poise, self-respect and class that most players never achieve.

    frobinson@mil8-56.JPG
    Couldn't agree more about F. Robinson. Always thought the line from "Talkin' Baseball" about 1956, "One Robby going out, one coming in" was very poignant.

    Both men were the epitome of inner strength and character, as well as physical toughness.

  12. #512
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    4,845
    Opening Game Cincinnati National League Park Panoramic
    First Ever Game At Redland Field - April 11, 1912
    Chicago vs. Cincinnati - Attendance 27,366

  13. #513
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mount Sinai,Long Island,NY
    Posts
    1,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    I love the 3 different sleve lengths on the guys. Professional sports today would fine you for being half an inch different than the rest of the team!
    Not true. Look at all the guys on the same teams that wear their pant legs different lengths-below the knee, ankle-high {rare these days} and down to the floor.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

  14. #514
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    Not true. Look at all the guys on the same teams that wear their pant legs different lengths-below the knee, ankle-high {rare these days} and down to the floor.
    uni fines happen in nfl, mlpa is too strong for that to happen
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

  15. #515
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hour from Citi
    Posts
    4,625
    Have we seen this one yet? If so, worth another look, for sure.

    Thursday, October 2, Game 2 of the 1919 World Series, home 6th inning (that scoreboard will throw you), Greasy Neale is caught stealing to end the inning after he singled in Edd Roush to put the Reds up 4-0 (not yet on scoreboard), and Cincinnati would go up 2 games to none in the Series. Lefty Williams, seen on the mound, had already "thrown" this one, walking three in the third as the Reds tallied for three runs, and SS Swede Risberg, applying the tag, was also in on the fix. 2B Eddie Collins, at right, was not involved.

    Only Eddie Cicotte was paid at this point, but after this game, $10,000 more was obtained and distributed among the conspirators before heading to Chicago for Games 3, 4 and 5. And Lefty Williams would secure the fix by apparently throwing the final Game 8 as well, getting knocked out of the box in the 1st inning (the story of threatening his wife turned out to be false, but it appears he threw the game anyway). Williams and Risberg would play in 1920, but after the scandal was uncovered late that year, were declared "ineligible" for 1921, and banned for life later that year.


    2945x1600

  16. #516
    Wow...that is a great photograph from that era!!!

  17. #517
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hour from Citi
    Posts
    4,625
    Beautiful shot, source says August 1957, but it's between April 21 and May 6 (most likely the morning of May 6), 1955.

    This one was tough because the scoreboard is in transition - the visiting team is switched to "Chicago", but both lineups are from the previous game played at Crosley, on April 20th, 1955 against the Cardinals, including Musial's switch to RF and the Reds double-switch leaving their pitcher batting 7th. The Redlegs then went on a 10-game road trip, returning to play the Cubs on Friday night, May 6th. (and on Sat. too, as the scoreboard says). I'm guessing the change to "Chicago" and the watering of the field means game day, so probably May 6. Anyway, enjoy.

    8400317089_bdcb0ee8da_h.jpg
    Massive 2947x1964 size


    Here's each side of the largest size of the photo for a better view of the glorious scoreboard and background, both pretty good photos on their own!

    WtYMk07.jpg

    8aj4to2.jpg

    And by the way, the Redlegs won that night, 4-2, with Joe Nuxhall going all the way on a 6-hitter. Smoky Burgess and Wally Post got 2 hits apiece for the locals. Unfortunately, Cincinnati still remained in last place at day's end. Nuxhall would have the best year of his career in 1955, going 17-12 with a league-leading 5 shutouts, but Cincy would fall short of .500 and finish fifth. They would win only one more flag at Crosley, in 1961 (excluding the first half of the 1970 NL West winning season).

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregorywass/8400317089/
    Last edited by alpineinc; 02-11-2013 at 07:52 AM.

  18. #518
    You are definitely right on with 1955 because the restaurant sign to the right of the flag pole was different in 1956. Also it cannot be 1957 because the new scoreboard was put in prior to the season. Nice photos of that era!!!

  19. #519
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hour from Citi
    Posts
    4,625
    1939 WS, Virginia Bridge Co. to the rescue!


  20. #520
    nbc gotw broadcast reds v. gi-ants w/ol' dizzy and pee wee at crosley
    diz had problems with my old pal's name - joe amalfitano, not a surprise
    willie knocks 'em in...



    http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...220CIN1961.htm

    enjoy, pardners..
    Last edited by Paul W; 02-15-2013 at 12:00 AM.
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

  21. #521
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hour from Citi
    Posts
    4,625
    Great find! Never had a chance to hear Dizzy as an announcer. Excitable, but a fun listen. Although stumbling through those names would get tired in a hurry, lol.

  22. #522
    The pitcher in this game has always intrigued me. I actually got him TTM prior to his death. On July 7, 1961, he was 9-4 with a 3.25 ERA. He proceeded to lose six straight games and finished the year at 9-10 with an ERA of 3.96. He mopped up in the ninth inning of Game 5 of the 1961 Series in a 13-5 Reds' loss. He never pitched another inning in the majors. Now with a 9-10 record and a 3.96 ERA, he would get a multi-year $10 million dollar contract. How times have changed.

  23. #523
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hour from Citi
    Posts
    4,625
    Quote Originally Posted by icee82 View Post
    The pitcher in this game has always intrigued me. I actually got him TTM prior to his death. On July 7, 1961, he was 9-4 with a 3.25 ERA. He proceeded to lose six straight games and finished the year at 9-10 with an ERA of 3.96. He mopped up in the ninth inning of Game 5 of the 1961 Series in a 13-5 Reds' loss. He never pitched another inning in the majors. Now with a 9-10 record and a 3.96 ERA, he would get a multi-year $10 million dollar contract. How times have changed.
    Interesting. Ken Hunt, one year in the majors. 1961 Sporting News NL Rookie of the Year too. It looks like he was simply too wild, 4.4BB/9 that year, and as his E.R.A rose into August, it appears he was pulled out of the rotation, and only started 1 game after that.

    As the back of the card says, he had a great year in the minors in 1960, but look at '58 and '59, BBs (and E.R.A.s) off the charts! And then when sent back to the minors for seasoning in 1962, "working to cut down his free passes", he was back at square one, with 80 walks in 66 innings (that's almost 12 per 9 innings)! Three more years in the minors, but he couldn't curb his wildness, and that was pretty much that.

    kenrhunt_zps28694f5f.jpg

    kenrhuntback_zpsf291be5c.jpg

  24. #524
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northeast PA
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    P Tony Cloninger, 1969. Had a tough year, going 11-17 for the Reds with an ERA over 5.

    He had a couple of great years in the early '60's with the Milwaukee Braves, but never really recovered from various injuries in the mid '60's, and was primarily a spot starter and reliever for Cincinnati, winning a pennant with the Reds in 1970. He retired after the 1972 season. He would return to baseball 20 years later as a bullpen coach for the Yankees, getting 4 WS rings with the Bombers.
    OT fun fact - The Braves' battery from their first game in Atlanta was present at the last game at Fulton County Stadium (1996 WS Game 5) - in the Yankees Dugout (Tony Cloninger/Joe Torre)

    Don't forget Tony's 2 grand slams in one game as well.

  25. #525
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hour from Citi
    Posts
    4,625
    Okay, these have all been reposted before, but I'm posting them again because I just discovered something.

    These are probably the two best albums that exist of latter-day Crosley, both taken by fans - and I just realized that both were taken on the same day, Sunday August 31, 1969, which really boggles the mind. As noted before, Reds won 7-5, rocking Bob Gibson of all people. Bench, Perez HRs for the Reds, Shannon, Flood round-trippers for the Cards. With the win, the Reds moved into a tie with the Giants in the NL West, with the eventual pennant winning Braves 2 games back. Cards dropped 10.5 games behind the Cubs.

    Among other amazing things in having two albums of the same day, the Merritt warmup and second Gibson warmup photo were taken about 2 minutes apart!

    Also, the first two were posted by icee82 a few years ago, who discovered the first album here from good old Pat on Picasa, but were posted smaller; I wanted to pull them out to their largest size that the forum allows to really get a good look. Have also put up links for the largest sizes available overall for all. So let's put them all together in one post, in their biggest sizes once and for all! Enjoy them, again.

    42.jpg
    1600x1088

    Curt Flood double, either in the 5th or 8th inning.
    44.jpg
    1600x1080

    Jim Merritt warming
    43.jpg
    1600x1081

    41.jpg
    1600x1071


    Now here's Greg Frazier's album, taken along the right field line. These are at their largest sizes.

    Bob Gibson
    Bob%u00252520Gibson%2520%2526%2520Scoreboard.jpg



    Mudcat Grant


    Joe Hoerner




    So long, Crosley...
    Last edited by alpineinc; 02-21-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •