Clear All
  • icee82
    • Jul 2004

And yet another Crosley!!!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Pelt
      • Apr 2008

Couple of good finds of old League Park. You can see that the infield was where Palace/Crosley's right field corner used to be:
      Attached Files

Comment

• Pelt
        • Apr 2008

Also, some great shots of the Palace of the Fans. I really like the last one with the soccer field in it.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Pelt
          • Apr 2008

Finally, a good shot of the area beyond the outfield fence.
          Attached Files

Comment

• soup
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Pelt View Post
            Finally, a good shot of the area beyond the outfield fence.
            they must not have been expecting a bunt

Comment

• chinese home run
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by icee82 View Post
              Here is another pic from 1950. This is Jim Russell of the Dodgers in left. Check out the guy on the pole behind the left field fence.
              If someone hit the guy on the pole, did HE win a free Siebler suit, too?

Comment

• locke40
                I ♥ Support Columns
                • Dec 2007

Reds of Cincinnatti.

I think the Reds would be a MUCH more popular team nowadays if this Field was still around. What a shame they destroyed such an interesting Field.
                sigpic

Comment

• J.R.
                  • Feb 2008

Originally posted by locke40 View Post
                  I think the Reds would be a MUCH more popular team nowadays if this Field was still around. What a shame they destroyed such an interesting Field.
                  Once the Interstate came through, the writing was on the wall. Much of what made the park great was lost.

As you can see, the outfield view was gutted, and what was left of the neighborhood was consumed by parking lots.

It's difficult for an old-school "neighborhood park" to survive in a town with limited mass transit.
                  Last edited by J.R.; 12-21-2008, 04:26 PM.

Comment

• Milwaukee County Stadium
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by J.R. View Post
                    Once the Interstate came through, the writing was on the wall. Much of what made the park great was lost.

As you can see, the outfield view was gutted, and what was left of the neighborhood was consumed by parking lots.

It's difficult for an old-school "neighborhood park" to survive in a town with limited mass transit.
                    Who knows maybe in like 25-35 years when Great American Ballpark needs to be replaced the Cincinnati Reds will rebuild a new modern Crosley Field on the same site of old Crosley Field, You never know

Comment

• icee82
                      • Jul 2004

That will never happen. Crosley Field is located in a rough area of town and it is highly industrialized now as well. The proximity to hotels and restaurants are much better on the riverfront.

Comment

• metfan13
                        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Milwaukee County Stadium View Post
                        Who knows maybe in like 25-35 years when Great American Ballpark needs to be replaced the Cincinnati Reds will rebuild a new modern Crosley Field on the same site of old Crosley Field, You never know
                        Why would anyone care if it was built on the old site? The views are gone anyway and it would be a new park, not Crosley. In 35 years there will hardly anyone alive who remembers seeing a game at Crosley.

Comment

• davidsb
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by driver62 View Post
                          I sat behind home plate once when I was a kid. I went here with a church group. Here's a photo showing what it looks like now where home plate was located. Home plate was where the photo on the left was taken.
                          Cool side by side photos. I see the score board in the distance on the 'now' photo. Is it still there today?
                          Last edited by davidsb; 12-23-2008, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• icee82
                            • Jul 2004

There is nothing at the site but a marble monument and it is somewhat hard to find.

Comment

• chinese home run
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by icee82 View Post
                              There is nothing at the site but a marble monument and it is somewhat hard to find.
                              I was at the dedication of the monument in 1995; if memory serves me correctly, it should be on the corner of Western Avenue and Liberty Street- or the exit ramp off of I-75 for what used to be Western Avenue.

I haven't been to Cincinnati in over ten years, though- I hope nothing happened to it.

Comment

• icee82
                                • Jul 2004

It is still there or it was there several years ago when I went to Cincinnati. It is nestled to the side of a building but there is nothing in the vicinity to alert you that the monument is there. I wish they could do a little more to mark the location of the park but it is highly industrialized in that area now.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X