Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Crosley Field / Redland Field

So we know about the '37 flood, but what about the 1913 flood that delayed the start of the Reds' (and Pirates) season? From the Sporting News, April 1913.

Last edited by alpineinc; 02-09-2012 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Dead links

I don't know if there still is, but I remember back in the late 80's, early 90's when we'd visit family in Cincy, we went to an amusement/waterpark called Coney Island. There were a lot of older structures there that dated pretty far back.

edit:
    Here is the link.

http://www.coneyislandpark.com/

Larry Luebbers/Marvin Thompson

Is Blue Ash still the site of a resurrected Crosley Field. With 600 original seats. Possibly the scoreboard, flagpole and ticket office. An Old Timers Game was dedicated in July 11, 1988.
    from ebaseballparks.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mrakbaseball; 11-15-2008 at 11:23 AM.

Yes, it is in Blue Ash. The scoreboard, the ticket booth, and some seats from Crosley are there.

The scoreboard is a detailed replica. Unfortunately, it isn't the original.

My bad on the scoreboard. It is definitely a replica scoreboard.

I have a question about Crosley and subsequent Riverfront Stadium. I know that Crosley Field holds a very special place in the hearts of Cincinnati fans. It holds a very special place in my heart although I never saw a game there. However do you think the fact that the Big Red Machine was being built and the Reds went to the World Series two of the first three years that Riverfront was open helped acclimate Reds fans to Riverfront? If you think about it many of the wonderful memories in Cincinnati baseball history happened at Riverfront. That first season in Riverfront saw Pete Rose crash into Ray Fosse at home during the All Star Game and later in the year, the World Series was played at Riverfront against the Orioles. The Reds were right back in the Series again in 1972 against the Oakland Athletics.

Those photos are great!

I wish that I could get a panoram of the outfield and scenery beyond the fence - before they started knocking all the surrounding buildings down. To me, the scene beyond the outfield was one of the best looking atmospheres in all of baseball.

The Interstate surely destroyed this one. Of course, the Reds went and built the new one right next to I-71.

Of all the characteristics of Crosley to bring over, they chose the worst.

Crosley is my favorite old ballpark as it's the only one I ever saw games in.

For a young kid, it was a sea of green in the midst of apartment buildings and factories.

Thanks for the pics.

The above pics are from July 21, 1950 and I believe these pics could be from the same game. The top pic is Jackie Robinson at bat. The bottom pic is Joe Adcock who played in Cincinnati before finding fame in Milwaukee.
    Last edited by icee82; 11-21-2008 at 06:23 PM.

By the way, look at the man on the roof in this photo.

Those old photo's kinda make you long for a simpler time don't they? I mean, no war on terror, no skyrocketing fuel prices. And I'd imagine, cheaper seat prices to a ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by HoldenV8 View Post
    Those old photo's kinda make you long for a simpler time don't they? I mean, no war on terror, no skyrocketing fuel prices. And I'd imagine, cheaper seat prices to a ball game.
    No time is really simple for those actually living in those times. Jim Crow, kids working in the factory or mines for 14 hours a day, need I go on?

Sure, the ticket prices were cheaper. And income was much, much lower. It wasn't simpler for those living then.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

Quote Originally Posted by HoldenV8 View Post
    30's - Great Depression

40's - WWII

50's - Fear of nuclear war

Nostalgia is nice, but the reality is that all times had their fears and concerns.

I agree with the last two people that posted on the boards. We love the ballparks from yesteryear but I would not want to go backwards and live in those days. Those times seem simpler because we might have been kids during that time and we were youthful and naive as well. All eras had their issues. Prices to game might have been cheap but they were not cheap at that time. If they had been that cheap, the stands would have been packed for every game. I have heard of people working for a dime per hour so the ticket prices were relative to the income of that era.

Here is another pic from 1950. This is Jim Russell of the Dodgers in left. Check out the guy on the pole behind the left field fence.

And yet another Crosley!!!

Couple of good finds of old League Park. You can see that the infield was where Palace/Crosley's right field corner used to be:

Also, some great shots of the Palace of the Fans. I really like the last one with the soccer field in it.

Finally, a good shot of the area beyond the outfield fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelt View Post
    Finally, a good shot of the area beyond the outfield fence.
    they must not have been expecting a bunt

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast