Thread: Question about Philadelphia A's player

Question about Philadelphia A's player

My girlfriends grandfather recently told me that his grandfather DeLos Butler used to play for the Philadelphia Athletics. I am guessing that if he did in fact play for them, it would have been in the late 1800's, early 1900's. I know absolutely nothing about the team so I thought I would start here.

Has anyone ever heard this name before? Any info would be great. Thanks!!

Blog Entries
    I just searched every Butler that played MLB on www.baseball-almanac.com. And sorry, but I couldn't find one person by that name or who played for the Philadelphia A's during that time frame. Do you happen to have any other info?

Quote Originally Posted by AutographCollector
    I just searched every Butler that played MLB on www.baseball-almanac.com. And sorry, but I couldn't find one person by that name or who played for the Philadelphia A's during that time frame. Do you happen to have any other info?
    And I did a google search and the only thing that came up was this page... sorry...

I used the SBE and searched on the name "DeLos" and only got two hits that might have been possible. One was Delos Brown who played for the White Sox in 1914. The other was Delos Drake who played for the 1911 Tigers and the 1914-1915 Terriers.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Blog Entries
    I looked up DeLos Butler on baseball reference and it came up with 0 hits. Your girlfriend is either lying or has the name wrong.
    "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Quote Originally Posted by keepthefaith3
    I looked up DeLos Butler on baseball reference and it came up with 0 hits. Your girlfriend is either lying or has the name wrong.
    She's a damn liar!!! Her grandfather, too, since he is the one who actually told him according to the post. Bunch of lying liars. And around Christmas time too. For shame.

Re-reading the initial post, the grandfather said his grandfather played ball. That is quite a few generations and may even put it before the existence of the professional Athletics. The grandfather might have said Athletics and the poster assumed the Philadelphia portion of it. The poster may have typed the name incorrectly since Delos is a rather unusual first name. It could be anything. Rather than discouraging and disparaging, especially a first-time poster who is just trying to find out something about the family of someone special to him, perhaps a request for more information is in order in the event the poster comes back.

I checked the Social Security Death Index and the only Delos Butler that came up lived from 1939-1996. Not the fellow in question obviously.