Thread: 'Greatest' versus 'Best'

'Greatest' versus 'Best'

Poster JackAigner brought this up in the Bagwell thread, and it's something that I happen to agree with.

There is a difference to me in the greatest Astro ever and the best Astro ever. They can be one and the same. I could certainly see Yankees fans arguing that Babe Ruth was both the greatest and the best, or Giants fans deciding the same for Willie Mays, for example.

I've followed the Colt 45s/Astros since their very first season. There have been quite a few talented players come through the organization. And as far as the most talented or best players, I feel Jeff Bagwell edges Cesar Cedeño.

But Craig Biggio still ranks as the greatest Astros player for my money. He has been the unofficial captain of the teams since about the time he moved from catcher to second base. That he ranks as a Hall of Famer in my book in terms of talent also adds to his lore. He plays hard, plays well and does so while also assuming the role as the leader in the clubhouse, on the field and off the field.

Completely understand those who will assert that Bagwell, or maybe even Nolan Ryan, were both the best and the greatest. But for me, Bidge gets the nod as the greatest to don an MLB Houston jersey.
    Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
    Astros Daily

It would be very difficult to argue with that. This upcoming year will mark his 20th with the ballclub and he has lead with both his character and his play. He has 500+more games and 600+ more hits than anyone else ever accumulated donning the jersey. I can think of no finer name to be synonymous with Houston than Biggio's.

Though I have not followed the Astros as long as you have, I would have to agree PopTop, though it is pretty close
    I feel Bagwell both through pure talent and performance with the team is the best Astro ever. I understand the arguements for Nolan, but Bags has a larger resume in Houston, due to playing a majority of the pro ball with the club (though I often neglect the Red Sox minor league years when looking at his professional career).
    As far as greatest Bagwell and Biggio both get large amounts of credit for playing there whole major league career with Houston, and both being great team leaders in that time. One of the places I think Biggio sets himself apart was when he resigned in the late 90s (maybe 1996). If I remember correctly after a very good year, he took a large pay cut in order to stay with the Astros, even though another team (Indians possibly) was offering him a more lucrative deal. He wanted to be a leader of the team, and he believed in Houston. Also Biggio's philanthropic work in the community helps make him the greatest Astro in my opinion.
    Go Astros!

Go Jackets!

Lets Go Micah!

Quote Originally Posted by BagwellFan
    One of the places I think Biggio sets himself apart was when he resigned in the late 90s (maybe 1996). If I remember correctly after a very good year, he took a large pay cut in order to stay with the Astros, even though another team (Indians possibly) was offering him a more lucrative deal.
    I think it was after the '96 season, though I wouldn't swear by that. The teams I recall being rumored for offering some bigger deals than Houston were Boston and Colorado. He has been a relative bargain the past few years.
    Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
    Astros Daily