Does anyone have any info about this new Australian baseball league?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aus Baseball Fan
    • Apr 2008

I do agree, the IBAF should work around MLB. After all, the MLB has the world's best players. Like it has been stated as well, the IBAF has plenty of notice to schedule games, and knows when the MLB season is going to be.

Now, regarding the Australian Baseball League. Has anyone got any new news? I keep reading there is going to be a new league and it never happens. So what's the deal? Please.

Comment

• twinsfan09
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Aus Baseball Fan View Post
      Now, regarding the Australian Baseball League. Has anyone got any new news? I keep reading there is going to be a new league and it never happens. So what's the deal? Please.
      I'm not sure if this is a different competition or not but this might help http://www.baseball.com.au/default.asp?Page=37821

Comment

• brewcrew82
        Mod against IL play!
        • Jan 2000

The Claxton Shield is a different competition to the League that has been planned for the last few years.
        It doesn't sound like the ABL will start up again in 2008 either.
        RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

• Westie
          • Sep 2008

the MLB based AUST league has been a very large story for a LONG time over here....

every year we are told this

"the AUST league is going to be starting up next season"

we're all still waiting......

the bottom line is this, MLB do NOT get enough interest or players of the MLB level playing out here to fund a complete league.

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
            Learning all the time.
            • Aug 2002

Still nothing about an Australian League. In fact the Claxton Shield has been launched for this season with the following from the Australian baseball Federation website:

The 2009 Claxton Shield was officially launched in Sydney on 23 October, in conjunction with Major League Baseball and the American Australian Association's World Series Watch Party.

Celebrating a 75 year milestone in 2009, Australia’s oldest and most prestigious baseball competition will herald an unprecedented format that many see as a vital step towards a revamped national competition.

To celebrate the 75th, or ‘Diamond’ Anniversary of the Claxton Shield, the Australian Baseball Federation will select and announce a Claxton Shield ‘Diamond Anniversary All-Star Team’.

Regarding the 'unprecedented format that many see as a vital step towards a revamped national competition', here is a link to the media release for the tournament.....not sure which media took it on board because I did not see anything in our daily newspaper.
            The Home of Baseball in Australia. Baseball.com.au is the media and content division of Baseball Australia (BA), the governing body for all levels of baseball, T-Ball and Little League across the country.

Here is the link to the schedule for the 2009 Claxton Shield:
            Last edited by DownUnderDodger; 11-08-2008, 08:58 PM. Reason: Updated/additional info.
            "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
              Learning all the time.
              • Aug 2002

The Australian Claxton Shield Showcase Round starts in less than a week. Here is a link to this week of baseball, being held in Sydney. Note the reference to the Family Day / MLB Roadshow to be held on the final day of the week. Unfortunately I will be in Newcastle to commentate a Surf Boat event otherwise I would check it out.
              "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

• Richard
                • Aug 2007

Apparently, a new Australian national league will be started soon. I saw the story on ibaf.com.

Comment

• NattyBaller
                  • Apr 2009

Nice to know expansion is on the horizon

Comment

• Richard
                    • Aug 2007

They want baseball facilities this time instead of playing on rugby or Australian rules football fields like they did in the past. Eventually the league may include some Asian cities. Let's hope it grows.

Comment

• NattyBaller
                      • Apr 2009

I read somewhere that the time might include teams in Asia. Though travel costs and whatnot make me dubious, it would be cool if they had a team in Jakarta or something.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X