Thread: Polo Grounds HELP

Polo Grounds HELP

Hey all you Polo Grounds experts. I got this interesting email today...

I visited your website for the first time and enjoyed
    your information and photos re the Polo Grounds.

Please note that one of your photos is very much in
    error. I refer to the one that shows a blue interior.
    At no time, includung the two Met years, (1962-63),
    was the interior blue. It was always green.

Sadly, this photo appears on several websites.
    However, there is no verbal, written , or visual proof
    that the interior was blue at any time. The blue photo
    is the result of either time taking its tole on the
    original photo or negative, or a color distortion that
    ocurred during the development process. The fact is
    that "The Big Green Bathtub" remained green until the
    very end.

I hope you will consider removing the blue photo from
    your website, for the sake of accuracy. Thank you for
    your condideration.
    Frank Cardone
    Any truth to this? I always thought that the interior was painted blue (or blueish) in the Mets/Jets years.

Thanks in advance

To the best of my recollection the Polo Grounds was indeed painted blue during the two years the Mets played there.
    RCL

Looking for 55 Sullivan Place in long ago Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by rcl986@aol.com
    To the best of my recollection the Polo Grounds was indeed painted blue during the two years the Mets played there.

That is correct.

When I saw my first Mets game in the PG, the first thing that struck me is that the green interior was replaced by Mets blue.

It remained that color for the 2 years when the Mets played there (1962-3).

Polo Grounds

Quote Originally Posted by EbtsFldGuy
    That is correct.

When I saw my first Mets game in the PG, the first thing that struck me is that the green interior was replaced by Mets blue.

It remained that color for the 2 years when the Mets played there (1962-3).
    Look at photos of the polo grounds from 1962 and 1963 and the color looks like green to me. and there are color photos out there from the PG from 1962 and 1963.this is a question that has been talked about on my polo grounds yahoo group.
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

I'd suggest that anyone wishing to see the color of the Polo Grounds during the 1962 & 1963 seasons go to the following:-

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/past/polo900.jpg

I think the picture speaks for itself!
    RCL

Polo Grounds

I'd suggest that anyone wishing to see the color of the Polo Grounds during the 1962 & 1963 seasons go to the following:-

I have player photos taken at the polo grounds in 1962 and 1963 and the PG looks very green to me in those photos. also checkout the simular thread here in the ballparks forum.

Quote Originally Posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
    I have player photos taken at the polo grounds in 1962 and 1963 and the PG looks very green to me in those photos. also checkout the simular thread here in the ballparks forum.
    I started going to the Polo Grounds in 1953. I attended the last New York Giants game played there in 1957. Somewhere I have 50' of 8mm film to commemorate that event. I also attended many Mets games played there in '62 & '63. When first entering a "renovated" Polo Grounds in 1962 I was taken aback by the new color and the addition of signs to the walls. I was completely struck by the contrast of what I remembered and what I now saw before me.The Mets (or the city) had spent between $250,000 and $350,000 to spruce up the old girl and that included a paint job in dark Royal Blue. Pictures, especially old pictures are just that, pictures. They tend to fade and discolor. Memories can also fade and discolor, but this one hasn't. I was there and can assure you that the Mets short two year tenure was spent at a Polo Grounds painted blue
    Last edited by rcl986@aol.com; 01-15-2007 at 06:18 AM.
    RCL

Polo Grounds

I started going to the Polo Grounds in 1953. I attended the last New York Giants game played there in 1957. Somewhere I have 50' of 8mm film to commemorate that event. I also attended many Mets games played there in '62 & '63. When first entering a "renovated" Polo Grounds in 1962 I was taken aback by the new color and the addition of signs to the walls. I was completely struck by the contrast of what I remembered and what I now saw before me.The Mets (or the city) had spent between $250,000 and $350,000 to spruce up the old girl and that included a paint job in dark Royal Blue. Pictures, especially old pictures are just that, pictures. They tend to fade and discolor. Memories can also fade and discolor, but this one hasn't. I was there and can assure you that the Mets short two year tenure was spent at a Polo Grounds painted blue
    OKAY THEN THIS MEANS THAT ALL OF THE COLOR PHOTOS AND people who have said that they were there and it was green are wrong. as i have said there are color photos out there that show the polo grounds green in 1962 and 1963.checkout this thread in the ballparks forum and there are color photos posted showing the polo grounds green in 1962 and 1963.

I take it from your reply that you were never at the Polo Grounds. Well, I could be wrong so I've written to an acquaintence of mine, Vic Ziegel. Vic you may know is a columnist for the New York Daily News. He covered all three New York baseball teams as well as the Mets when they came into being. I've put the question to him and I will be happy to abide by his reply. I will certainly post it in any case and will admit I'm wrong should that be the outcome. Incidentaly, why the attitude? We're talking about something that has the relevance of yesterdays half eaten pizza! No need to SHOUT, I may be over 60 but I'm not deaf. Not even internet deaf. Relax.
    Last edited by rcl986@aol.com; 01-15-2007 at 01:13 PM.
    RCL

Then how would you explain this?

After studying more photos, including this one and Mets and Titans trading cards of the era, I've concluded that this photo is an acurate representation. I believe that the Polo Grounds was indeed repainted in the early 60s, but that the "ballpark green" wasn't replaced by blue, but rather this color, which is a more blueish green, but still more green than blue.

I thin we've determined that that photo you posted wasn't the true color.

The link doesn't work.
    X
    Archie Bunker: All I can tell you, Edith, is I'm surprised at you! Dragging me off to a moving picture like that! It was absolutely disgusting!
    Edith Bunker: Well, I'm sorry, Archie, how was I to know? I thought it was a religious picture, "Cardinal Knowledge!"