View Poll Results: How Do We Rank Rogers Hornsby Today?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • I rank Rogers Hornsby a Top 10 Position Player.

87 58.78%
  • I do NOT rank Rogers Hornsby a Top 10 Player.

33 22.30%
  • I rank Rogers Hornsby a Top 5 All-Time Hitter .

86 58.11%
  • I do NOT rank Rogers Hornsby a Top 5 All-Time Hitter

26 17.57%
  • I rank Rogers Hornsby as my #1 Second Baseman.

95 64.19%
  • I do NOT rank Rogers Hornsby as my #1 Second Baseman.

27 18.24%
  • I STILL consider Hornsby the finest RH hitter ever.

69 46.62%
  • I only rank Joe Morgan over Hornsby at 2B.

6 4.05%
  • I only rank Eddie Collins over Hornsby at 2B.

10 6.76%
  • I rank both Collins/Morgan over Hornsby at 2B.

11 7.43%
  • Hornsby was a greater hitter than Gehrig.

10 6.76%
  • Gehrig was a greater hitter than Hornsby.

10 6.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Rogers Hornsby Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
    Oddly enough,he was supposedly known on occasion to sign his name as Roger and also not complain if referred to as Roger(especially if by someone loaning him money to bet on the horses)!

His mother's name was Mary Dallas Rogers Hornsby.

From the BaseballPage.co.:

"Born in Winters, Texas on April 27, 1896, Rogers Hornsby got his somewhat unusual first name from his mother Mary, whose maiden name was Rogers."

Below: from ESPN.com.

"Hornsby was born April 27, 1896, in Winters, Texas, and was named for his mother, Mary Rogers Hornsby."

Also this from another site:

"Ed Hornsby married Mary Dallas Rogers, from nearby Rogers Hill, in 1882."
    ". . . the Ruth, the whole Ruth and nothing but the Ruth . . ."

Today I was reading an article in the San Francisco Chronicle about Manny Ramirez, Jr. who plays baseball for the University of San Francisco. Towards the end of the article it mentions that the great, great nephew of Rogers Hornsby, Connor Hornsby, plays baseball for St. Mary's College. And he plays second base!

http://www.smcgaels.com/ViewArticle....&Q_SEASON=2014

Connor Hornsby 1.jpg

Connor Hornsby 2.jpg
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

OK, helborn, you brought up a couple of intersting points about Hornsby's hitting style. From what I've seen, Hornsby was a natural pull hitter, who corrected this tendency by the way he positioned himself in the batter's box. If you think this is a wild guess, youtube has a Hornsby hitting lesson, and it is pretty obvious what he's doing. Rogers started in the dead ball era. To pull down the left field line was not a good idea with a dead ball. A line drive would get caught by the third baseman. A fly ball would get caught (usually) by the left fielder. To my way of thinking, rather than adjust his swing, he adjusted his position in the batter's box until those liners went just over the pitcher, through the gap between second and short, and into center field. According to guys who played against him, he hit curve balls to left center, fast balls to center and sliders (used to be called "the fadeaway") to right center. He said he never tried to hit home runs, they just happened, sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by hellborn View Post
    I'm not trying to slam Hornsby or anybody here, but, if we look at the top 5 OPS+ guys, we have;
    3 guys basically from the '20s and '30s (Ruth, Gehrig, Hornsby),
    1 steroid user (OK, sue me, Barry), and
    1 Ted Williams.
    I'm just a web-browsing bozo who hasn't done any real research or study to justify the opinion, but this makes me suspicious that the conditions in the '20s and '30s made the most talented hitters stand out even more. Maybe the guys who were bold enough to just shed all the scientific baseball beliefs and just hit good pitches with all the authority they could muster leapfrogged those who were still concentrating on place hitting, I don't know.
    Of course, it is more than possible that it just turned out that the early live ball period happened to have 3 of the top 5 hitters of all time...nothing to say that can't be the case.
    When I'm asked about a top 5 list, I consciously try to pick players who represent the whole AL period of baseball...break things up into roughly 20 year chunks and pick the dominant guy from each chunk, within reason. Just my approach, it would probably crumble under serious examination. I don't include 19th century guys just because I don't know enough about them and how the game was played then. Again, not fair.

Another complicating factor is whether you're talking about picking a player as if you would have him for one peak season, a stretch of several top seasons, or a career. If we're imagining reserve clause time, and you have Aaron, that's about 20 really good years...with Hornsby, around a dozen amazing years. From what I've read, Rogers didn't decide to be a pinch hitting manager because it was more lucrative or interesting, his body was just shot. He probably made good money managing the Cubs, but not so with the Browns...he would have been a lot better off financially as a player if he still had it.

JRB's comment about Hornsby standing out as a righty on the top hitter lists made me think...Rogers also had a VERY unusual batting style, standing very far from the plate and stepping in diagonally, and also having a rather tremendous down-up hitch (this was actually pretty common back then). Yet, he may have been the best righty hitter ever...should make any coach stop and think about forcing players into a "standard" swing.

How'd you find out he was his nephew? I'm trying to think of more old-time players who have relatives playing now. Shoeless Joe, Hornsby, Carl Mays, Dick Schoefield, the original Bobby Estalella... can anyone think of anyone else? I wouldn't be surprised if Babe Ruth had a b-----d son or two or grandkids or great grandkids make the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky5 View Post
    How'd you find out he was his nephew? I'm trying to think of more old-time players who have relatives playing now. Shoeless Joe, Hornsby, Carl Mays, Dick Schoefield, the original Bobby Estalella... can anyone think of anyone else? I wouldn't be surprised if Babe Ruth had a b-----d son or two or grandkids or great grandkids make the majors.
    Carl Yastrzemski has a grandson or nephew or somebody like that playing college ball.
    "[Willie] Wilson has unreal speed. He's a walking double." Reggie Jackson

"It was an insurance run, so I hit it to the Prudential building." Reggie Jackson

"The only way I'm going to get a Gold Glove is with a can of spray paint." Reggie Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    Carl Yastrzemski has a grandson or nephew or somebody like that playing college ball.
    That's right I remember hearing about that. Yaz isn't that old but a grandchild is far enough away I think.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky5 View Post
    That's right I remember hearing about that. Yaz isn't that old but a grandchild is far enough away I think.
    He's gotta be over 70 by now, right? One of the guys who was in my wedding is in his late 70s, and he was a young guy working in the 1960s when Yaz came up. I am not saying 70s is "old," don't want to get in trouble here, but that is old enough to be a great-grandpa in many cases. I just don't remember the exact connection, but the name was a dead giveaway! I saw him play in the college world series a while back, can't remember when. I was rootin' for the kid because I was an enormous Yaz fan back in the '80s.
    "[Willie] Wilson has unreal speed. He's a walking double." Reggie Jackson

"It was an insurance run, so I hit it to the Prudential building." Reggie Jackson

"The only way I'm going to get a Gold Glove is with a can of spray paint." Reggie Jackson

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617