Page 158 of 190 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168 ... LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,160 of 3783

Thread: Polo Grounds [IV] / Brush Stadium (1911-1963)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lpeters199; 04-28-2012 at 07:56 AM.

9/25/55, Leo walks away from the Giants. Love the "PUT A Smile IN YOUR SMOKING" on the old Chesterfield ad, only there for a short time.

48795i_lg.jpeg
    Larger size

http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/L...px?lotid=35169

pick it up, pick it up!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

About Barney Doyle

Hey Mygirljess,

I was wondering if you could help me out. I think the man below Barney Doyle is my great great uncle. I was wondering if you knew anything about him or where he was from? If he is who I think he is, his name was Bernard Doyle and he was born in Ireland in 1890 and was from Sallynoggin in Co. Dublin. His parents would have been Kate and Christopher Doyle. Any information you have on him or about the event at the polo grounds would be much appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Kind regards

Clay Darcy
    Wicklow Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Mygirljess View Post
    Time Magazine, July 17, 1950.

That morning, burly Barney Doyle went to early Mass, hurried through breakfast and left the house at 8:30—to get a good seat for the doubleheader between the Giants and the Dodgers. Doyle, 53, a ship's carpenter, was a faithful Giant fan; whenever he could, he went to watch his favorites. He took along a friend's son, freckled Otto Flaig, 13.

From their seats in the upper grandstand of Manhattan's vast Polo Grounds, they faced home plate and, above it, rising over the top of the oval grandstand, a row of dingy apartment houses on Coogan's Bluff. In one of these houses, a young Negro, with a .45 pistol he had found in Central Park, was preparing for a celebration all by himself; he had saved his only bullet for July 4.

In the stadium, Doyle, Flaig and 49,000 others sat watching as the Dodgers, at 20 minutes after noon, walked onto the bright green grass of the field.

Up on Coogan's Bluff, 14-year-old Robert Peebles had climbed onto the roof of his dirty yellow apartment house, raised his .45 pistol and fired it, for the fun of it, into the air. His bullet looped swiftly over the Polo Grounds, sped toward Seat 3, Row C, Section 42. Just as Barney Doyle, his score card in hand, turned to speak to young Otto Flaig, the bullet smashed into Doyle's left temple, sank into his brain and stayed there. Doyle, suddenly bleeding, slumped forward.

"What's the matter?" asked Otto, and got no answer: Doyle was already dead. After police carried off the body and helped Otto away, standees scrambled for the two vacant seats, and the game began.

Quote Originally Posted by cdarcy View Post
    Hey Mygirljess,

I was wondering if you could help me out. I think the man below Barney Doyle is my great great uncle. I was wondering if you knew anything about him or where he was from? If he is who I think he is, his name was Bernard Doyle and he was born in Ireland in 1890 and was from Sallynoggin in Co. Dublin. His parents would have been Kate and Christopher Doyle. Any information you have on him or about the event at the polo grounds would be much appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Kind regards

Clay Darcy
    Wicklow Ireland!
    Various articles have been posted in this mammoth thread about this incident, so if a repeat, I apologize, but the New York Times article may help. Some family info near the end.

pgdoyle1.jpg

Edit: Another very interesting item, a reply to a recent NYT article about the Brush Stairway adjoining the old PG area. Looks like County Dublin is a match. Do you have a relative David O'Connor in the UK? Mr. Doyle may very well be your great great uncle.

doyle2.jpg
    Last edited by alpineinc; 05-01-2012 at 07:39 AM.

Wow, more great forensics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mygirljess View Post
    Wow, more great forensics.
    The most interesting part is Barney Doyle being James J. Braddock's earliest manager, around 1923-1926, right before he turned pro, when he was "pushed out" and James' brother Joe took over, although Joe Gould would become his manager soon after for the rest of his career. His character is not in the "Cinderella Man" movie (which is set in the 1930's), but he's mentioned in Jeremy Schaap's book a few times. Crazy world.
    Last edited by alpineinc; 05-01-2012 at 01:33 PM.

A source for some nice shots (some of which are already on this thread):

http://gothamist.com/2008/07/21/did_...ic=20#photo-22
    Still patiently waiting @ at Sullivan & McKeever (once THE corner in MLB) for the Brooks to return from their extended road trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Bunter View Post
    A source for some nice shots (some of which are already on this thread):

http://gothamist.com/2008/07/21/did_...ic=20#photo-22

Great find, and yes, most of the photos are noted as sourced from this thread! Apparently this IS the ultimate source for PG pics on the 'net, for sure.

I like how the photographer took the photo not worrying about the kid lounging around upper left.

3a8659bf-26e2-456a-8368-a29dff46521c_lg.jpeg
    Larger size

http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/L...px?lotid=28652

Last edited by Lpeters199; 05-09-2012 at 10:00 PM.

The New York City's Department of Records has digitized more than 870,000 photos that date back to the mid-1800s taken by city engineers, photographers and police detectives. Here is the link to the Polo Grounds Images: http://nycma.lunaimaging.com/luna/se...q=polo+grounds
    ------------
    I have been to:

Citi Field, Shea, NYS, RYS, PNC, Fenway, AT&T, CBP, Rangers Ballpark, Minute Maid Park, Wrigley, Dodger Stadium, Angel Stadium of Anaheim, PETCO Park, Coors, Chase Field, Turner, Miami, OP@CY, U.S.F., Comerica, Nationals Park, GABP, Progressive, Trop, Miller, Oakland-A C., Dolphin, RFK, Olympic Stadium, Metrodome

Quote Originally Posted by cringey View Post
    The New York City's Department of Records has digitized more than 870,000 photos that date back to the mid-1800s taken by city engineers, photographers and police detectives. Here is the link to the Polo Grounds Images: http://nycma.lunaimaging.com/luna/se...q=polo+grounds

Wow, a major find.

Page 158 of 190 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168 ... LastLast