Page 58 of 190 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 3788

Thread: Polo Grounds [IV] / Brush Stadium (1911-1963)

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    Gary
    I'm not sure which picture you are saying is flipped? Every shot that I looked at showed the housing projects behind 1st base/left field. RF had a parking lot behind it. I don't see a picture that is fipped.
    The original LIFE pic is reversed online. I had posted it that way, but when I reversed the image back, I renamed it the same on my photobucket, so now I guess it's linking to the revised photo twice.

[QUOTE=Lpeters199;1367871]Schoolboy Rowe did indeed reach the bleachers in batting practice in 1933. This is verification from his teammate, Charlie Gehringer.

The bleacher arrangement was different before 1923, but Babe Ruth reached the centerfield bleachers on June 13 and June 14, 1921 in a series against Detroit. Distances estimated at 480' and 490' by Jenkinson. The 433' fence you hear tell of before 1923 was actually to deep right-center, not center.

Adcock, Aaron and Brock did it in modern times in actual games. Yes, that's Lou Brock. Don't ask me how. I have no idea!

[QUOTE=stuarthouse;1368249]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lpeters199 View Post
    Schoolboy Rowe did indeed reach the bleachers in batting practice in 1933. This is verification from his teammate, Charlie Gehringer.

The bleacher arrangement was different before 1923, but Babe Ruth reached the centerfield bleachers on June 13 and June 14, 1921 in a series against Detroit. Distances estimated at 480' and 490' by Jenkinson. The 433' fence you hear tell of before 1923 was actually to deep right-center, not center.

Adcock, Aaron and Brock did it in modern times in actual games. Yes, that's Lou Brock. Don't ask me how. I have no idea!
    Whats really strange, It's done one time in an actual game by Adcock, if I recall 1953.............. and then it's done on successive days Aaron and Brock.
    This had to be the longest or one of the longest Brock ever hit, not a long ball hitter. At best in the area of 430+ feet.

DiggerODell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tugger View Post
    Obviously ashamed of winning Game 1 of the WS on a pop up.
    This is the sort of photo I can sit back in my chair and stare at for entire day! tugger say's it's after game 1 of the WS . . . I don't know. It could be any day after a Giants loss to look . . . or a bad day inside the "want ads" . . . I love the disgarded sheet of the newsprint which looks flung back upon the benches. Absolutely wonderful photography . . . wish I had that knack. Thanks Alpine for posting it as well as the others.

Art of a moment frozen.

Howdy Folks...

I am a newbie to this site... but a passion for The Polo Grounds has 'boiled in my blood' for 48 of my 55 years since my beloved, late Pops took me to NY Titan games in 1960, and the beloved Mets-Follies of '62-'63; I still have the Titan-program and a popcorn-cup/megaphone in mint-condition... perhaps I will scan some of that later but I DO have some items I have NEVER seen on ANY site; These are of the demolition of the PG and have been scanned & 'Photoshop-enhanced' from crumbling, 44-year-old copies containing articles/pics from The NY Post, NY Times and Daily News from early 1964 as Shea was 'looming in reality'... right thru the time the PG-Towers complex was completed. My Dad had been a die-hard NY-Giant fan... and this wonderful PG-thread makes me remember how lucky I was to have had him take me there... Time for me to share all these clippings he'd saved for me... as a piece of HIS boyhood was being dismantled, much in the way I'm feeling:applaud:, now with Shea! Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

More pg images!

Enjoy these as well!

...and just a few more!

Collect them all!

Great stuff! Last photo is particularly sad.

Unbelievable find ! Puts to rest a few urban legends !:
    1) That the Polo Grounds was falling apart.
    2) That nobody cared about the PG like they did Ebbets Field
    3) that the fans in 1964 had the same feelings for the old vs new ballparks just like we do in 2008.

If you could post your stuff under the Brooklyn Dodgers/NY Giants forums, it could help the Jints fans in their arguments over there.

Three bucks a seat.... Holy S.

Quote Originally Posted by Nails4 View Post
    Three bucks a seat.... Holy S.
    No kidding. I have seen them priced as high as $4K each. Think of that return!

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerODell View Post
    This is the sort of photo I can sit back in my chair and stare at for entire day! tugger say's it's after game 1 of the WS . . . I don't know. It could be any day after a Giants loss to look . . . or a bad day inside the "want ads" . . . I love the disgarded sheet of the newsprint which looks flung back upon the benches. Absolutely wonderful photography . . . wish I had that knack. Thanks Alpine for posting it as well as the others.

Art of a moment frozen.
    I was being a wiseacre. Have no idea when pic was taken.

polo grounds revelations...

600 seats to yonkers raceway?
    passed by there a million times, never knew...
    i'd guess that those would have been used in the stands between the clubhouse and the thruway?
    look like plastic ones have been there a while...

visiting polo grounds...

while in ny for shea's last weekend i had a chance to visit the polo grounds site with the legendary bill "the baker", heard frequently on wfan.
    here he is at shea's last game also...

April 1964

Hello All,
    I have visited this site many times and I love this thread about my favorite old ballpark, the Polo Grounds. Although I never saw her when she was still standing, I did manage to pass by the site a couple of years ago while visiting New York as a touring musician. We came down through the Bronx on Jerome Avenue, past Yankee Stadium and crossed over the river where I got a clear view of Coogan's Bluff. My heart almost skipped a beat!

Did you ever wonder what it would have been like to sit in her stands along about twilight on April 9, 1964...the night before demolition began? Would the old girl creak and moan and would all the old ghosts be taking a last run out of the dugout, around the bases, out through centerfield and up the clubhouse steps? Could you hear the voices of Russ Hodges, Ernie Harwell, Gordon McClendon, Red Barber and the echo of the sharp crack of Thomson's bat? I've often wondered what her last night was like when she was still intact. You've got to think that the proud old Polo Grounds would not go willingly under the wrecker's ball. Just a thought.....

Keep up the good posts!
    JAS1960

Here is a long clip from Game 1 of the 1936 World Series at the Polo Grounds

http://www.thoughtequity.com/video/clip/1617552_039.do

DiggerODell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lollar View Post
    Here is a long clip from Game 1 of the 1936 World Series at the Polo Grounds

http://www.thoughtequity.com/video/clip/1617552_039.do
    I love this video clip! Say? Is that John McCain when he was a wee bit younger throwing out the first pitch from the stands, just after they show the Babe at the beginning? Having visited there, the old Polo Grounds site, makes this video clip special . . thanks to ya lollar.

Great stuff.
    Considering the year, the film quality is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by parlo View Post
    Great stuff.
    Considering the year, the film quality is pretty good.
    Yes it is. What I did was open up the game log from baseball-reference.com then replayed it bit by bit to figure out what was going on. Lots of great players in that clip.

One thing to note. That #5 for the Yanks who doubles (and is almost out at second) is NOT Joe D. Frank Crossetti wore #5 for the Yanks in '36. Dimaggio was #9

Fastastic find --- a great video. I found myself repeating the part about half-way through, when the camera pans above home plate, above the roof, and you can see three buildings atop the Bluff.

We've gone round and round before about the exact path of the Brush Staircase in many threads without much luck iirc.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Page 58 of 190 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast