Page 46 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 3702

Thread: Polo Grounds [IV] / Brush Stadium (1911-1963)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    The images are reversed... the housing project is shown behind the right field stands instead of the correct left field seats.
    Here it is, brightened and tightened up a bit (and finally flipped the right way!)

Last edited by alpineinc; 03-19-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Here it is, brightened and tightened up a bit.
    Brightened and tightened, but still flipped.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Here it is, flipped.

Polo Grounds.JPG

Oh crap, knew I forgot something.

Now, that is one GREAT shot! I don't know who found this LIFE magazine resource, but there is some amazing stuff for the Polo Grounds and Yankee Stadium coming from it.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLillard1 View Post
    Now, that is one GREAT shot! I don't know who found this LIFE magazine resource, but there is some amazing stuff for the Polo Grounds and Yankee Stadium coming from it.

Richard
    I agree, there is a wealth of information out there just waiting to be discovered. What I am finding incredibly interesting is the fact that "Fenway Park" returns zero (none, nothing) results. Meanwhile, all the New York teams have a ton of presence. I wonder what that means.

I'm wondering if TIME has an online resource dedicated to the New York teams because of the new stadiums, so we will likely never see anything about the other teams out there?

I would be curious as to what many of these publishing companies have in their vaults though. Much of it locked away from the public. So sad.

In any case, this definitely shows what other publishing companies are capable of presenting to us; masses of unseen photos, buried deep in their archives.

Makes me wonder what the New York Times, Post and other local papers have stashed away.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLillard1 View Post

Richard
    I'm going to take credit for it, but I stole the archive link off of another messageboard. But I think I brought it over here for ballpark pics. Not that I need credit for it, cause it's a resource for us all

Luke joins in, with Joe Adcock, Lou Brock and Hank Aaron homer into centerfield bleachers. Supposedly, although I have never found any proof, pitcher Schoolboy Rowe hit one in there in batting practice.

Bob Seeds hit a IPH that landed alongside the steps to the clubhouse, left or right and he may have reached the bleachers.

A bit off on the feet no where near 490 but still a good poke, those corner bleachers left and right changed over the yearS, home plate was moved more than a couple of times, they ranged from around 420+ to 430+.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1950 - family photo from escapedtowisconsin on flickr.

Gary
    I'm not sure which picture you are saying is flipped? Every shot that I looked at showed the housing projects behind 1st base/left field. RF had a parking lot behind it. I don't see a picture that is fipped.

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    Gary
    I'm not sure which picture you are saying is flipped? Every shot that I looked at showed the housing projects behind 1st base/left field. RF had a parking lot behind it. I don't see a picture that is fipped.
    That's right. The see-through stands are on the third-base-leftfield side.

Quote Originally Posted by tugger View Post
    That's right. The see-through stands are on the third-base-leftfield side.
    Sorry, I meant to say 3rd base/LF (I typed 1st base/ LF). There were no projects on the 1st base/RF side.

I prefer the pictures before 1950, when there were no projects next to the Polo Grounds period.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
    Luke joins in, with Joe Adcock, Lou Brock and Hank Aaron homer into centerfield bleachers. Supposedly, although I have never found any proof, pitcher Schoolboy Rowe hit one in there in batting practice.

Bob Seeds hit a IPH that landed alongside the steps to the clubhouse, left or right and he may have reached the bleachers.

A bit off on the feet no where near 490 but still a good poke, those corner bleachers left and right changed over the yearS, home plate was moved more than a couple of times, they ranged from around 420+ to 430+.
    Schoolboy Rowe did indeed reach the bleachers in batting practice in 1933. This is verification from his teammate, Charlie Gehringer.

http://books.google.com/books?id=0AE...sult#PPA197,M1
    Last edited by Lpeters199; 12-01-2008 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lpeters199 View Post
    Schoolboy Rowe did indeed reach the bleachers in batting practice in 1933. This is verification from his teammate, Charlie Gehringer.

http://books.google.com/books?id=0AE...sult#PPA197,M1
    I'm not going to dispute what Charlie said, what I meant was I have never seen it written up in any newspaper article. Of course that does not mean it didn't happen, doubtful an event taking place in batting practice would make the news but it has happened at times, something that extraordinary.

Rowe was a big poweful guy, much bigger than the average player in that time period.

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    Gary
    The original LIFE pic is reversed online. I had posted it that way, but when I reversed the image back, I renamed it the same on my photobucket, so now I guess it's linking to the revised photo twice.

[QUOTE=Lpeters199;1367871]Schoolboy Rowe did indeed reach the bleachers in batting practice in 1933. This is verification from his teammate, Charlie Gehringer.

The bleacher arrangement was different before 1923, but Babe Ruth reached the centerfield bleachers on June 13 and June 14, 1921 in a series against Detroit. Distances estimated at 480' and 490' by Jenkinson. The 433' fence you hear tell of before 1923 was actually to deep right-center, not center.

Adcock, Aaron and Brock did it in modern times in actual games. Yes, that's Lou Brock. Don't ask me how. I have no idea!

[QUOTE=stuarthouse;1368249]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lpeters199 View Post

The bleacher arrangement was different before 1923, but Babe Ruth reached the centerfield bleachers on June 13 and June 14, 1921 in a series against Detroit. Distances estimated at 480' and 490' by Jenkinson. The 433' fence you hear tell of before 1923 was actually to deep right-center, not center.

Adcock, Aaron and Brock did it in modern times in actual games. Yes, that's Lou Brock. Don't ask me how. I have no idea!
    Whats really strange, It's done one time in an actual game by Adcock, if I recall 1953.............. and then it's done on successive days Aaron and Brock.
    This had to be the longest or one of the longest Brock ever hit, not a long ball hitter. At best in the area of 430+ feet.

DiggerODell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tugger View Post
    Obviously ashamed of winning Game 1 of the WS on a pop up.
    This is the sort of photo I can sit back in my chair and stare at for entire day! tugger say's it's after game 1 of the WS . . . I don't know. It could be any day after a Giants loss to look . . . or a bad day inside the "want ads" . . . I love the disgarded sheet of the newsprint which looks flung back upon the benches. Absolutely wonderful photography . . . wish I had that knack. Thanks Alpine for posting it as well as the others.

Art of a moment frozen.

Howdy Folks...

I am a newbie to this site... but a passion for The Polo Grounds has 'boiled in my blood' for 48 of my 55 years since my beloved, late Pops took me to NY Titan games in 1960, and the beloved Mets-Follies of '62-'63; I still have the Titan-program and a popcorn-cup/megaphone in mint-condition... perhaps I will scan some of that later but I DO have some items I have NEVER seen on ANY site; These are of the demolition of the PG and have been scanned & 'Photoshop-enhanced' from crumbling, 44-year-old copies containing articles/pics from The NY Post, NY Times and Daily News from early 1964 as Shea was 'looming in reality'... right thru the time the PG-Towers complex was completed. My Dad had been a die-hard NY-Giant fan... and this wonderful PG-thread makes me remember how lucky I was to have had him take me there... Time for me to share all these clippings he'd saved for me... as a piece of HIS boyhood was being dismantled, much in the way I'm feeling:applaud:, now with Shea! Enjoy!

More pg images!

Enjoy these as well!

...and just a few more!

Collect them all!

Great stuff! Last photo is particularly sad.

Unbelievable find ! Puts to rest a few urban legends !:
    1) That the Polo Grounds was falling apart.
    2) That nobody cared about the PG like they did Ebbets Field
    3) that the fans in 1964 had the same feelings for the old vs new ballparks just like we do in 2008.

If you could post your stuff under the Brooklyn Dodgers/NY Giants forums, it could help the Jints fans in their arguments over there.

Three bucks a seat.... Holy S.

Page 46 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast