Page 123 of 148 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 3686

Thread: Polo Grounds [IV] / Brush Stadium (1911-1963)

Circa 1920, set up for boxing? (per source)

http://www.lelands.com/Auction/Aucti...ca-1920?page=3
    Last edited by alpineinc; 02-28-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    This was after the 1922-23 expansion , so I would guess it was the legendary Dempsey-Firpo fight. Jack won in a KO but back in the clubhouse he asked his trainers after the fight 'what round did he knock ME out?".

http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...982271,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    This was after the 1922-23 expansion , so I would guess it was the legendary Dempsey-Firpo fight. Jack won in a KO but back in the clubhouse he asked his trainers after the fight 'what round did he knock ME out?".

http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...982271,00.html
    I believe the stadium is set up for a religious service.
    Notice the clubhouse is overbuilt like a church.

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    Maybe the tribute to the Irish hunger striker MacSwiney on 10/31/20?

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Maybe the tribute to the Irish hunger striker MacSwiney on 10/31/20?

Still has to be 1923 or later. The grandstands are expanded.

I bet it's a Jehova's Witness gathering.

Since we're all guessing, I'll say Bingo-Rama, or a massive Rock Paper Scissors event.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post

Tough to pinpoint an exact date. The 1923 expansion is finished. There are no lights on the Polo Grounds so that means it is before 1940. Also the 9th Ave EL is still running which came down in 1940. There looks to be advertising on the out field walls. From previous pictures posted here, there were ads on the walls during the 1933 world series. I don't think there were ads on the walls during the 1924 WS. So.....it will be tough to pin this one down.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67827566@N00/2594406602/
    There were many religious events at the Polo Grounds. Here is a site that shows a Catholic Mass in the 1950's.

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/t...3-everett.html

These pictures show some kind of structures at both the top and the bottom of the Brush Stairway. Does anyone know what they were?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
    Since we're all guessing, I'll say Bingo-Rama, or a massive Rock Paper Scissors event.
    It's obviously the world's biggest game of musical chairs.

I have always thought the structures were ticket booths. One on Edgecombe Ave for those who descend the staircase, and a second booth for those arriving via the Speedway?
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

I have always thought the structures were ticket booths. One on Edgecombe Ave for those who descend the staircase, and a second booth for those arriving via the Speedway?
    Very possible. I hadn't noticed them until I saw the zoomed in section a few days ago on the Fine Art America site.

Last edited by Lpeters199; 03-10-2012 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lpeters199 View Post
    Very possible. I hadn't noticed them until I saw the zoomed in section a few days ago on the Fine Art America site.
    One of the big PG books mentioned the booths - I think. Probably Stew Thornley's "Land of the Giants." Do we have any photos of the PG itself, exterior, behind home - along the Speedway? If we don't see ticket windows there (or very many of them) then I'm sticking with the booth guess.

Not much help.

Don't know if I've ever seen this angle...

Quoting myself... interesting.

At second glance, a few things popped into my head.

1. The PG is packed - yet ZERO cars are parked on the south side of the stadium?
    2. I've never noticed the evidence of the LF overhang in a photo like this, as you can see the LF wall dissapear behind the 21 foot overhang in deep Left Center and continue back towards the foul pole and beyond. But, the depth (how many rows) of the left field upper deck appears to be the same or very similar to the depth of the upper deck in right field, judging by the size of the roof of each. So then... how and WHY did this overhang develop? Surely when the upper deck was being built, they KNEW they would create this massive overhang... but why were the OF walls placed in such a way that an eventual overhang would extend 21 feet onto the field?
    3. The location fo the light tower on teh 1B side of the infield is atrocious. That shadow must have drifted over the mound EVERY day, specifically EARLIER in the day that this photo was taken. Crazy if you ask me. At this point, the shadow would LENGTHEN as the game went on, and drift slightly towards the area between the mound and the second base bag if my exceedingly amateurish science skills are correct.
    4. There appears to be something painted on the street at the base of the Brush Staircase walkway... telling fans to cross between "here" or something similar. White paint.. looks like this |------ words words words ------|
    5. No parking directly behind the plate it appears. Fans black sedans lined up on the left there... and lots of light colored cars on the right, all very similar. Taxis? Maybe it's late in the game?
    6. The "NY GIANTS" is very much off center. Never noticed that before. Not that its bad, but just noticed it was over to the 1B side a bit.
    7. The cars at the top of the photo are packed in there tight. Nobody is leaving quickly after the game that's for sure.
    8. The CF is playing very shallow.. or is that an accepted place? Makes Mays' incredible catch all the more impressive if you ask me, and makes the clouts of Luke Easter, Adcock, Brock and Aaron all the more amazing.
    9. No Chesterfield or Have a Knick on the CF clubhouse. How many years was the clubhouse wall unadorned like this? Never really noticed or looked it up.

10. Just the most unique and interesting park ever.... Love it.

There are also marked off areas across the street, probably for fire hydrants. One is next to the cab stand and two are closer to the park. The small picture here shows one further down the street.

Richie Ashburn must have played deep for Lou Brock, because he had plenty of time to get to the bleachers.

The Brush Stairs area seems to be excavated out. Was that done just to install the stairs? The bluff is solid rock.

Mysteries abound about this lovable park and its immediate area.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lpeters199; 03-11-2012 at 04:05 PM.

The "ball" in that photo is far too big to be a ball. Doctoring newspaper photos was very common then. The ball may be in that same position, granted, but for certain??

Looks like Fire Hydrant may be correct...

The "ball" in that photo is far too big to be a ball. Doctoring newspaper photos was very common then. The ball may be in that same position, granted, but for certain??

Looks like Fire Hydrant may be correct...
    That might not be the ball but Ashburn is looking up, so he made it to the bleachers in plenty of time.

1. ...The PG is packed - yet ZERO cars are parked on the south side of the stadium?
    they did not own the land, and rail transit was the way to go. when the city folk left for the suburbs they didn't drive to that side of the
    river (vs. oys)

2. ...WHY did this overhang develop? Surely when the upper deck was being built, they KNEW they would create this massive overhang... but why were the OF walls placed in such a way that an eventual overhang would extend 21 feet onto the field?
    the outfield walls were in place before the upper deck was constructed, overhangs such as tigers and pg's were to maximize seating capacity.

3. The location fo the light tower on teh 1B side of the infield is atrocious.
    if the light towers in the infield were located further out towards the foul poles the side of the ball facing hitters in night games would not have been
    sufficiently lit. the curve of the structure made the locations necessary.

5. No parking directly behind the plate it appears. Fans black sedans lined up on the left there... and lots of light colored cars on the right, all very similar. Taxis? Maybe it's late in the game?
    fire laws probably prevented vehicle parking directly in front of an exit. cars on the left were probably employees cars, parking set up at oys was this way into the early 60's. on the right are cabs.

8. The CF is playing very shallow.. or is that an accepted place?
    [I] probably the 8-9 place hitters up.
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

1. Plenty of fans from Manhattan and the other boroughs no doubt attended games. Sure, suburban fans may have had a barrier (both mental and physical) to deal with in the river.

2. Doesn't really answer the question. Of course the OF walls were in tha location long before the upper deck was built. But, for presumably identical second decks to cause the overhang, were the number of rows in LF 21 feet shorter than the number of rows in RF BEFORE the upper deck went up? That's the question, and why? Possibly land constraints due to the railroad? Or are the second decks not identical in size/depth (rows of seats).

3. Of course you wouldn't move the light towers toward the foul poles without installing one behind the plate as well. The field has to be lit sufficiently. Certainly one of the configurations available would have avoided a shadow on the mound DAILY.

8. Bottom of the order up. Good call, probably correct.

Page 123 of 148 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133 ... LastLast