Thread: Ichiro Suzuki: Planning a Homecoming to the Seattle Mariners?

Ichiro Suzuki: Planning a Homecoming to the Seattle Mariners?

I could have put this in the Ichiro thread but thought I would isolate with its own thread, will see if anyone comments on it

Should the Mariners consider re-signing Ichiro. His figures seem to stack up against some the current Mariners, albeit with limited plate appearances, but realistically he needs 2 seasons to reach his milestone, could room be made for him or should McClendon look to build on youth & dismiss nostalgia

Ichiro turns 41 in eight days– and coincidentally he shares a birthday with the Mariners’ own Robinson Cano! but he’s only turning 32. That’s old by any stretch of the baseball imagination. He wouldn’t be an everyday player (hopefully).

However, looking at the Mariners roster, Ichiro’s 1.0 WAR in 2014 would have been tied for 8th among hitters on the team with Logan Morrison. He would have had the 3rd highest WAR among Mariners outfielders, with Dustin Ackley at 2.1 and Michael Saunders at 1.9 according to FanGraphs.
    http://sodomojo.com/2014/10/14/ichir...ding%20on%20FS

The case against his return

Ichiro is rumored to be searching for a home to slap his 3,000th MLB hit before he retires. He’s currently only 156 shy at 2,844. Realistically, he’ll need a season and a half to make it there. Ichiro is coming off of his lowest hit-total season at only 102, granted he only had 385 plate appearances on the season. If he were to come to Seattle, I’ve already shown that he’d be looking at similar-to-less playing time than what he had in New York.
    http://sodomojo.com/2014/10/15/seatt...g-back-ichiro/

Ichiro can make it in one season if he finds the right situation and plays nearly everyday. He can still hit.

I'd say the Mariners need to focus on making the playoffs with the talent they have now and forget about nostalgia. Hope I'm not ruining his birthday by posting that...

It's kind of sad to think about Ichiro trying to make a deal with a team that's so bad that they're willing to let him start.
    "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

maybe there is a Team that are in tank for draft picks/salary dump mode (like the cubs in the last years but now they try to compete again) that is willing to pick him up to attract some fans. Ichiro would have to take a big pay cut though.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and can’t run, most of the time he’s clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. – Dusty Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    maybe there is a Team that are in tank for draft picks/salary dump mode (like the cubs in the last years but now they try to compete again) that is willing to pick him up to attract some fans. Ichiro would have to take a big pay cut though.
    I still believe Ichiro has something in the tank for a team needing someone to attract fans, however I don't feel the Cubs fall into this category. The Cubs with their abundance of highly regarded prospects (Bryant, Russell, Soler, Hendricks, Baez and more) AND established young stars (Rizzo, Arrieta, and Castro) are now in the phase of looking to add a solid OF bat, perhaps Upton or Heyward from the Braves to progress toward playoff status.
    Take Solace in the knowledge that, whatever else can be said of you,you didn't trade Brock for Broglio

Fairy Tale ending - 2015 Ichiro plays in Seattle, helping them to their first WS title. Rides into sunset.

If only Ichiro had entered the majors just one season earlier he'd likely already have 3,000 hits. Ichiro hit .284 in 2014. With a .284 BA Ichiro would need 550 at bats to get the 156 hits to reach 3,000 hits.
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 10-24-2014 at 05:08 PM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Quote Originally Posted by LI METS FAN View Post
    Fairy Tale ending - 2015 Ichiro plays in Seattle, helping them to their first WS title. Rides into sunset.
    Ichiro used to have 156 hits by August 1st. I think he's going to reach 3,000 H.
    If he has a poor season in 2015 he retires. If he reaches 3,000 hits next year, he also probably retires. The most interesting situation would be if Ichiro has a pretty good season, but finishes 2015 less than 20 hits short of the milestone (2980H+ but less than 3,000). Then will a team bring him back for a 16th major league season in 2016? He wouldn't be the first position player or designated hitter who's played until they were 42 or 43.

Ichiro is sort of like the Fran Tarkington of baseball if you will.