Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Felix - better than ever

Felix - better than ever

Seattle Times article states that Felix is stronger and healthier after an offseason of working out and eating healthier.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...76_mari26.html
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

I read the article. It's all hype, just away to try to get the fans excited.
    Much Ado about nothing.
    Here's to baseball... The best sport made.

"There are two theories on hitting a knuckleball. Unfortunately, neither of them works." ― Charlie Lau

King Felix!

I read the article. It's all hype, just away to try to get the fans excited.
    Much Ado about nothing.
    I was somewhat skeptical as well, but apparently a wide variety of people notice the difference - M's front office, the media, and even Felix himself. Plus, no matter how much you want to hype something, you can't make up the fact that he's lost a good bit of weight.
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

losing wieght is all fine and dandy, but there is no way to for sure tell if that will translate into a better season.

"There are two theories on hitting a knuckleball. Unfortunately, neither of them works." ― Charlie Lau

6. Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntaledmarinerfan
    losing wieght is all fine and dandy, but there is no way to for sure tell if that will translate into a better season.
    He has to do at least a little better...try pitching with 30 lbs. added to you.

He was good LAST season...just really unlucky. His K/BB was outstanding, his HR rate improved as the year ended and his GB/FB remained very high...a lot of grounders found holes on him last year and his HRs all seemed to come at the worst moments. He'll be fine.

As for the weight loss thing...it's not just that he lost weight...it's also that he added some muscle mass. Lost 30 or 40 pounds of fat and added 15 pounds of muscle to fill out his frame. The dude is RIPPED now...very althletic. It's going to help him stay in games longer and not look winded by the fourth inning like he did for most of the first half of last year. Didn't you guys noticed how he was always pouring with sweat by the fourth or fifth inning last year?

8. Yeah for real, it can be summed up like this...a player CAN'T be better off FAT, it's that simple.
    Bring Jr. back!

Blog Entries

Smile Mickey Lolich

Mickey packed a few extra pounds during his playing days and it worked for him. Appropriately, Mickey opened a donut-shop in suburban Detroit after his retirement. Give me a maple bar !

Lolich would probably have been better had he not been obese...but it is true that you can be a good pticher and be big...(David Wells...heh)

Always keep an open mind and avoid superlatives about players like Felix. He has all the makings of a stud, but so did Beltre when he first came up and all he's had was one monster year and several others of not living up to potential. Beltre is better than his career performance, IMO, but not nearly as good as his 2004 performance. He's become an average third baseman, despite his supporters' hyperbole.

Felix had a rough season last year and should only get better, but don't expect a '2004 Beltre' year out of him. Not yet, anyway. Be patient, at least for another year.
    Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgerfan1
    Felix had a rough season... but don't expect a '2004 Beltre' year out of him. Not yet, anyway. Be patient, at least for another year.
    Oh, darn. no .330 batting average, 100+ RBIs, and 48HRs out of Felix this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntaledmarinerfan
    Oh, darn. no .330 batting average, 100+ RBIs, and 48HRs out of Felix this year.
    Not for another year, anyway.
    Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813 View Post
    Seattle Times article states that Felix is stronger and healthier after an offseason of working out and eating healthier.
    Felix's first game of 2007:

8 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 12 K, 0.00 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle1 View Post
    Felix's first game of 2007:

8 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 12 K, 0.00 ERA

fantastic start, felix.

I was at the game today, and I have to say, he LOOKED good out there.

Last season, he looked worn out as the game progressed, but today, he looked fine. And if it weren't for the fact that he was at around 110 pitches (108?) for the day, he could have pitched the 9th (but why risk it).

By the way, Putz was great out there as well!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Edgartohof View Post
    I was at the game today, and I have to say, he LOOKED good out there.

Last season, he looked worn out as the game progressed, but today, he looked fine. And if it weren't for the fact that he was at around 110 pitches (108?) for the day, he could have pitched the 9th (but why risk it).

By the way, Putz was great out there as well!!!!!!
    AGREED!!!! I think Seattle is feeling those great feelings of yesteryear. The Park just felt different a little electricity in the air maybe it was the fireworks. Great game and I lost my voice!
    Go Mariners!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hopeless_M's_fan View Post
    and I lost my voice!
    So did I!!!

Ichiro scoring and then the HR!!!

And Felix doing what he needed to do when he needed to do it!!!

I was VERY exciting!

I'm just wondering, what everyone is expecting from Felix this year.

I want honest answers, not just high expectations because he had a great game today.

He should have over 200 innings, and he looks to have a good SO rate as well (but he did have a couple walks today - then again, when no one gets a hit, a couple walks here and there shouldn't hurt TOO much).

So maybe something like:

220 IP
    200 SO
    3.50 ERA

Or are we looking at something better? Or was this just a flash of brilliance which came out a couple times last year, but overall was inconsistent?

Will we see the 20 year old next time, or will we see King Felix?

The key difference between Felix now and Felix last year...his balance. Last year he was fat. Let's not beat around the bush here. He was fat, and got tired and around te 5th inning would usually start falling off toward first base and opening his shoulder. It caused a lot of high straight 97 mph fastballs that got launched and a lot of 4 pitch walks where all the pitches were above the letters. Do we all remember that?

This year, he's svelt, smooth, and balanced all the way into the eighth...he looked like he could pitch another eight. No sign of fatigue at all. No falling off to first base. No stretch of high pitches...just hitting the corners, using a riding fastball when he actually WANTED to...keeping the ball down to start ABs, and a blizzard of 1-2 counts, Ks and groundouts.

There's no reason...NO REASON...why Hernandez shouldn't be Pedro Martinez II. He is the best pitcher in the AL bar none. Right now. Today.

And I'm not just giddy after a good game...I'm basing this on my visual analysis of his form.

I believe strongly that he'll run a 2.22-2.75 ERA, 220 IP, 240 K, 50 BB, 18 HR kinda line.

Quote Originally Posted by SABR Matt View Post
    There's no reason...NO REASON...why Hernandez shouldn't be Pedro Martinez II. He is the best pitcher in the AL bar none. Right now. Today.

And I'm not just giddy after a good game...I'm basing this on my visual analysis of his form.

I believe strongly that he'll run a 2.22-2.75 ERA, 220 IP, 240 K, 50 BB, 18 HR kinda line.
    So, in short, you think Felix will be a top 15 pitcher of all-time and he is better than Johan Santana right now? Sounds somewhat unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Westlake View Post
    So, in short, you think Felix will be a top 15 pitcher of all-time and he is better than Johan Santana right now? Sounds somewhat unrealistic.
    Honestly, looking at his talent level, I say it's possible.

That doesn't mean it will happen, but it's possible.

There are some people out there that no matter how hard they try, they will just never reach a certain level, they just don't have what it takes. Felix DOES have what it takes - but there have been enough players out there who had that talent and never did anything with it, or never reached their potential. If everything works out (and things are looking up at the moment wouldn't you say?), then yes, the sky is the limit.

I might also add that Santana gave up 4 runs in 6 innings, giving up 7 hits and 2 walks, while only striking out 6). Now I suspect that will be his worst game of the season....but.....take what you will from this.
    Last edited by Edgartohof; 04-02-2007 at 11:51 PM.

Anything is possible with ending up a Top 15 pitcher, since he's still not old enough to have a beer... but better than Santana right now? That's too much for me... He's going to have to put up a 2.60 or so ERA, throw a lot of innings, strike out more batters,and walk less batters.

Quote Originally Posted by Westlake View Post
    Anything is possible with ending up a Top 15 pitcher, since he's still not old enough to have a beer... but better than Santana right now? That's too much for me... He's going to have to put up a 2.60 or so ERA, throw a lot of innings, strike out more batters,and walk less batters.

Like I said, he's on the right track

Some people like to think they're better than other by refusing to take a stand and make the call before the results are in. Saying "Felxi has to throw better than Santana for me to say he's better than Santana" does nothing for me. I'm calling it now. If I'm wrong, at least I did my best work and stood by my beliefs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast