Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Felix - better than ever

Quote Originally Posted by SABR Matt View Post
    There's no reason...NO REASON...why Hernandez shouldn't be Pedro Martinez II. He is the best pitcher in the AL bar none. Right now. Today.

And I'm not just giddy after a good game...I'm basing this on my visual analysis of his form.

I believe strongly that he'll run a 2.22-2.75 ERA, 220 IP, 240 K, 50 BB, 18 HR kinda line.
    So, in short, you think Felix will be a top 15 pitcher of all-time and he is better than Johan Santana right now? Sounds somewhat unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Westlake View Post
    So, in short, you think Felix will be a top 15 pitcher of all-time and he is better than Johan Santana right now? Sounds somewhat unrealistic.
    Honestly, looking at his talent level, I say it's possible.

That doesn't mean it will happen, but it's possible.

There are some people out there that no matter how hard they try, they will just never reach a certain level, they just don't have what it takes. Felix DOES have what it takes - but there have been enough players out there who had that talent and never did anything with it, or never reached their potential. If everything works out (and things are looking up at the moment wouldn't you say?), then yes, the sky is the limit.

I might also add that Santana gave up 4 runs in 6 innings, giving up 7 hits and 2 walks, while only striking out 6). Now I suspect that will be his worst game of the season....but.....take what you will from this.
    Last edited by Edgartohof; 04-02-2007 at 11:51 PM.

Anything is possible with ending up a Top 15 pitcher, since he's still not old enough to have a beer... but better than Santana right now? That's too much for me... He's going to have to put up a 2.60 or so ERA, throw a lot of innings, strike out more batters,and walk less batters.

Anything is possible with ending up a Top 15 pitcher, since he's still not old enough to have a beer... but better than Santana right now? That's too much for me... He's going to have to put up a 2.60 or so ERA, throw a lot of innings, strike out more batters,and walk less batters.

Like I said, he's on the right track

Some people like to think they're better than other by refusing to take a stand and make the call before the results are in. Saying "Felxi has to throw better than Santana for me to say he's better than Santana" does nothing for me. I'm calling it now. If I'm wrong, at least I did my best work and stood by my beliefs.

Well, what we saw today WAS like Santana, and maybe some Clemens in there as well.

If anyone says what we saw today wasn't domination, then I don't know what is. 8 scoreless frames, 12 SO's, only 5 men on base!!! What, only 2 guys got past 1st?

3 guys got to 2nd...one got to 3rd with 1 out and then stood there helplessly while Felix made Kendall and Bradley look like mice in the talens of an eagle.

Say all you want about his youth and his having to Prove It (TM)...he's better than Santana. Now.

Some people like to think they're better than other by refusing to take a stand and make the call before the results are in. Saying "Felxi has to throw better than Santana for me to say he's better than Santana" does nothing for me. I'm calling it now. If I'm wrong, at least I did my best work and stood by my beliefs.
    Saying someone that has proven nothing is better than a guy who should have won the last 3 Cy Youngs and not expect people to say 'prove it' is just crazy.

It's a bold prediction, and I like that and all, I just hope you're ready to eat your words if you are wrong and not hide behind something like "Well, he was just unlucky and Santana was very lucky" or something of the sort.

Section 232, Row 1, Seat 24, Miller Park, Miller Park Way
    Yes. Felix was better than Santana April 2nd, 2007. Let's all remember that. Now I want to know who was the best this season, October, 2007.
    AL East Champions: 1981 1982
    AL Pennant: 1982
    NL Central Champions: 2011
    NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Saying someone that has proven nothing is better than a guy who should have won the last 3 Cy Youngs and not expect people to say 'prove it' is just crazy.

It's a bold prediction, and I like that and all, I just hope you're ready to eat your words if you are wrong and not hide behind something like "Well, he was just unlucky and Santana was very lucky" or something of the sort.
    I never "hide" behind anything. I do look for explanations when things don't make sense, but I certainly won't be afraid to show the facts, whatever those facts might be.

Blog Entries

Arrow King Felix

What do you do to a club (Oakland) that's trained to take pitches and work the count ? You throw stikes. Strike one, Strike two ! Felix shows that these hitters are like any others, when they fall behind in the count. I think I saw a couple of times where some of these Oakland guys got impatient at the plate.

It's got to be a lift for the whole team to beat Oakland on opening day. One game does not make a season, but it's something to build on.

I think it's more likely that he'll be top 30 or about on par with Santana. Also, I think that it's likely that he'll have a few dominating years, but then due to injury (or whatever) not be a top level player. That happens all the time. The list of top pitchers would be very different if those injuries hadn't happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgartohof View Post
    I'm just wondering, what everyone is expecting from Felix this year.
    I will give it a shot:

17-9, 203 IP, 3.89 ERA, 181 K, 61 BB

(That's my conservative guess, which wouldn't be a bad year anyway. If he actually does live up to all the hype, watch out MLB hitters!)

My prediction:

18 wins, 230 IP, 3.00 ERA, 200 K, 70 BB

Mine...

205 IP, 3.43 ERA, 195 K, 68 BB

Mine...

205 IP, 3.43 ERA, 195 K, 68 BB

I'm going to be a bit more optimistic:

240 IP (He'll be given the innings), 2.30 ERA (or better), 220 K, 72 BB

Gee. Felix blows Dice-K away like dust in the wind and the next projection out gets more optimistic.

WHEN his ERA is under 2.50, everyone here can remember that I got it right first.

Gee. Felix blows Dice-K away like dust in the wind and the next projection out gets more optimistic.

WHEN his ERA is under 2.50, everyone here can remember that I got it right first.
    Felix didn't blow Dice-K away, he blew the Red Sox hitters away.

And WHEN his ERA probably isn't that low, can everyone that disagreed give you a resounding "I told you so"?

Blog Entries

Question How Many Cy Youngs For Felix ?

3 guys got to 2nd...one got to 3rd with 1 out and then stood there helplessly while Felix made Kendall and Bradley look like mice in the talens of an eagle.

Say all you want about his youth and his having to Prove It (TM)...he's better than Santana. Now.
    A Poll in the current events area, where the discussion is how many Cy Youngs will Felix Herandez get when it's all said and done. The over under number is set at four (4).

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...118#post869118

If Felix keeps throwin' like he is, he might deserve his own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntaledmarinerfan View Post
    Oh, darn. no .330 batting average, 100+ RBIs, and 48HRs out of Felix this year.
    Not out of the question if he gets three starts in interleague.
    go M's/BSox

There is no "I" in "team."
    But there is an "I" in "win."

If you like football as much as baseball, then www.pigskin-fever.com is for you.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast