Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Edgartohof
    • May 2004

I was at the game today, and I have to say, he LOOKED good out there.

Last season, he looked worn out as the game progressed, but today, he looked fine. And if it weren't for the fact that he was at around 110 pitches (108?) for the day, he could have pitched the 9th (but why risk it).

By the way, Putz was great out there as well!!!!!!

Comment

• hopeless_M's_fan
      The King takes his throne
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Edgartohof View Post
      I was at the game today, and I have to say, he LOOKED good out there.

Last season, he looked worn out as the game progressed, but today, he looked fine. And if it weren't for the fact that he was at around 110 pitches (108?) for the day, he could have pitched the 9th (but why risk it).

By the way, Putz was great out there as well!!!!!!
      AGREED!!!! I think Seattle is feeling those great feelings of yesteryear. The Park just felt different a little electricity in the air maybe it was the fireworks. Great game and I lost my voice!:gt
      Go Mariners!!!!!! :gt

Comment

• Edgartohof
        • May 2004

Originally posted by hopeless_M's_fan View Post
        and I lost my voice!:gt
        So did I!!!

Ichiro scoring and then the HR!!!

And Felix doing what he needed to do when he needed to do it!!!

I was VERY exciting!

Comment

• Edgartohof
          • May 2004

I'm just wondering, what everyone is expecting from Felix this year.

I want honest answers, not just high expectations because he had a great game today.

He should have over 200 innings, and he looks to have a good SO rate as well (but he did have a couple walks today - then again, when no one gets a hit, a couple walks here and there shouldn't hurt TOO much).

So maybe something like:

220 IP
          200 SO
          3.50 ERA

Or are we looking at something better? Or was this just a flash of brilliance which came out a couple times last year, but overall was inconsistent?

Will we see the 20 year old next time, or will we see King Felix?

Comment

• SABR Matt
            Hunter of Objective Truth
            • May 2005

The key difference between Felix now and Felix last year...his balance. Last year he was fat. Let's not beat around the bush here. He was fat, and got tired and around te 5th inning would usually start falling off toward first base and opening his shoulder. It caused a lot of high straight 97 mph fastballs that got launched and a lot of 4 pitch walks where all the pitches were above the letters. Do we all remember that?

This year, he's svelt, smooth, and balanced all the way into the eighth...he looked like he could pitch another eight. No sign of fatigue at all. No falling off to first base. No stretch of high pitches...just hitting the corners, using a riding fastball when he actually WANTED to...keeping the ball down to start ABs, and a blizzard of 1-2 counts, Ks and groundouts.

There's no reason...NO REASON...why Hernandez shouldn't be Pedro Martinez II. He is the best pitcher in the AL bar none. Right now. Today.

And I'm not just giddy after a good game...I'm basing this on my visual analysis of his form.

I believe strongly that he'll run a 2.22-2.75 ERA, 220 IP, 240 K, 50 BB, 18 HR kinda line.

Comment

• Westlake
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by SABR Matt View Post
              There's no reason...NO REASON...why Hernandez shouldn't be Pedro Martinez II. He is the best pitcher in the AL bar none. Right now. Today.

And I'm not just giddy after a good game...I'm basing this on my visual analysis of his form.

I believe strongly that he'll run a 2.22-2.75 ERA, 220 IP, 240 K, 50 BB, 18 HR kinda line.
              So, in short, you think Felix will be a top 15 pitcher of all-time and he is better than Johan Santana right now? Sounds somewhat unrealistic.
              Originally posted by Domenic
              The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

• Edgartohof
                • May 2004

Originally posted by Westlake View Post
                So, in short, you think Felix will be a top 15 pitcher of all-time and he is better than Johan Santana right now? Sounds somewhat unrealistic.
                Honestly, looking at his talent level, I say it's possible.

That doesn't mean it will happen, but it's possible.

There are some people out there that no matter how hard they try, they will just never reach a certain level, they just don't have what it takes. Felix DOES have what it takes - but there have been enough players out there who had that talent and never did anything with it, or never reached their potential. If everything works out (and things are looking up at the moment wouldn't you say?), then yes, the sky is the limit.

I might also add that Santana gave up 4 runs in 6 innings, giving up 7 hits and 2 walks, while only striking out 6). Now I suspect that will be his worst game of the season....but.....take what you will from this.
                Last edited by Edgartohof; 04-02-2007, 11:51 PM.

Comment

• Westlake
                  • Jan 2007

Anything is possible with ending up a Top 15 pitcher, since he's still not old enough to have a beer... but better than Santana right now? That's too much for me... He's going to have to put up a 2.60 or so ERA, throw a lot of innings, strike out more batters,and walk less batters.
                  The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

• Edgartohof
                    • May 2004

Anything is possible with ending up a Top 15 pitcher, since he's still not old enough to have a beer... but better than Santana right now? That's too much for me... He's going to have to put up a 2.60 or so ERA, throw a lot of innings, strike out more batters,and walk less batters.

Like I said, he's on the right track

Comment

• SABR Matt
                      • May 2005

Some people like to think they're better than other by refusing to take a stand and make the call before the results are in. Saying "Felxi has to throw better than Santana for me to say he's better than Santana" does nothing for me. I'm calling it now. If I'm wrong, at least I did my best work and stood by my beliefs.

Comment

• Edgartohof
                        • May 2004

Well, what we saw today WAS like Santana, and maybe some Clemens in there as well.

If anyone says what we saw today wasn't domination, then I don't know what is. 8 scoreless frames, 12 SO's, only 5 men on base!!! What, only 2 guys got past 1st?

Comment

• SABR Matt
                          • May 2005

3 guys got to 2nd...one got to 3rd with 1 out and then stood there helplessly while Felix made Kendall and Bradley look like mice in the talens of an eagle.

Say all you want about his youth and his having to Prove It (TM)...he's better than Santana. Now.

Comment

• Westlake
                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by SABR Matt View Post
                            Some people like to think they're better than other by refusing to take a stand and make the call before the results are in. Saying "Felxi has to throw better than Santana for me to say he's better than Santana" does nothing for me. I'm calling it now. If I'm wrong, at least I did my best work and stood by my beliefs.
                            Saying someone that has proven nothing is better than a guy who should have won the last 3 Cy Youngs and not expect people to say 'prove it' is just crazy.

It's a bold prediction, and I like that and all, I just hope you're ready to eat your words if you are wrong and not hide behind something like "Well, he was just unlucky and Santana was very lucky" or something of the sort.

Comment

• The Dude
                              Going on a neature walk
                              • Jun 2003

Yes. Felix was better than Santana April 2nd, 2007. Let's all remember that. Now I want to know who was the best this season, October, 2007.
                              AL East Champions: 1981 1982
                              AL Pennant: 1982
                              NL Central Champions: 2011
                              NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Comment

• SABR Matt
                                • May 2005

Saying someone that has proven nothing is better than a guy who should have won the last 3 Cy Youngs and not expect people to say 'prove it' is just crazy.

It's a bold prediction, and I like that and all, I just hope you're ready to eat your words if you are wrong and not hide behind something like "Well, he was just unlucky and Santana was very lucky" or something of the sort.
                                I never "hide" behind anything. I do look for explanations when things don't make sense, but I certainly won't be afraid to show the facts, whatever those facts might be.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X