Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Felix - better than ever

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle1 View Post
    Nobody could tell. He didn't look comfortable out there, and then all of a sudden he pulled himself out of the game. It was a couple innings where nobody really knew what was wrong, then finally an announcer came on and said tightness in his right elbow.
    After watching his performance in Boston, I have great respect for the guy. I hope he's ok.

Deleted........
    Last edited by Westlake; 07-08-2007 at 04:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Quote Originally Posted by SABR Matt View Post
    Say all you want about his youth and his having to Prove It (TM)...he's better than Santana. Now.
    WHEN his ERA is under 2.50, everyone here can remember that I got it right first.
    I guarantee you his ERA will be below 2.50...that's an absolute GIVEN at this point.

If he doesn't keep the ERA under 2.50, not only will I be completely shocked, but I'll come back here to Fever and make a public apology.

I guess he didn't Prove It (TM).

Care to issue a statement, Matt?
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Westlake View Post
    I guess he didn't Prove It (TM).

Care to issue a statement, Matt?
    He really said all those things. His credibility is SHOT!!!

If Felix hadn't been injured, Matt would have been right I'm sure. I think after the injury Felix lost some control on his fastball, and hasn't quite had the feel for it again.

Maybe during the offseason he can regain it, and next year will be the year...

Well, you look to be a very unbiased observer.

Quote Originally Posted by Westlake View Post
    Well, you look to be a very unbiased observer.
    Obviously. I'm about as unbiased as a Yankees fan is to a Red Sox fan.

Well, to be honest I think there was something wrong with him after the injury that never completely recovered, and my guess is it's the feel for his fastball, because it seems like he hasn't been able to command it as well since he came off the DL.

Even if that's not the case, I really think the injury had a big effect. Before that Felix was on a roll, and doing great. He's never done anything really like that since coming off the DL, excepting maybe the game against the Athletics to start the 2nd half.

I have always been very skeptical about Hernandez' future. dispite his moments of brilliance I do not think that felix will ever amount to his hype or potential. It's my guess that he never going to be "Ace" Material.
    Here's to baseball... The best sport made.

"There are two theories on hitting a knuckleball. Unfortunately, neither of them works." ― Charlie Lau

I am only particularly impressed by his occasional (and sometimes frequent) flashes of brilliance. I am not blown away by his overall performance. He can be dominant, but he is not a "dominant pitcher" in my mind. At least not yet.

Blog Entries

Da King

I am only particularly impressed by his occasional (and sometimes frequent) flashes of brilliance. I am not blown away by his overall performance. He can be dominant, but he is not a "dominant pitcher" in my mind. At least not yet.
    Although he's only had a few games on the center stage, he has done well in these games. This part of it, you can't teach. The other stuff you can work on.

I will give it a shot:

17-9, 203 IP, 3.89 ERA, 181 K, 61 BB
    Actual 2007 results for Felix Hernandez:

14-7, 190.1 IP, 3.92 ERA, 165 K, 53 BB

That is a very good prediction by me. If he had gotten all of his starts (he missed about five I guess), I probably would have been right on the money.

Good, respectable season for Felix.

Yeah, you were pretty much right on, Seattle. Good work.

Should this thread be Felix's dedicated or "tribute" thread as it were?

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news...=.jsp&c_id=sea

Felix named Pitcher of Month for June
    It's first time Mariners right-hander has won AL honor

That makes 3 M's going to the All-Star game. Felix is having an outstanding season. I'm interested in seeing how he handles this widely televised game. He's never been in a playoff game before, and though this is no playoff game, the lights are still a little bit brighter for this one than most regular season games, save for the one he just pitched in Boston.

Felix nearly traded to Boston in 3-way deal

It's great to say that the Felix Hernandez we have all been waiting for is here!

I mean this season is exactly what we have been hoping for:

15-5 W/L
    .750 W%
    207.1 IP
    7.6 H/9IP (1st in league)
    2.52 ERA (2nd in league)
    172 ERA+ (2nd in league)

He is in the top 10 of almost all major categories this season!

Here is just hoping that we can keep him for the long haul - and have a team that can score some runs for him!

Thought this was noteworthy:

If Felix can maintain (or better) his 172 ERA+ by seasons end, it will put him in the top 10 seasons by a 23 year old!!!!! Now THAT'S impressive!

And in fact, if you adjust this list to include only post-1900 starters with 150+ IP, he would be on the short list with:

1. Dean Chance - 198 ERA+
    2. Walter Johnson - 172 ERA+
    (3. Felix Hernandez - 172 ERA+)

Not bad of company to be keeping . . .

Well, the season is over, and the numbers are in.

Felix had a FABULOUS season - proving himself to be the Ace that we all know him to be.

19 Wins (T-1st)
    5 Losses
    .792 W% (1st)
    238.2 IP (3rd - 1.1 IP off from 1st)
    7.5 H/9IP (1st)
    217 SO (4th)
    1.135 WHIP (3rd)
    2.489 ERA (2nd)

This is on the short list for great seasons by a 23 year old!

So the voting is over, and Zack Greinke wins the AL Cy Young award for 2009!

Of course, right on his heels (and rightfully so) was our very own "King" Felix!

Official Voting
    1 Zack Greinke
    2 Felix Hernandez
    3 Justin Verlander
    4 CC Sabathia
    5 Roy Halladay

Here is a link to an article:
    http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news...=.jsp&c_id=sea

This past season, Felix was "was the only pitcher in the Major Leagues to be selected Pitcher of the Month twice -- in June (3-0, 0.94 ERA) and September (6-0, 1.52). "

I guess I can't complain about 2nd - I mean the season he had as a 23 year old - he has SO much room left to grow, and I can't wait to be there to watch it!

Well, I think it is worth reviving this thread . . .

In his league leading 4 starts this season, Felix has a 2-0 record. His first start of the season was not his greatest, nor was it horrible either, giving up 3 runs over 6 2/3 innings. But he only has gotten better over his last 3 starts, to give him 17 consecutive quality starts going back to last season! And it all culminated last night as he gave us a 1-run Complete game!

He has now lowered his ERA down to 2.15 on the season, something we know he can keep up, after what he was able to do last year! I am just excited to keep watching him pitch for years to come!

For those of you who did not watch for listen to the game last night, Felix set a career high in SO's with 13! He was not at his sharpest last night, expecially in the first inning when he allowed the bases to be loaded. But he was able to get out of that situation with the help of Kouzmanoff grounding into a double play (one of 2 Felix recieved last night). Other than that, he allowed a total of 5 hits, 1 walks and 1 Wild Pitch (his 12th of the season), along with his 13 Strikeouts! He was pulled out of the game after the 8th inning with a pitch count of 110. I really wish they had allowed him to try to finish the game but oh well it was a nice game either way.

Did you know that Felix has only had 3 games this season (out of 25 starts) in which he has allowed more than 3 ER's?!? And in his last 11 starts, he has posted an ERA of 1.78! As of right now, Felix is leading the league in IP (by a healthy bit I might add), Games started (25), is 2nd in SO and 4th in ERA and ERA+. He won't win the Cy Young with these numbers (especially with his horrible W/L record) but if he has a strong finish, who knows!
    Last edited by Edgartohof; 09-06-2010 at 04:34 AM.

Okay, so who is the number 1 contender for the AL Cy Young right now? If you don't say Felix Hernandez then you are so missing something!

He's boasting a 2.30 ERA, just behind Buccholz at 2.25 all while still leading the league with 219.1 IP. He also is leading the league in Strikeouts with 209 and has lowered his WHIP to 1.085! And hey, now he even has a W/L record over .500!
    Last edited by Edgartohof; 09-29-2010 at 05:01 PM.

The season is winding down for most teams and talk of awards is increasing. Felix is a forerunner if not THE top candidate for the AL Cy Young this year.

He is leading the league in ERA at 2.27, leading the league in Innings Pitched with 249.2 and leading the league in SO as well with 232! He is 2nd in the league with a 174 ERA+ (but nearly 80 more innings pitched than #1).

It has been SO fun to watch him pitch this year. He had a few slipups earlier this year but he got it under control and has been utterly dominant for the past few months, boasting a spectacular 1.48 ERA over his last 21 starts!

Felix Hernandez was named "Top AL Pitcher" by TSN!!! Hopefully this will be a precursor to winning the Cy Young!!!

Well, after 5 starts this season, Felix has 2 great starts, 2 okay start and 1 bad one. But after watching tonight, I don't have a worry about him at all! In fact, he has only given up 2 runs in his last 2 starts, (12.2 IP combined). And he dropped his ERA nearly a point after tonights performance!

And now he has a protoge to teach in young Pineda. Definitely 2 bright spots in this teams future!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast