We ended up with 28 participants. I have broken these up into two leagues, with two separate drafts. One league will have the DH (I arbitrarily name this league the American League) and one will not have it (oddly enough, I came up with National League for this one).
Based on expressed DH preferences, I broke the leagues up thusly: I started by putting all those who firmly wanted the DH in the AL. That was 13 people. I then put someone who expressly said he didn't care (RuthMayBond) into the AL to fill it out. That left a 14 team NL made up of people who either firmly didn't want the DH, only wanted the DH under certain conditions or didn't care.
The league members (in draft order) will be posted in the individual draft threads. Incidentally, I used this to determine draft order.
I'll run the AL draft, plask_stirlac has nobly agreed to run the NL draft. Mostly this means updating the first post in each draft thread to reflect all picks made so far and to officially remove participants from the draft (more on that below).
We'll start this on Monday, first window opening 10 AM EST. When I said Sunday, I had somehow forgotten to factor in the Super Bowl. That may not be the best time to get this going.
* 25 man roster
* To be eligible for selection, a player:
==Must have played in 1884 or later
==Must have played in the NAPBBP, NL or MLB
==Must have played in at least 80% of team's scheduled games in at least three seasons (70% for catchers) for non-strike years (for non-pitchers)
==Major strike years (1981, 1994) count towards a player's top-two WARP1 seasons, but cannot be selected as the player's sim season
==Pitchers must have pitched in at least 160 IP in at least three seasons or made at least 40 appearances in at least three seasons
* Must have 1 starting C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, RF, CF, LF
* AL teams must have a DH
* Must have 4-5 starting pitchers
* Must have at least 4 relief pitchers
* To be eligible at a fielding position, a player must have played at least 162 games at a position, over his career, to be eligible at it. The exceptions are that corner outfielders can be swapped between right and left field, center fielders can play any outfield position and shortstops can be played at second base. And, of course, anyone can be placed at DH.
* To be eligible as a starting pitcher, pitcher must have at least 3 seasons in which he pitched 160+ innings. You must, of course, choose one of their starting years if you are taking them as a starter and it can't be one of their two best seasons overall.
* To be eligible as a relief pitcher, pitcher must have at least 3 seasons in which he had 40+ non-start appearances. You must, of course, choose one of their relief years if you are taking them as a reliever and it can't be one of their two best seasons overall.
* Player's third-best full season (as judged by WARP1) will be used for simming purposes. I would use ERA+ / OPS+, since I'm sure most people know them better, but that would remove stolen bases from offensive contributions and innings pitched from pitching contribution, skewing actual value. Outside of the top two seasons, any season that counts as a "full season" (as defined in the eligibility rule above) can be selected.
* Each participant will have an 8-hour window to make a selection. This window can't close between 11 PM EST and 8 AM PST. Once the window has closed, the next participant's 8-hour window opens (therefore, keep track of the draft even if you're not the person currently up).
* If a participant goes 14 overall picks with an unmade pick outstanding, he/she will be dropped from the draft.
* Players selected by participants who end up being dropped do not re-enter the pool. There's no fair way to make them available again, it would just be luck of the draw as to who happened to be after the dropped participant.
* Each league will have the entire pool of major league players with at least 3 full seasons.
* Once both leagues have completed their drafts, there will be a poll thread to determine the best team, with discussion. This is the Popular Champion. The poll will go 5 days.
* After the poll is completed, 100 simmed seasons (or as many as is fairly easy) will be played by each league. Within each season, each team will play each other team 13 times (169 game season). Any teams that were dropped during the draft will reduce that league's season by 13 games each, as those teams will not be available for everyone else to play. There will be no regular season inter-league games. The average team records over all the sims will be used. If the sim program can't provide results over multiple trials, one simmed season will be used per league.
* The four teams with the best records in each league (head-to-head records will break ties) will play division series, championship series and a World Series in the same manner as Major League Baseball does. In the World Series, the team with the best record will have the home field advantage. Home field, in each game, determines DH rules. The World Series winner will be the Simulation Champion!
To avoid littering the forum with too many threads, use this thread for discussion on both drafts. We'll have an individual thread for each draft's actual selections, which shouldn't be used for discussion, to keep it clean and easily followed. I'll create one of them, plask_stirlac will create one (so that we have edit powers on the first post).