Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: All-Time Draft: AL Draft

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel
    There IS no good deck theme that doesn't include blue, honestly.

Well, I actually haven't played the game for about a decade (wow), so I may be out of touch. When I checked out, Fallen Empires was the latest expansion, IIRC.
    Brings back good memories..... I last played two or three years ago, and I loved it for a while. Then the Fifth Dawn expansion came out, and I hated it, and I haven't played since going to a booster draft tournament a couple years ago. The best deck I ever made was a little 45-card burn/goblin deck. Never lost me a game, even when I played a blue deck.

BTW, I'd be up for a Thursday-night lightning round. Shall we say 8 EST?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Bedard
    Brings back good memories..... I last played two or three years ago, and I loved it for a while. Then the Fifth Dawn expansion came out, and I hated it, and I haven't played since going to a booster draft tournament a couple years ago. The best deck I ever made was a little 45-card burn/goblin deck. Never lost me a game, even when I played a blue deck.
    What is this stuff? Fantasy games are definitely not something I'm interested in, but I have absolutley no idea about "Magic the Gathering". Never even heard of it. Is it a card game?

Im ok with this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

It's a card game. In a nutshell you build up your resources each turn, some automatically and some not, and try to devastate your opponent's resources until he or she runs out of life points (or the entire deck). Open physical combat is generally used via creatures, but there are gobs of non-creature cards that can steer combat and the game. The more land resources you have, the better spells you can play.

At its simplest you can have a fun war of say Elves and Zombies, mostly combat, for under $10 (which gets both decks). It can get much more expensive though... but the well-designed expensive cards have creativity and personality with their power. Or it's just power and people want to win really badly and the cards are rare.
    (fantasy football)
    JM: Only did that for a couple of years and then we had a conspiracy so it kind of turned me sour. Our league's commissioner, Lew Ford(notes) at the time, was doing some shady things that ... I'd rather not talk about [laughs].
    DB: Isn't he in Japan right now?
    JM: I don't know where Lou is right now. He's probably fleeing the authorities [laughs].

Quote Originally Posted by plask_stirlac
    It's a card game. In a nutshell you build up your resources each turn, some automatically and some not, and try to devastate your opponent's resources until he or she runs out of life points (or the entire deck). Open physical combat is generally used via creatures, but there are gobs of non-creature cards that can steer combat and the game. The more land resources you have, the better spells you can play.
    My head is about to explode.

Actually, when I was in the 6th grade a bunch of kids in my class were playing and I asked what it was and they tried their best to show me. I played one game and whooped the guy whose cards they were. I then retired undefeated.
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

I'll be there. hopefully other will be here for the lighting round too.
    Here's to baseball... The best sport made.

"There are two theories on hitting a knuckleball. Unfortunately, neither of them works." ― Charlie Lau

Ok, im going to make sure everyone is aware of this lightning round. Please let us know whether you can make it. If you cannot, please PM a list to someone to make picks for you so we can get a good number of picks in.

The time is 8 ET.

Comfirmed to show up:

Westlake
    Wade8813
    Disgruntledmarinerfan
    Erik Bedard
    Wee Willie
    Minstrel
    Kyle
    Yanks0714
    Ronnie5
    AlecBoy006
    ChrisLDuncan
    BoSox Rule
    Last edited by Westlake; 02-14-2007 at 05:03 PM.

??? I have never heard that. What sport is "MTG" like?
    Ever played MLB Showdown? It's vaguely like that.

Yeah, a lot of people weren't happy with Fifth Dawn. Recently, they've made a lot of better sets. A few sets ago they released Ravnica block - I've heard of someone buying CASES of boxes, so he'd be able to draft it whenever he wants... . The latest block is Time Spiral, with the base set's theme being the past, the second's being the present, and the third (so far unreleased set) being the future. I have no clue how the heck they're going to do the future

Ok, im going to make sure everyone is aware of this lightning round. Please let us know whether you can make it. If you cannot, please PM a list to someone to make picks for you so we can get a good number of picks in.

The time is 8 ET.

Comfirmed to show up:
    I'll show up for at least part of it, and will IM someone my picks, in case I can't make it for the entire round. Any idea when it will end?

Weird. No one played it at my school.

Yea, I can go at 8, but I have to go to bed at 10ish though.

Blog Entries
    If it starts at 8 (5 your time), then it'll probably end around 9 or 10 (6 or 7).

Alright. There's a good chance I'll just stick around for the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Westlake

The time is 8 ET.

Comfirmed to show up:

Westlake
    Wade8813
    Disgruntledmarinerfan
    Erik Bedard.
    I'll do my best but I do drink an awful lot, so I may not show up

However back to business at hand since Evan took the pitcher I wanted I'll have to take an infielder.

Rod Carew 1973

Also to MTG fans, All-Time Baseball Fantasy Drafts are nerdy enough for one forum
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Hey, as long as someone shows up with a list of who you want, you can sit out the rest of the draft, for all I care

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLDuncan
    You might want to PM your list to someone just in case you aren't available.

You might want to PM your list to someone just in case you aren't available.
    A lot of my picks depend on who's taken ahead of me for example when you took Carlton I just decided to fill the need at 2B instead of drafting a pitcher, and it depends on what's left.
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLDuncan
    Chris, just PM someone your list of picks (1st choice, 2nd choice, etc.), if you're not going to make it. That way the rest of us can keep it moving.

Im guessing you will be available Wee Willie?

Im guessing you will be available Wee Willie?
    Sure - anytime there's an attempted lightning round, you can count on me.

Ok, im going to make sure everyone is aware of this lightning round. Please let us know whether you can make it.
    I can make it.
    "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." --Sandy Koufax

Quote Originally Posted by 538280
    What is this stuff? Fantasy games are definitely not something I'm interested in, but I have absolutley no idea about "Magic the Gathering". Never even heard of it. Is it a card game?
    The fantasy element gave it atmosphere, but it was the novelty of a trading card game...it was a little like baseball cards, in that you could collect them and trade them (and the prices for the rarest MTG cards soared ridiculously fast), but then you could also sit down and play a game with them.

The game, itself, though was more the end result...I'd say the main fun was constructing/designing your deck. Coming up with clever combinations of cards and efficient strategies (efficient to make them likely to achieve in any random game).

Then, you played other people and found out if your deck design worked.

I think the concept behind MTG was pretty clever. People enjoy trading collectibles and enjoy games, so put them together. The result is an evolving game which you feel invested in (and believe me, if you become serious abaout the game, you become financially invested!).
    "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." --Sandy Koufax

Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast