Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: AL Discussion Thread

I know I often log on at my school, post in a few discussion threads, then make my pick when I get home, because BP is blocked at my school. For that reason, I don't think it would be fair for someone to get skipped, even if they logged on, posted, or whatever.
    Of course, you could try to have a pick ready before you sign on at school. You can't do that every time, but if you get in at least a couple picks that way, things would go faster. Also, if you notice it's your pick while at school, you can say that you know it's your pick, and that you'll pick at a certain time (which you did yesterday - and it helped a lot).
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Bedard
    I know I often log on at my school, post in a few discussion threads, then make my pick when I get home, because BP is blocked at my school. For that reason, I don't think it would be fair for someone to get skipped, even if they logged on, posted, or whatever.

BTW, I would be in favor of shortening the window to speed up the draft.
    The difference is that you say that you will pick when you get home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Blog Entries
    OK, cool. I'll try and remember to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Bedard
    OK, cool. I'll try and remember to do that.
    You never seem to have any problems. You're always pretty prompt with your picks or you let us know when you will be able to.
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813
    Of course, you could try to have a pick ready before you sign on at school. You can't do that every time, but if you get in at least a couple picks that way, things would go faster. Also, if you notice it's your pick while at school, you can say that you know it's your pick, and that you'll pick at a certain time (which you did yesterday - and it helped a lot).
    I don't want to give the impression that I'm trying to tell anybody how to go about this draft (I mean look at my IF'ers I've picked) but I have a list of about 10 names, various positions + their WARP year I want, and keep it handy. I cross off those names that some unscrupulous poster picks and when it's my turn I know wxactly who I want.
    This ain't rocket science, if it was I wouldn't be in it. We all know who the very best players are by position. It's more a matter of knowing what position you you need/want to fill and what their WARP is.

Yankees Fan Since 1957

So is everybody happy with whom they've picked thus far?

I'm pretty happy about mine. I wanted Stan Musial but Frank Robinson is a pretty good alternate.

Had Eddie Mathews in my sights....gone....said, oh, well, Brett is still there....gone. Wade? Where's Wade? Gone.

Felt I needed to get two stud pitchers. Managed to get Seaver and Gibson so that worked out reasonably well. Really wanted Spahn, but later, alas, he diappeared before me eyes.

Some great picks you guys are making. I try to determine what each poster is looking for...I think I can glean a certain direction from a few of you.

Chris, I'm still in shock that you took Ernie Banks after all I've read you post on him.

Yankees Fan Since 1957

Well, I'm disappointed I didn't get Bonds, Hornsby, or Ruth, but that's not my fault, so I'm happy with who I have.

Do you know what direction I'm going in?

Ehh I was kind of hoping that Biggio would have dropped, but Carew had an awesome peak too. I liked my Matthews pick, Wagner was actually number one on my board. I liked that I got Pete Alexander...although I wanted Clemens.
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

I kinda of dissapointed about taking Eddie Collins over a top tier pitcher, and second guess myself over Hugh Jennings...I also dislike all the "old-timers" I am taking...but besides that I am fine.

Quote Originally Posted by yanks0714
    Chris, I'm still in shock that you took Ernie Banks after all I've read you post on him.
    I think Banks is pretty overrated in general not really because of his peak years, they were legitimately great seasons. The problem is that outside of that peak, and after he moved to 1B, he wasn't worth much at all. In his peak I think he can also sometimes be overrated but he was still a great, great player and probably the best hitting SS still available when I took him. Really in his peak he was pretty similar to A-Rod, just without really good baserunning and a little worse in the field.

Blog Entries
    I'm exceptionally pleased with all my picks, not least among them Dahlen, Rodriguez, and Maddux.

I'm quite happy with all my picks. I think I've been filling key positions without reaching, really.
    "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." --Sandy Koufax

Blog Entries
    Attention AlecBoy006 and ChrisLDuncan: Please post your roster in the appropriate thread.

I actually am quite pleased with my pick thus far, I got hornsby which was a huge want. But i must say I am a little disapointed with my round two pick Jack Pfiester. I saw his rediculous stats and I made a very impulsive selection... wish I waited a couple or few rounds before picking him.
    but aside from that I love the team I have picked.
    Here's to baseball... The best sport made.

"There are two theories on hitting a knuckleball. Unfortunately, neither of them works." ― Charlie Lau

Good lightning round! By my count, we got in 28 picks over a two to two and a half hour period. That's productive.

Thanks to Evan (Westlake) for taking the initiative to get it started. I'd like to follow-on and ask if this time works for people every week? Could/should we start it an hour earlier, or was 8 PM EST ideal?

It would be nice to get in at least one of these a week, if we can manage it.
    "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." --Sandy Koufax

Thanks Minstrel. I'm fine with the time we had, but I think it would be better to move it up an hour.

I'm very happy with my starting rotation. I'm ecstatic that Jim Palmer was there as my 4th pitcher. Still plenty of room for improvement, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Willie
    I'm very happy with my starting rotation. I'm ecstatic that Jim Palmer was there as my 4th pitcher. Still plenty of room for improvement, though...
    Well, considering you stole Rube Waddell from me, I'd hope you're happy with your ill-gotten gains.

By my count, this lightning round went great. a lot of progress has been made tonight, little by little we're getting closer to completing the draft.

"There are two theories on hitting a knuckleball. Unfortunately, neither of them works." ― Charlie Lau

Thank god I got a somewhat good catchers...they were all slipping away before my eyes!!!

Blog Entries
    I could easily have taken Kelly where I took Rodriguez... nice pick.

BTW, I can do Thursday night at eight pretty much every week, especially when I don't have any homework.

Quote Originally Posted by -Kyle-
    Thank god I got a somewhat good catchers...they were all slipping away before my eyes!!!
    Sadly, I didn't read the writing on the wall, and now I'm left without an upper level catcher. having a good backstop could be quite important to a team... but now i have to settle for a a more mediocre catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntaledmarinerfan
    Sadly, I didn't read the writing on the wall, and now I'm left without an upper level catcher. having a good backstop could be quite important to a team... but now i have to settle for a a more mediocre catcher.
    John Marzano is still available.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel
    John Marzano is still available.
    dang it, stop name dropping I wanted him.
    How desperate would someone have to be to take Marzano... I mean come on, he statistically is crap.

Wade, to drafter Disgruntaled, after DMF drafted catcher John Marzano, injuring his chances of winning - "You're screwed."

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast