Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: AL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Huntington Avenue
    This wasn't aimed at me, right? I only have two...
    Wasn't aimed at anyone, just a throw-away comment.

Also, I think I want to change Cy Young's season to one in which he was a more dominant pitcher; 1895 must have been helped out by his hitting or something, and that won't be a factor in the AL... Is a change possible?
    No! Well, okay. As far as I'm concerned, years don't have to be official until the sim...but for EriK's sake, try to not change up too much.
    "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." --Sandy Koufax

I guess Huntington didnt know it was his turn. He got on, and posted in this thread. I figure since the clock is there to help for people who cant be on until a certain time, if they are on, AND they post in this thread, and they still dont make a pick, shouldnt they be skipped? I dont want to be a jerk, but thats really slowing it down if he isnt going to get on until tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Nah. Ronnie5 isn't even on, so it wouldn't accomplish anything.

Yes, he is.

Im not saying we have to skip him right now, for future reference. If a person has an obvious opportunity to pick, and he doesnt and holds up the draft, should he be skipped? I figure the only reason at 8 hour clock is there is to give people a bigger chance to get online. If they are on, and even in the draft threads, they should make their pick.
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Yes, he is.

Im not saying we have to skip him right now, for future reference. If a person has an obvious opportunity to pick, and he doesnt and holds up the draft, should he be skipped? I figure the only reason at 8 hour clock is there is to give people a bigger chance to get online. If they are on, and even in the draft threads, they should make their pick.
    Huh. Either he came back, or I missed him before. Oh well...

Anyway, I think that it should become a rule that we do that, however, it's something that we have to announce to everyone before we enforce it. It's not fair to not let them know ahead of time - even if it's not fair of them to not pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813
    Huh. Either he came back, or I missed him before. Oh well...

Anyway, I think that it should become a rule that we do that, however, it's something that we have to announce to everyone before we enforce it. It's not fair to not let them know ahead of time - even if it's not fair of them to not pick.

Sorry, hes online, im talking to him, I guess he just logged out of BBF. Hes available to pick whenever HA does.

I agree with you. It should be announced to everyone so that it isnt unfair to the person it pertains to at the moment. That is if everyone else is ok with it and Minstrel agrees with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Westlake
    I agree with you. It should be announced to everyone so that it isnt unfair to the person it pertains to at the moment. That is if everyone else is ok with it and Minstrel agrees with it.
    The only problem I see with it is proof. What if someone picks ahead of someone else and says, "Yeah, I saw him online during his window, and then he logged off so I picked," while the other person says he wasn't on BBF at the time?

If there's tangible proof, like the guy posted in a thread on BBF after it became his turn, then I'm all for it.
    "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." --Sandy Koufax

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel
    If there's tangible proof, like the guy posted in a thread on BBF after it became his turn, then I'm all for it.
    Well, he posted in this thread at 9:54 central, after 538280 made his pick at 9:35 central. How's that for proof?

Well the cookies in my browser are set to log me in as long as my browser window is up. But my thing is that they get eight hours right? What if they are mulling over a pick? I don't really like it. Also there is no proof due to browser settings, also if they are to be skipped they should at least be PMed and be allowed the full time, seeing as how you can be deciding between something like taking the best player available, say a pitcher, or filling a need with a lesser player. Lets take an earlier example say that someone was mulling over taking a pitcher like Seaver, there are alot of good pitchers, or taking a Biggio, where there are few top flight second basemen. That can be a tough decision sometimes.
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLDuncan
    Well the cookies in my browser are set to log me in as long as my browser window is up. But my thing is that they get eight hours right? What if they are mulling over a pick? I don't really like it. Also there is no proof due to browser settings, also if they are to be skipped they should at least be PMed and be allowed the full time, seeing as how you can be deciding between something like taking the best player available, say a pitcher, or filling a need with a lesser player. Lets take an earlier example say that someone was mulling over taking a pitcher like Seaver, there are alot of good pitchers, or taking a Biggio, where there are few top flight second basemen. That can be a tough decision sometimes.
    Sure that can be a tough decision, but this isn't a decision to go to war. Its really not that hard. If it's your turn, you are online, you post in the forum, and then log off and hold up the whole thing for 15 hours or something like that, i dont think thats fair to everyone else.

I understand taking the time to think, but you should let us know that you are aware it's your pick, so we'll know what's going on.

Also, it takes a while to get to your pick. I've made a whopping total of 5 picks in a little over a week. That should be enough time to think about the pick for the most part. If you know it's your pick, you should probably make the decision within an hour, just to help things keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie5
    Well, he posted in this thread at 9:54 central, after 538280 made his pick at 9:35 central. How's that for proof?
    We aren't talking about this particular case, since as others have noted, we can't just make this rule and enforce it without it being properly announced. I was speaking of future cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Westlake
    Sure that can be a tough decision, but this isn't a decision to go to war. Its really not that hard. If it's your turn, you are online, you post in the forum, and then log off and hold up the whole thing for 15 hours or something like that, i dont think thats fair to everyone else.

Only if the people that were entrusted to make that decision took as much time planning that we do to make our picks
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLDuncan
    Only if the people that were entrusted to make that decision took as much time planning that we do to make our picks
    Dont get me started.

Blog Entries
    I know I often log on at my school, post in a few discussion threads, then make my pick when I get home, because BP is blocked at my school. For that reason, I don't think it would be fair for someone to get skipped, even if they logged on, posted, or whatever.

BTW, I would be in favor of shortening the window to speed up the draft.

I know I often log on at my school, post in a few discussion threads, then make my pick when I get home, because BP is blocked at my school. For that reason, I don't think it would be fair for someone to get skipped, even if they logged on, posted, or whatever.
    Of course, you could try to have a pick ready before you sign on at school. You can't do that every time, but if you get in at least a couple picks that way, things would go faster. Also, if you notice it's your pick while at school, you can say that you know it's your pick, and that you'll pick at a certain time (which you did yesterday - and it helped a lot).

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Bedard

BTW, I would be in favor of shortening the window to speed up the draft.
    The difference is that you say that you will pick when you get home.

Blog Entries
    OK, cool. I'll try and remember to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Bedard
    OK, cool. I'll try and remember to do that.
    You never seem to have any problems. You're always pretty prompt with your picks or you let us know when you will be able to.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813
    Of course, you could try to have a pick ready before you sign on at school. You can't do that every time, but if you get in at least a couple picks that way, things would go faster. Also, if you notice it's your pick while at school, you can say that you know it's your pick, and that you'll pick at a certain time (which you did yesterday - and it helped a lot).
    I don't want to give the impression that I'm trying to tell anybody how to go about this draft (I mean look at my IF'ers I've picked) but I have a list of about 10 names, various positions + their WARP year I want, and keep it handy. I cross off those names that some unscrupulous poster picks and when it's my turn I know wxactly who I want.
    This ain't rocket science, if it was I wouldn't be in it. We all know who the very best players are by position. It's more a matter of knowing what position you you need/want to fill and what their WARP is.

Yankees Fan Since 1957

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast