Thread: Rogers Hornsby said it best...

Blog Entries

Rogers Hornsby said it best...

"People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."-- Rogers Hornsby

Quote Originally Posted by Brownieand45sfan
    "People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."-- Rogers Hornsby
    Great quote. My preferences are baseball and football so I hate the time between the Super Bowl and Opening Day!

Brownie31

I hate the current day NFL, so basically all of winter is torture for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsburg2599
    I hate the current day NFL, so basically all of winter is torture for me.
    What about college football?

Brownie31

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie31
    What about college football?

Brownie31
    College is alright, but the challenge rule this year and the drawn out post season sort of bugs me, I really like 1-AA though(or what ever there calling it now), especally with all the 1-AA schools around here (MAINE,UNH,RI,UMASS,etc..,)

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsburg2599
    College is alright, but the challenge rule this year and the drawn out post season sort of bugs me, I really like 1-AA though(or what ever there calling it now), especally with all the 1-AA schools around here (MAINE,UNH,RI,UMASS,etc..,)
    There is a 1-AA school here in the Birmingham area-Samford University. They pulled off a small coup recently by hiring Pat Sullivan, 1971 Heisman winner at Auburn, as their head coach. Samford belongs to the Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) which is funny since Alabama is nowhere near the Ohio Valley! Kind of like when the Atlanta Braves were in the NL West and the Chicago Cubs in the NL East!

Brownie31

Exclamation C'mon 2007 Baseball Season!

From the last game of The Series,
    Til the first real game of spring,
    I always feel the vacuum's sting,
    Of baseball season gone a wing,
    And not replaced by anything.

Thank God. The end of the void is near.
    "Our fans never booed us. - They wouldn't dare. - We outnumbered 'em." ... Browns Pitcher Ned Garver.

West Palm Beach, FL March 3, 1935: No more looking out the window for Rogers Hornsby, St. Louis Browns manager. Spring has arrived! What lies ahead for Hornsby and his '35 Browns? A 65-87 seventh place finish and paid attendance of 80,922. Maybe that window looked better after that? (Corbis)

Brownie31
    Attached Images Attached Images

Boy, did the Rajah hit the nail on the head with that quote. I couldn't agree more. Football is nothing more than a poor substitute between seasons.
    "(Ty) Cobb is a prick. But he sure can hit. God Almighty, that man can hit." - Babe Ruth

Blog Entries
    Whats that '35 cap on the Hornsby picture posted by Brownie 31? A brown hat with a brown "SL"? Orange "SL"? Whatever it is, the lettering sure looks dark. I don't believe the hat makers have reproduced that hat yet.