Clear All
  • TheKingofKings
    KJ
    • Jan 2006

Nats sign Belliard to Minor League Deal

Nats sign Belliard to Minor League deal
    Infielder hit .272 with 13 home runs and 67 RBIs in 2006
    By Bill Ladson / MLB.COM

VIERA, Fla. -- Looking to strengthen their bench and protect themselves in case of an injury to starting shortstop Cristian Guzman, the Nationals signed Ronnie Belliard to a non-guaranteed Minor League contract Sunday. If he makes the club, Belliard will make $750,000, plus incentives.
    Belliard played with the Indians and Cardinals in 2006, and hit a combined .272 with 13 home runs and 67 RBIs. The 31-year-old was instrumental in the Cardinals' postseason run to the World Series. He made $4 million last season.

Belliard would be the perfect backup to third baseman Ryan Zimmerman and second baseman Felipe Lopez, and if Guzman is not ready to play shortstop or he is unproductive with the bat, Belliard could start at second with Lopez moving back to short.

"I think there is no doubt second base is [Belliard's] best position, and he can also play first base," general manager Jim Bowden said. "[He has] a good bat. It gives us protection in the middle, flexibility in the middle, depth. It gives us a piece like last year. With Daryle Ward, Marlon Anderson and Royce Clayton, we were able to trade [them] at some point later in the year to get Jhonny Nunez, Luis Atilano and Ryan Wagner. We got three young arms [by] having that depth."

Belliard is a career .272 hitter in nine seasons with the Brewers, Rockies, Indians and Cardinals.

Bill Ladson is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
  • Peorgie T
    Sec. 113
    • Nov 2004

This looks like a decent pickup. I'm surprised the Nats' offer was the best deal he could get.

I wonder if this is a reaction to what they've observed from Guzman this off- season?

Comment

• Spazz
      Acting NL President
      • Nov 2006

I'll echo that. Hard to believe this is the best deal Ronnie could get. Coming fresh off a WS championship an all. Very strange. But a great pickup for the Nats. Look for him to be a starter. I seriously doubt he'll spend any time down in AAA. What a bargain!
      =======================
      Senior Circuit. Pure baseball.

Comment

• Peorgie T
        Sec. 113
        • Nov 2004

The Post reported today that Guzman hasn't even started throwing at full speed yet.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X