Page 69 of 74 FirstFirst ... 19596768697071 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 1840

Thread: Yankee Stadium [I] Renovation (1974 - 1975)

Dear Friends,

I'm way behind on trying to print up the posts relating to the YS Demolition and Gate 2 posts on Baseball Fever as well.

I've just decided to go with "Babe's Place" as it is. I do still have some work to do on it. This included working on photos and captions for the publisher. Also, writing an index for the book.

I have also decided that I will work on a book after "Babe's Place," which will be about the demolition of YS, our efforts to Save Gate 2, and the construction of the new Yankee Stadium.

To try to cram in the demolition and new YS into "Babe's Place" would put a lot of time pressure on me, and would hurt the quality of my research and writing.

I've written an e-mail to the publisher and send photos samples along, as well as a chapter to see how they think it would work.

I apologize for the flip-flops. "Babe's Place" should easily be published by October at the very latest.

Sincerely,
    Mike

Blog Entries
    Not sure if these have been posted, but I don't remember seeing them. October 26, 1973.

Wow sultan. I've never seen those before. As I always say, heartbreaking and fascinating at the same time.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Dear Friends,

After 10 years of research and writing, "Babe's Place: The Lives of Yankee Stadium," is finally published!!!

I mailed copies of the book to family, the New York Yankees, the Baseball Hall of Fame, Major League Baseball, libraries, and other sources. At this time I have 40 copies for sale.

It's hardcover and is 8 1/2"x11," weighs over 4 pounds, and has 511 pages. "Babe's Place" covers the history of the New York Yankees and Yankee Stadium. It contains 151 photos of the 1970s renovation. Some are in color. There are also 88 non-Yankee Stadium renovation photos. This includes some color and non-color photos of the Yankees at Shea Stadium in 1974 and 1975. There are 30 color photos in the book. Most of the photos are 3 3/4" x 4 3/4". That's 239 photos.

There are also 212 responses by former baseball players, umpires, baseball executives, and others as to how they feel about the renovation of Yankee Stadium.

I plan to have another printing of the book in February or March of 2013. The research is solid, and I enjoyed putting this book together.

For anyone interested in purchasing a copy, I am accepting checks or money orders for $50. The book is $45., plus postage of $5. via the U.S. Post Office. I am not set up for credit cards, Pay Pal, etc.

Please mail to: Michael Wagner
    3809 S. General Bruce Drive, Suite103
    PMB #192
    Temple, TX 76502

To reserve a copy, please e-mail me at yankeeswinws@yahoo.com

I'd be happy to sign it if you wish. If anyone would like it inscribed, please let me know, and include the recipient of the inscription.

I am also accepting applications for a book agent to have "Babe's Place" published, promoted, and distributed on a national level.

Thank you.

Mike Wagner

I tried for over an hour to try to get the cover photo of "Babe's Place" on this site, but without success. Sorry folks.

-Mike

Got my copy already and this book is a good one! A ton of info on the Stadium, from the construction in the twenties up to the renovation and re-opening in the seventies. Mike concentrated mostly on the renovation, which is an important part of the Stadium's history, and which, up until now, has been virtually ignored in book form. Mike gives us facts and figures from the twenties, a little team history, and a lot of info on the renovation. The reminiscing by the former players, umps,etc is not very enlightening because many of them have little to say about the renovation, but a few responses are very interesting. Mike takes us back to the late sixties and early seventies to the process and negotiations that led to the project. It's easy to see how it may not have happened because of costs and politics. We're taken to the last game at the Stadium in '73 as well as the ceremony on the field the following day. We hear from many people involved in the demolition and reconstruction. There are some technical things explained, and a few contradictory statements from people. Thats bound to happen when people strain their memories back forty years. But my favorite part of this book is the photos. Almost all of them are Mike's originals, taken from several vantage points over a period of a few years. It's great to be able to compare a certain part of the park, for example the RF stands, before, during and after the process. Remember, these are not professional shots, but Mike knew what he was after when he took these. Most of them are clear and show some nice detail. A few of my favorites--thousands of seats lined up for sale outside the Stadium, a section of the facade being removed from the roof, demos of Gate 4 and Gate 6, roofs of the ticket booths piles outside {interesting to read where some of those ended up}, the transporting of the baseball bat-smokestack to the site, and a color shot looking through the steel of the new scoreboard wall with several sections of the new frieze visible inside. There are a few pix of the Yanks playing at Shea {booo!} and a few of the RYS in '76. To me, it's the kind of book that you can open to any page and find something interesting. All in all a job well done. And don't be scared off by the price. If you're a YS buff or especially interested in the time period, it's worth it.
    Last edited by The Monument; 11-12-2012 at 08:49 PM.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Quote Originally Posted by SultanOfWhat View Post
    Not sure if these have been posted, but I don't remember seeing them. October 26, 1973.

Never posted, outstanding.
    Thank You.

Dear The Monument,

Thank you for your review of "Babe's Place." It does fill the gap of the renovation of Yankee Stadium. I'm glad I took those photos years ago. You never know what will come back to haunt you in a good way or bad way. This was a good way. It's an important part of Yankee Stadium history that will not be lost to the ages. Finding out all I did about the renovation, as well as the other historic eras of the Yankees and the Stadium was a wonderful experience. If anyone else would care their honest views about "Babe's Place," please do.

-Mike Wagner

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wagner View Post
    I tried for over an hour to try to get the cover photo of "Babe's Place" on this site, but without success. Sorry folks.
    -Mike
    Here is the link to the Facebook page you created for the book.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Babe-...25898774113877

I'm thrilled for you after years of this quest your wonderful book is finally completed and slightly concerned what the reaction will be from the Yankees. Here is the cover image you tried to post, if you do not agree with the cover being posted, let me know and I'll edit/delete this.

Congratulations.
    [img=http://img104.imagevenue.com/loc550/th_775562497_665269_450870518283366_976008754_o_12 2_550lo.jpg]

665269_450870518283366_976008754_o.jpg
    Last edited by WEB; 11-12-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Dear WEB,

Thank you for your kind words and for being nice enough to post the cover of the book. The white cover is the proof from the printer. The gray cover on Facebook is the actual cover of the finished book. I hope the Yankees will like the book.

The beautiful cover was created by Brad Turnow of historyoftheyankees.com. 48 Hour Books of Akron, Ohio, was the
    publisher I used to self-publish "Babe's Place." They were absolutely wonderful to work with!!! The 3 photos on the back of the book are photos I took. The photo of Babe Ruth on the front is courtesy of the Baseball Hall of Fame. Pat Kelly, the photo archivist, is a great lady. Pat let me view quite a few photos of the Babe, as well as some photos of the Polo Grounds and Yankee Stadium, as well as others of Babe that are found inside the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wagner View Post

-Mike

Here ya go, Mike..
    I can't wait to read it!!!

"We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Dear DN4L,

My sincere thanks for putting the cover on here. You did a wonderful job!!! I'll bet it took you only 30 seconds to do it.

-Mike

Cool Yankee Stadium Modernization - Section Overlay

And please Mike, feel free to annotate as you feel necessary and use this diagram in a future edition. There should be no communis - I mean COPYRIGHT issues with it. I created it myself!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Dear NYFan1stYankFan2nd,

Thank you for your kindness and generosity. We have some mighty creative people on Baseball Fever.

-Mike

Dear Mr. Wagner,

I had a chance to read your book and it is excellent! I think this book is for any baseball fan in general, not just Yankees fans. What an incredible job you did. There is so much information in here and you obviously did your homework. This is a unique book and a great read. I would recommend this to anyone, especially with the holidays coming soon. Again, great job and great read. What a history lesson!
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Brad's Ultimate New York Yankees Website

website - www.HistoryOfTheYankees.com
    blog - http://historyoftheyankees.blogspot.com/

Dear HistoryOfTheYankees,

Thank you for your kind words. I wanted to have the book come out right. Based on the many personal e-mails I've received, it did. I'm grateful for the positive responses.

-Mike

Dear Mike,

My check is in the mail. I'm sure that the book came out great. Looking forward to receiving it and reading it!

Brad
    "Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth." - Lou Gehrig, Yankee Stadium, July 4, 1939

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPwsl8YtxqQ
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thestadiumguy/

Babe's Place: FOUR STARS!!!

Mike,

I just finished reading your book tonight, and I have to say it was a fantastic and very informative read!!!
    It's amazing that this was your very first book project, because it read like it was written by a veteran pro!
    I HIGHLY recommend this book to all baseball fans (especially Yankee fans). It is without a doubt, a "must read"!!

Again, congrats on your masterpiece..
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

I spoke with Mike on the phone for an hour on Sunday night and only got to half of the topics that I wanted to, so I'm calling him back next weekend. We discussed lots about his book, including a few corrections that I thought needed to be made. One of them that we both weren't 100% sure about concern the photo captions for the pix on pgs 241 and 291. Mike has them as E 157th St, looking East. I contend that it is actually Ruppert Pl. {?} on the 3B side, looking south. What do you guys think? Mike is looking for complete accuracy and corrections can be made in future editions. There were a few other instances of minor errors which turned out to be mistakes taken from the original source, not from Mike. In books like these I always look for any new info, stuff that I didn't already know, and there was more here than I expected. The interviews with the workers on the demo & renovation shed some light on things. I know that at least a few dozen of you BBF members have a copy, and Mike is really hoping for some feedback. He mentioned the personal emails, which is great, but how about some discussion here now that this project is finally a reality?

Dear the stadium guy,

From the e-mails and posts on here, you will not be disappointed.

-Mike

Dear DN4L,

WOW!!! You're a fast reader!!!! Thank you for the wonderful testimony. You never really know how well or how poorly you are doing until your peers cast their ballots. It's very heartening to know that you're happy with the finished product.

-Mike

Dear The Monument,

It was a great pleasure to talk to you. You are also a very fast reader - especially for 511 pages! I enjoyed the personal stories from the workers and baseball players and umpires because it gives a nice warmth and human touch to the book. They also lived the history, so it's great that they were nice enough to share this history with us.

Yes, I did aim for 100% accuracy. That goal will never change. If anyone does have any corrections to add, please do.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    One of them that we both weren't 100% sure about concern the photo captions for the pix on pgs 241 and 291. Mike has them as E 157th St, looking East. I contend that it is actually Ruppert Pl. {?} on the 3B side, looking south. What do you guys think?
    The Monument is correct. The two photos are, in fact, Ruppert Place from 161st Street, looking south along the third base exterior towards home plate (Gate 4). In the top photo on page 241, in the distance is an apartment building on the Manhattan side of the Harlem River. (Note: this building is NOT one of the Polo Grounds Towers.) In the top photo on page 291, that same building can be seen between the stadium and the street light. Also, in the top photo on page 291, there is a curb that would not be present on the 157th Street pedestrian plaza, because Ruppert Place was still an actual street - and if this was the 157th Street, you'd see the parking garage across the street... there is no garage across the street in this image.

The book itself is impressive, and I'm glad to have been able to be a part of it. The renovation of Yankee Stadium is uncharted territory in the book world, and Mike Wagner has done a terrific job. I was particularly interested in the renovation photos taken from the 161st Street elevated platform, because having used that same vantage point to take demolition shots, I could relate. It's too bad the interest in ballparks wasn't as widespread back then as it is now, because we could have gotten a whole avalance of interesting renovation images, especially since they just had "chicken wire" fences surrounding the perimeter, instead of solid wood as was the case during the demolition.

As a Met fan, I liked seeing Shea Stadium have its moment in the sun. Interesting to see the close-up of the Yankees logo at the top of the Shea scoreboard (page 183), because it shows not only how it was placed in there, but you can also see the "wind holes" that were intentionally added to prevent any actual damage from wind.

Also, the caption on page 173 should be changed to read "Shea Stadium, home of the New York Mets from 1964 to 2008" - it currently reads " . . . home of the New York Mets since 1964" which is no longer correct.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Dear Gary,

Thank you for your critique and corrections. To have the best baseball photographer give my book high praise is indeed a true honor. It's also a relief, as we all know of Gary's high standards and knowledge. In fact, that's how I feel about the rest of my baseball friends, as I know that all of you know your baseball facts and stadiums inside and out.

My warmest wishes to all for a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Most Sincerely,
    Mike

25. Mike:

I really enjoyed your book! The level of detail is amazing. It's the first book I've read about Yankee Stadium (and I've read a lot of em) that's actually about Yankee Stadium.

Rick

Page 69 of 74 FirstFirst ... 19596768697071 ... LastLast