Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2464727374
Results 1,826 to 1,840 of 1840

Thread: Yankee Stadium [I] Renovation (1974 - 1975)

Love the 2009/10 photos atop the concourse roof! Imagine having to crank those turnbuckles to tighten them as Dick Muller mentioned in his interview?
    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Blog Entries
    I found these 3 Ross Lewis photos on Fine Art America:

I've emailed Mr Lewis a few times. He insists on selling his photos preserved on fine photo paper, which I understand. Problem is, they are at a high price, more than the average fan can afford. He has thirteen thousand pix, only a few which are available for sale. I'd love to see them in book form or on ebooks, or for sale as 4x6 prints at a fair price.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Dear Friends,

I just finished putting the new e-book version of "Babe's Place: The Lives of Yankee Stadium," on lulu.com. The cost is $5.99. Whereas the book was published in 2012 and contains 511 pages, the e-book is 637 pages. It has more detailed information on the 1970s renovation of Yankee Stadium. There are about 252 photos in the e-book, of which there about 160 of the renovation. And, besides giving opinions of the renovation, I've now added former baseball players, umpires, and baseball executives about their feelings about the demolition of Yankee Stadium.

Thats good news Mike, I'll have to check it out.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Hey everyone! I am hoping you guys can help with a question I had. I remember reading on this thread or one of the Yankee Stadium threads about a certain architectural term. It was used to describe the feeling of walking through the enclosed tunnels to the open and expansive field. Does anyone know what the term is to describe this feeling? I was trying to describe it to my friend the other day but couldn't remember. How unfortunate that the NYS does not have that feeling anywhere in the stadium. Thank you!

I've always thought of emerging from the darkened, narrow tunnels at the older style stadiums, and coming out to the openness of the stadium bowl, with the green grass and all the other sights, as akin to the process of being born!
    First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by CHiller View Post
    I've always thought of emerging from the darkened, narrow tunnels at the older style stadiums, and coming out to the openness of the stadium bowl, with the green grass and all the other sights, as akin to the process of being born!
    I totally agree with you!

But HOK (Populous) has taken that experience away.

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    I totally agree with you!

But HOK (Populous) has taken that experience away.
    They've taken originality and individuality away. What a shame they have a monopoly on ballpark design.

I would love to see more prints of Yankee stadium after the 74 renovation. It would greatly help me to find as many prints and demotions of the 74-76 renovation for some sports related research. Anything you can posted would be greatly appreciated.

Thumbs up

I grabbed the new version of the book from lulu and I'm working my way through it now. And I like what I'm seeing! Nice job, Mike!

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wagner View Post
    Dear Friends,

I just finished putting the new e-book version of "Babe's Place: The Lives of Yankee Stadium," on lulu.com. The cost is $5.99. Whereas the book was published in 2012 and contains 511 pages, the e-book is 637 pages. It has more detailed information on the 1970s renovation of Yankee Stadium. There are about 252 photos in the e-book, of which there about 160 of the renovation. And, besides giving opinions of the renovation, I've now added former baseball players, umpires, and baseball executives about their feelings about the demolition of Yankee Stadium.
    "Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth." - Lou Gehrig, Yankee Stadium, July 4, 1939

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPwsl8YtxqQ
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thestadiumguy/

Dear Brad,

Thank you. I know you will not be disappointed. This will most likely be the last version of "Babe's Place." If it sells very well, then I'll probably have some hard cover books published. If not, then I won't. The price is actually $5.95, not $5.99.

Quote Originally Posted by locke40 View Post
    Hey everyone! I am hoping you guys can help with a question I had. I remember reading on this thread or one of the Yankee Stadium threads about a certain architectural term. It was used to describe the feeling of walking through the enclosed tunnels to the open and expansive field. Does anyone know what the term is to describe this feeling? I was trying to describe it to my friend the other day but couldn't remember. How unfortunate that the NYS does not have that feeling anywhere in the stadium. Thank you!
    You're not talking about Vomitorium (sometimes referred to as a "vomitory" or simply "vom") by chance are you? It's a very old Latin term that literally means "to spew forth", which pretty closely matches the idea of walking through a tunnel and then into the expanse, similar to being "spewed forth."

If I'm completely off, forgive me, but that's my best guess.

As opposed to one of those new Latin terms.

That's it though. Bona Latin scientia, Taylor!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    As opposed to one of those new Latin terms.

That's it though. Bona Latin scientia, Taylor!
    Haha...good point. Latin isn't exactly "young" in the grand scheme of things.

And my Latin knowledge consists of being able to dictate it (essentially read it aloud with correct pronunciation but no idea of the meanings, generally) and that's it.

I only knew that term from an internship I had during college from Summer 2008 to Spring 2011: I interned for the Packers in the marketing department. With Lambeau Field being a massive bowl and the entire concourse looking almost identical all the way around under the bowl, insiders often help outsiders around the stadium on where to meet others inside the stadium not by section number (because an outsider isn't going to be certain of the pattern, even though it's pretty easy with odds on the east side and evens on the west side) but by telling them roughly what position on the clock to enter into the bowl with 12 being the north endzone. The first time I heard this it was something along the lines of "Go into the bowl from about a 2 o'clock vom from the concourse." I was so confused, as I had no idea what "vom" meant. I later asked, learning it was short for vomitory, which was really short for vomitorium.

I never really looked in the origin of the word until much later, but that feeling of being thrust into the bowl at Lambeau definitely holds true. Especially considering that all entrances into the bowl at Lambeau, minus a few on the East side from club level, are via a vomitorium.

Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2464727374