Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2565737475
Results 1,851 to 1,861 of 1861

Thread: Yankee Stadium [I] Renovation (1974 - 1975)

Dear cgcoyne2,

Thank you for the kind words. I spoke to Dalton Jones of the Red Sox earlier today. He's also enjoying the book.

I'm done. The book was excellent. I especially liked the interviews with Steve Koch. Thank you Mike, it was worth the wait.
    Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Dear cgcoyne2,

THANK YOU!!! I'm glad you enjoyed "Babe's Place." It was a labor of love. Steve Koch, along with so many other people were absolutely wonderful!!!! Thank you for your purchase and positive input.
    Be well.
    -Mike

Dear Friends.

I just put "Babe's Place: The Lives of Yankee Stadium" back onto www.lulu.com for $5.95. I will have it taken off of www.amazon.com. The reason is that the format is messed up and the photos are overlayed over the text. www.lulu.com has a much better, easier to read format. I apologize for the inconvenience. Jeff Fuller, please send me a private e-mail here or at yankeeswinws@yahoo.com. Thank you.

Mike, I thought you might be interested in this item I just came across. On the eve of the Stadium's reopening, a local NY radio station WKRC-FM (the Columbia University station) aired this documentary special on the Stadium's renovation, and it was a pretty hard-hitting study of the costs and how many local Bronx businesses were left out of the picture ultimately. Interviews with Marty Appel and others.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2qqiwkq10d...a%20U.mp3?dl=0

Dear epaddon,

Thank you for posting this. I found the show to be most fascinating, with a lot of great information. You never know where or when new information will turn up.

Glad you enjoyed it, Mike! This was part of a set of reel-to-reel recordings that were on e-bay recently of vintage Yankee games recorded by one person in New Jersey between 1963 and 1985 (not previously available recordings like those commercially sold by John Miley etc.) and this just happened to be among the items. I highly doubt WKRC kept this in their own files, so yes sometimes great rarities that tell us a lot can turn up in unexpected places.

Dear epaddon,

It just takes one person to keep history alive. You never know where they are or when it will happen. But when it does, it opens up a whole wealth of treasures that everyone can enjoy, not to speak of the historical significance that is of great importance.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
    A steel expansion joint, also known as a rocker bearing, fell from the rafters in 1998.
    I believe this rocker joint was added when Yankee Stadium was expanded in 1928.

The Times reported that the renovation in the 1970's reduced the pressure on the steel beams holding the bearing in place, allowing the bearing to wiggle loose over time. This should have been considered during the renovations. The original structure is solid.

The inspectors gave Yankee Stadium a clean bill of health and stated that Yankee Stadium would stand another 75 years....Unfortunately Steinbrenner and the City had other plans.....

I'm going to scan a photo of the rocker joints and post shortly...

Interesting to note that this incident occurred not long after the
    highest capacity crowd ever at a game in *post-1975* RYS. Must
    have put a lot of stress on those overhanging decks. Would love
    to have seen deflection numbers after that 1998 game.
    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Today there are so many monitoring systems used in structures that you could see in a report someone just walking around the stadium. Would be neat to see how much a place moves with a big crowd.

I've seen rocker bearings fall out of bridges. They seize up and will slide on their bearing pad. I've seen bearings rust away too therefore freeing them from whatever they were between.

Honestly the culprit here was lack of proper inspection. 20 years of city ownership may have been a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    Today there are so many monitoring systems used in structures that you could see in a report someone just walking around the stadium. Would be neat to see how much a place moves with a big crowd.

I've seen rocker bearings fall out of bridges. They seize up and will slide on their bearing pad. I've seen bearings rust away too therefore freeing them from whatever they were between.

Honestly the culprit here was lack of proper inspection. 20 years of city ownership may have been a factor.
    And I'll bet that Ol' Girl in the Bronx moved a lot - a lot more than
    might be acceptable if the same renovation were done today!
    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2565737475