Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most cliche baseball phrases

"That's a Faygo homerun" ~Jim Price on Tigers radio games (promotional thing)

"He's a professional hitter"

"He looks like a ballplayer"

"The....Yankees win!!" <----hate that!
    Last edited by TigersFanB406; 03-13-2007 at 07:57 AM. Reason: meant to say "radio"
    Place your quote here for just $5.00

I hate pink bats...Tigers losses...White Sox...Yanks...and Chevrolet!

Ballgame over, Yankees Win, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Yankees Win!!!!
    Last Player to hit for the Cycle: Alex Rios, Texas Rangers (September 23, 2013)

Last Pitcher to throw a Regular Season No-Hitter: Henderson Alvarez, Miami Marlins (September 29, 2013)

Last Pitcher to throw a Postseason No-Hitter: Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies 4-0 (October 6, 2010)

"...a bang-bang play."

That's all I could think of, however, the next time I hear Charlie Steiner, I'll be back with about 50.

Quote Originally Posted by geezer
    Ballgame over, Yankees Win, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Yankees Win!!!!
    Argh! LOL

Another one I hate is when they say the pitcher "jammed" him.
    Place your quote here for just $5.00

I hate pink bats...Tigers losses...White Sox...Yanks...and Chevrolet!

I hate this call with a passion! It is so STUPID!!!!
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

http://sfgiants-forum.com/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules
    I hate this call with a passion! It is so STUPID!!!!
    Yeah, he act if somebody scared him after he said Yankees Win.
    Last Player to hit for the Cycle: Alex Rios, Texas Rangers (September 23, 2013)

Last Pitcher to throw a Regular Season No-Hitter: Henderson Alvarez, Miami Marlins (September 29, 2013)

Last Pitcher to throw a Postseason No-Hitter: Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies 4-0 (October 6, 2010)

Blog Entries
    I think this one's limited to Joe Buck, but he literally could NOT refrain from describing Olmedo Saenz as "The DANGEROUS Olmedo Saenz!" over and over and over during the 2007 NLDS. Nobody else was described as such, not even Carlos Delgado (who tore up Dodger pitching) or a genuinely "dangerous" Dodgers slugger like Jeff Kent. I thought it to be utterly ridiculous.
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Yes, this is a REALLY bad call! Very obnoxious and completely in-your-face rhetoric. I have to believe there are many Yankee fans who dislike it and are embarrassed by it. At least, I would hope so! I know that if the Dodgers had an announcer who said this after every win, I would be embarrassed for him. I truly would. I get the concept of homerism and the fact that announcers are not merely objective observers devoid of partisan emotion, but yech. This call is horrific.

Imagine if the famous call of Russ Hodges had been repeated by him after every Giants victory. Wouldn't you be a bit embarrassed as a fan to hear, "The Giants win the game! The Giants win the game! The Giants win the Game!" every time they won? Hodges' call was a spontaneous outburst of excitement following an incredible end to an incredible game, so one can forgive, and even embrace, the enthusiasm. But the call that Yankee announcer (whoever he is) makes after each Yankee win is one that a broadcaster would make after an amazing or unforgettable victory, NOT after every win during the season.

Or does he do it every game? I'm under the impression he does. If so, I find it pretty pathetic.
    Last edited by Dodgerfan1; 03-14-2007 at 05:13 PM.
    Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

"Touch 'em all" (Charlie Brown - or whatever)
    Luke

"Professional Hitter"

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    "Professional Hitter"
    A "professional hitter" is a guy who hits .280-.300 but doesn't draw any walks and has mediocre power. Freddy Sanchez is the quintessential "professional hitter". He's a career .297 hitter but has a career 98 OPS+. People think he was good hitter because he hit over .300 often (even won a batting title once) but his career high in walks is 32 and he hit double digit home runs just once (11 HRs). Giants GM Brian Sabean loves to sign "professional hitters" like they are going out of style. The only thing worse than Sabean signing a "professional hitter" is when he signs a "gamer"!
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

http://sfgiants-forum.com/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by milladrive View Post
    "No runs, no hits, no errors."
    That's not a cliche, that's a description of an inning.

Runs well for a catcher.

"Texas Leaguer" is one we laugh about down here in my league!
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

"The last guy who ran as badly as Bill Buckner was Long John Silver." Mark Heisler, sportswriter

"I'm getting by on three pitches now - a curve, a change-up, and whatever you want to call that thing that used to be a fastball." Frank Tanana

Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    "Texas Leaguer" is one we laugh about down here in my league!
    Yeah, but is it a cliche?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12