Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiger Stadium Preservation

It is certainly going to be another "pins and needles" day in the saga that has been the Tiger Stadium preservation effort.

The following is an AP wire story picked up by the Detroit News (why a local paper has to rely on AP for such news is beyond me):

Tuesday, October 7, 2008
    Detroit council set to vote on fate of Tiger Stadium
    Associated Press
    DETROIT -- The pitch to save part of Tiger Stadium is once again in the hands of the Detroit City Council.

The council is set to decide at its Tuesday meeting whether to authorize the complete demolition of the old ballpark.

Crews began tearing down the stadium in June. A corner of the ballpark has been left standing while a preservation group tries to raise money to turn it into a sports museum.

The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy was told to pay the city $219,000 by Tuesday morning to hold off total demolition. The group says it can pay $69,000 Tuesday and wants until the end of the week to hand over the rest.

The stadium's fate last came before the council in July, when a vote was delayed while preservation advocates and city officials continued to negotiate.
    Jeff

Reprieve!

As posted at the Freep's site moments ago...

Tiger Stadium again given reprieve
    By Zachary Gorchow Free Press Staff Writer October 7, 2008

Tiger Stadium received another reprieve today from full demolition as the Detroit City Council again voted against full demolition of Tiger Stadium.

Preservationists had said they would turn over $219,000 to defray costs to the city caused by delaying full demolition, but only had $150,000. City officials had grown frustrated with preservationists repeated statements that they had money in hand.

They had asked for an extension until Friday, but it was not immediately clear whether the council would take up a new resolution to direct the Detroit Economic Growth Corp. to give them that time.

The vote was 5-3 against demolition. Council President Pro Tem JoAnn Watson and Councilwomen Alberta Tinsley-Talabi, Sheila Cockrel, Brenda Jones and Martha Reeves opposed demolition.

Council President Monica Conyers and Councilmembers Barbara-Rose Collins and Kwame Kenyatta supported demolition.

Preservationists have proposed keeping a dugout-to-dugout portion of the stadium the oldest part of the ballpark and turning it into a Corktown welcome center. The playing field also would have been preserved.

Councilwoman Martha Reeves, who has urged preservation of the stadium, said a last chance to save the historic ballpark is more important than the $219,000.

We still have history that will be lost if its completely demolished, she said. I dont think that the amount that youre speaking even compares with the amount of lawsuits we pay out every day.

Collins said the financial consequences are real.

Theyve given them time after time after time, said Councilwoman Barbara-Rose Collins. It seems like its only one day and its only one day and its only one day. Its $219,000.

DEGC officials had said they are at their limit with the demolition contractor on extensions.
    Jeff

Here is a link to a short article about the preservation of tiger stadium that was posted on ESPN.com today, the article is pretty much the same info. beech cricker posted in the last post:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3630664

Martha Reeves? Not the Martha Reeves, is it?

Any opportunity to keep going is good news. Continued success to those on the home front.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    Martha Reeves? Not the Martha Reeves, is it?

Any opportunity to keep going is good news. Continued success to those on the home front.
    I think it actually is the lady who sang "Dancing in the Streets, Heatwave, Nowhere to Hide" among others. Martha was elected to the city council in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    I think it actually is the lady who sang "Dancing in the Streets, Heatwave, Nowhere to Hide" among others. Martha was elected to the city council in 2005.
    Yes, it is THE Martha Reeves. When Motown Records moved their remaining Detroit operations to Los Angeles in c. 1972, Martha was among several artists and other employees that chose to stay in the Detroit area. I believe she still performs in the area though I haven't heard of any such engagements recently.
    Jeff

I do not understand.

On one hand this group says it's cancelling fundraisers because it's having a celebration instead because they have the money and on the other they are scrambling for money to a point they could not meet it's deadline and had to put the project back in the hands of the Council?

Things are that so bad they did not have the funds to make sure yesterday never came to a vote that could have killed everything?

That sounds as desperate as it gets.

How can they ever hope to raise fifteen million dollars on time or even the money necessary to survive the next three days if things are this tight?

Meanwhile the game continues, saved, not save, saved, not saved.

I do not think a demolition should ever have happened at all and I have no problem with what's left staying forever regardless but I do support this group either paying for what it promises or saying they cannot.

If things are this tight it really raises questions on long-term viablity of this group.

Quote Originally Posted by WEB View Post
    I do not understand.

On one hand this group says it's cancelling fundraisers because it's having a celebration instead because they have the money and on the other they are scrambling for money to a point they could not meet it's deadline and had to put the project back in the hands of the Council?

Things are that so bad they did not have the funds to make sure yesterday never came to a vote that could have killed everything?

That sounds as desperate as it gets.

How can they ever hope to raise fifteen million dollars on time or even the money necessary to survive the next three days if things are this tight?

Meanwhile the game continues, saved, not save, saved, not saved.

I do not think a demolition should ever have happened at all and I have no problem with what's left staying forever regardless but I do support this group either paying for what it promises or saying they cannot.

If things are this tight it really raises questions on long-term viablity of this group.
    WEB,

I can certainly understand your confusion.

The remaining scheduled fundraisers were cancelled because they fell after yesterday's council meeting where the funds were to have been in place.

Talk of celebration and such was certainly premature. I don't know why that was made public at that time. I know some donors have been waiting for the Memoradum of Understanding to be completed. Though the terms were agreed to on Friday it STILL is not signed, at least as of close of business yesterday. I know some of these funding sources want this done before committing. Do you blame them? Meanwhile the continued problems with the financial markets cannot be helping matters.

As for the $10-15 million...that will come out of a different pot, largedly the Federal earmark, Federal and state tax credits and other larger contributors. The initial funds had to be raised at least partially through grassroots efforts. Not to say obtaining the Federal and state funds will be a snap--they certainly will not--but I would think it would be easier than grassroots fundraising. Also keep in mind there is more time to obtain these additional funds--time for these funds to work through their respective systems.

One final point--the agreement has been through a series of drafts over the last several weeks. The DEGC has not been in a hurry to get it done--yet all that is reported, e.g. today's Freep article in the hardcopy edition, is that the OTSC is missing deadlines. This Tuesday deadline, for example, essentially came out of the blue, I understand. Keep in mind the parties had not agreed to the MofU when that was established. The DEGC wants the money yet their is no agreement. Where is the logic in that?
    Jeff

Wwj

WWJ's report on the status plus interview (hit link for photo and interview with Thom Linn):

http://www.wwj.com/pages/3095575.php?

Posted: Tuesday, 07 October 2008 11:48AM

Tiger Stadium Saga Goes to Extra Innings

Florence Walton, Scott Ryan Reporting

Detroit (WWJ) -- The fate of Tiger Stadium is going to extra innings.

WWJ Newsradio 950's Florence Walton was there Tuesday as Detroit City Council voted 5-3 to reject a plan to immediately demolish the remainder of the ballpark.

Council also gave the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy group until Friday to come up with $219,000 to keep the wrecking ball at bay. The group says it has more than half the money, in hopes of building a sports museum at Michigan and Trumbull.

Conservancy board member and State Representative Steve Tobocman said the group is making progress. "Let's be clear, we're $69,000 away from covering the city's costs. This isn't a subsidy, this is covering all the city's costs, so the city is completely whole on this project."

Crews began tearing down the stadium in June. The stadium's fate last came before the council in July, when a vote was delayed while preservation advocates and city officials continued to negotiate.

WWJ's Greg Bowman talked with Conservancy Vice President Tom Linn about the demolition and efforts to save part of the ballpark: [see link]
    Last edited by Beech Cricker; 10-08-2008 at 01:03 PM.
    Jeff

Great Lakes Aerials

In case you haven't taken a look lately, here are the aerials of Tiger Stadium through 9/20:

http://www.aerialpics.com/G/TigerStadiumDemo.html
    Jeff

Note from OTSC

The following went out to OTSC donors this morning:

The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy and the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation have reached agreement on a Memorandum of Understanding that will ultimately transfer title to the stadium to the Conservancy and grant a long-term lease of the playing field. We want our supporters to know that we are encouraged by this development and are continuing to pursue our goals of preserving and redeveloping the historic Navin Field grandstand and upper deck, restoring the playing grounds as a first-class youth baseball facility and revitalizing Corktown, Detroit's oldest neighborhood.

The Detroit City Council voted Tuesday to reject the DEGC's recommendation for complete demolition, allowing our group a brief extension Through the generosity of hundreds of Tiger Stadium supporters, we have raised approximately $170,000 to date. However, we still need to raise another $50,000 to provide for six months of onsite security while we put our long-term financing in place. Our $15M project plan expects to receive $4 million via a federal earmark and more than $6 million in historic preservation and economic stimulus tax credits.

The Conservancy is fighting hard to save historic Tiger Stadium, but we need your help. We're asking supporters to visit our Web site at www.savetigerstadium.org and donate whatever they can afford this week.

Note that, as stated on our Web site, donations will not be refunded in the event that the Conservancy's plan does not receive approval by the City of Detroit. The Conservancy expects to utilize all donations in the fight to save Tiger Stadium, and any unspent donations will be directed to a non-profit organization that is harmonious with the OTSC's mission.

The Conservancy is a registered Michigan non-profit corporation and has been accorded 501(c)3 status by the Internal Revenue Service. Therefore, all donations made to the OTSC, including those made earlier in 2008, are eligible to be deducted as a charitable contribution on your 2008 tax returns.

Thank you in advance for your generous donation in support of Tiger Stadium.

Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy, Inc.
    P.O. Box 141193
    Detroit, MI 48214
    http://www.SaveTigerStadium.org
    313-285-9922
    Jeff

I hope they raise 50,000 dollars in two days.

Given their site only has around 50,000 hits I see this as very tough to do before Friday but I'll keep the faith.

This council wants cold, hard cash in the bank, not promises on transferred funds as it filters in.

I just sent some bucks.

Has anybody talked with the HOF and Smithsonian?

With every fiber of my being, I hope this happens.

I was just talking to a friend on Sunday and he was saying that sometimes he thinks mournfully about the Stadium and says "Wow, its really gone. They pulled it down."

Its unbelievable.
    Save Navin Field-It does no good to let it be another weed filled empty lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
    I was just talking to a friend on Sunday and he was saying that sometimes he thinks mournfully about the Stadium and says "Wow, its really gone. They pulled it down."

Its unbelievable.

Actually I hear that a lot--even from people that are standing there looking at the Stadium! All they see is demolition yet have a hard time visualizing what can be done with the saved portion, I guess.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Beech Cricker View Post
    Meanwhile the continued problems with the financial markets cannot be helping matters.
    By "problems" you mean "global meltdown."

Since they've destroyed 75% of the place already, why didn't they sell everything off like they are doing at Shea ? Maybe not at Shea's insane prices, but they could have raised a ton of cash for preserving the rest of Navin Field.

good point, that is if whoever owns the stadium (currently) was in favor of using the revenue from memorabilia sales to put back towards the stadium. who does own the stadium now? the city?

Quote Originally Posted by Gooseamania View Post
    good point, that is if whoever owns the stadium (currently) was in favor of using the revenue from memorabilia sales to put back towards the stadium. who does own the stadium now? the city?
    The city owns the Stadium and they did at the time of the auction last fall too. The city and auction company, not any Stadium preservation group, enjoyed the fruits of the auction.

The soonest the OTSC would be able to obtain any type of "property interest" would be in March.
    Jeff

Sokolowski/OTSC-Gillette Interview

An interview by Doug Sokolowski with OTSC Board Member Gary Gillette can be found here:

http://www.preservetigerstadiu m.com/news.htm

It is currently at the top of the news items at this link. The interview is about 14 1/2 minutes long.
    Jeff

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast