Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiger Stadium Preservation

Funding Gap

Word on the street is that the OTSC is all of $3,000 short in terms of meeting today's 5 p.m. deadline. If you are able to donate, or if you have already donated and can spare a few more dollars in this difficult economic environment, please do so at:

www.savetigerstadium.org
    Jeff

OTSC Declaring Victory!

Jeff

Freep coverage

The Freep's coverage of this afternoon's good news:

http://www.freep.com/article/20081010/NEWS01/81010074
    Jeff

News Coverage

Jeff

Finally some good news. This is one of the worst weeks in history for news in the US. But to end the week with this lifts my spirits.

To the conservancy: Bless you boys!!!!

I do not understand why the Detroit Free Press and the Council are so hostile toward this project. If the group secures the fifteen million on time why should they have to build anything on the city's timetable?

This building has been sitting vacant for close to a decade, you would think they would want business but this seems intentionally designed to discourage business. Not like there is someone standing by with a check for fifty million to build something on that site or this would have been over years ago.

The writer almost seemed hostile toward these people than applaud their efforts, was the Detroit Free Press planning it for their own use or does Illitch have that many people in his pocket?

What's going to happen if they raise all this money and are not ready to build by July 1st does the city tell them too bad so they can make it the next vacant lot after countless years of their own mismanagement?

Once they raise that fifteen million all bets should be off on time tables for anyone with this group getting full and pernament control over the site.

I just do not get what seems the outright hate by a city council and newspaper that should be applauding this.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...#pluckcomments

The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy promised the Detroit Economic Growth Corp. that by Dec. 1 it would supply conceptual design plans and cost estimates, preliminary 5-year operational and construction budgets, a fund-raising proposal and an economic feasibility evaluation, among other requirements.

If the city approves, then the conservancy will pay an additional $150,000 into an escrow account on Dec. 11.

Preservationists have until March 1 to raise $15 million for the project itself and would have to begin construction by July 1 with completion of the work in 18 months.
    Last edited by IPO; 10-11-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Are there any more detailed drawings or sketches that indicate what the intended plan will look like? The conceptuals on the conservancy's website leave a bit to be desired on what the plan will actually consist of.

Thank you all for the ongoing updates.

Presser scheduled

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Rod Nelson
    October 12, 2008 313.285.9922

Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy Achieves Milestone, Schedules Press Conference

DETROIT The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy on Friday executed the critical first step to fulfill its requirements with the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation in order to preserve the most historic portion of the cherished landmark at "The Corner" of Michigan and Trumbull. The demolition phase of the project is now complete, leaving intact the original 1912 Navin Field grandstand and upper deck, which was added in 1923.

"This is an exciting time for the citizens of Detroit," said Conservancy Vice President Thom Linn. "It is a day for our supporters to celebrate and commit to redouble the effort to make this a historic preservation and redevelopment project a success. There's much more to do."

The Conservancy presented a $69,000 check to the City of Detroit, funds which provide for six months of security at the ballpark site while the preservationists finalize financing arrangements for the $15 million project. A $150,000 escrow account has been established with the law firm of Miller Canfield that will ultimately lead to the transfer of the stadium's title and the granting of a long-term lease of the playing field to the Conservancy.

Project planners expect to receive $4 million in federal appropriations and more than $6 million in state and federal historic preservation and economic stimulus tax credits. The plan calls for the restoration of the historic playing grounds for use as a first-class amateur youth baseball facility, transforming the concourse into a baseball heritage center and converting a portion of the grandstand into a banquet facility. The project is seen as key to the revitalization of Corktown, Detroit's oldest neighborhood.

Over 600 donors nationwide contributed to the cause which represents an unprecedented opportunity for historians and ballpark enthusiasts to celebrate the preservation of one of the classic American baseball cathedrals.

A press conference with the Conservancy board and principal supporter U.S. Senator Carl Levin (D-Michigan) will is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Monday, October 13th in the offices of Miller Canfield at 150 W. Jefferson in Detroit.

The Conservancy is a registered Michigan non-profit corporation and has been accorded 501(c)3 status by the Internal Revenue Service.

###
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Beech Cricker View Post
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Rod Nelson
    October 12, 2008 313.285.9922

Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy Achieves Milestone, Schedules Press Conference

DETROIT The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy on Friday executed the critical first step to fulfill its requirements with the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation in order to preserve the most historic portion of the cherished landmark at "The Corner" of Michigan and Trumbull. The demolition phase of the project is now complete, leaving intact the original 1912 Navin Field grandstand and upper deck, which was added in 1923.

"This is an exciting time for the citizens of Detroit," said Conservancy Vice President Thom Linn. "It is a day for our supporters to celebrate and commit to redouble the effort to make this a historic preservation and redevelopment project a success. There's much more to do."

The Conservancy presented a $69,000 check to the City of Detroit, funds which provide for six months of security at the ballpark site while the preservationists finalize financing arrangements for the $15 million project. A $150,000 escrow account has been established with the law firm of Miller Canfield that will ultimately lead to the transfer of the stadium's title and the granting of a long-term lease of the playing field to the Conservancy.

Project planners expect to receive $4 million in federal appropriations and more than $6 million in state and federal historic preservation and economic stimulus tax credits. The plan calls for the restoration of the historic playing grounds for use as a first-class amateur youth baseball facility, transforming the concourse into a baseball heritage center and converting a portion of the grandstand into a banquet facility. The project is seen as key to the revitalization of Corktown, Detroit's oldest neighborhood.

Over 600 donors nationwide contributed to the cause which represents an unprecedented opportunity for historians and ballpark enthusiasts to celebrate the preservation of one of the classic American baseball cathedrals.

A press conference with the Conservancy board and principal supporter U.S. Senator Carl Levin (D-Michigan) will is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Monday, October 13th in the offices of Miller Canfield at 150 W. Jefferson in Detroit.

The Conservancy is a registered Michigan non-profit corporation and has been accorded 501(c)3 status by the Internal Revenue Service.

###
    I just learned that this press conference is not open to the general public out of respect to Senator Levin and his tight schedule being that it is an election year.
    Jeff

Too bad something cannot be done on site, that's what would drive attention and increase donations.

I noticed MLB.com is finally putting some support behind what these folks are doing with updates.

Seems the city has a significant security problem now with the exposed stadium seperated only by small fencing for such an extensive area where before the stadium was entirely enclosed.

Detroit News' coverage of today's OTSC press conference

Group predicts success in saving Tiger Stadium

David Josar / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- Members of the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy said today are hopeful they will meet December and March deadlines that will enable them to preserve the ballpark as it existed in 1912.

"We will be successful," conservancy vice president Thom Linn said at a downtown Detroit press conference. "This will be a catalyst for Corktown development."

By Dec. 1, the conservancy must show it has a detailed plan that, among other things, outlines how the group will raise the rest of the funding and how it will construct the project in the Corktown neighborhood on the city's near west side.

That is also the date for them to come up with another $150,000 to go into an escrow fund for security and maintenance of the site. The group has already deposited $150,000 into the account.

The next deadline would be March 1, when the group must come up with financing plan for the project, estimated to cost about $15 million.

A portion of that money is to be $4 million in federal appropriations that have been advocated by U.S. Sen. Carl Levin, D-Michigan.

"We're not going to lose this," Levin said today.

If the federal money does not survive the budget process, organizers are not giving up hope.

"There's a lot of national interest out there," said Rick Ruffner, a conservancy member and owner of Detroit-based Avanti Press. "People will pull together."

The group has already raised $219,000 from about 600 donors.

The city has decided to tear down most of the stadium to make way for new development. City planners believe they would get more development proposals if the structure were torn down rather than to let it remain.

If the group does not get the money or the project does not past muster with the Detroit Economic Growth Corp., the entire structure will be razed.

The conservancy wants the remainder of the ball field to be used for youth sports, and the remaining structure to house a museum and possibly be used as venue for banquets and similar events.

You can reach David Josar at (313) 222-2073 or djosar@detnews.com.
    Jeff

"The Corner Video

Ben Hassenger has completed a video to accompany his song, The Corner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nVIR1mDxqs

Ben has performed at recent OTSC fundraising events.
    Jeff

I have just gotten onto this thread so excuse me if I ask anything that has already been stated. My two questions..

1. What are they doing with the land around the field?
    2. Are they going to restore the building that is still standing?

Quote Originally Posted by rwolfe09 View Post
    I have just gotten onto this thread so excuse me if I ask anything that has already been stated. My two questions..

1. What are they doing with the land around the field?
    2. Are they going to restore the building that is still standing?

Your #1...assuming you mean the lot occupied by Tiger Stadium itself, the city supposedly wants to develop the land around the field, e.g. the strip along the I-75 service drive and along Trumbull (100 feet). They have yet to issue Requests for Proposal, however.

Your #2...yes--see a somewhat dated plan at www.savetigerstadium.org
    Jeff

NotAboutEgo Guest
    I'm very happy that I was able to help with this cause by contributing a chunk of change! I'll continue to do so until the Conservancy has total ownership of the ballpark. THAT will be the REAL DAY to celebrate!!! I'm sure I'll continue to contribute in many ways after that as well.

Once the ballpark is out of the hands of the City, we can all sit back and breathe easily again!
    Last edited by NotAboutEgo; 10-15-2008 at 01:29 PM.

OTSC Plan

The revised OTSC plan for the Stadium can be found here:

http://www.savetigerstadium.org/the_plan.htm
    Jeff

OTSC Plan

Thanks for the update on Tiger Stadium! It is always nice to see different things on that site. I loved "The Corner" video as well. I wish some type of fundraiser could be done right on the field or outside at Michigan and Trumbull. If the field was open to the public, it might generate many fans down there. I was glad to be one of many that donated to saving the stadium and I also purchased the DVD "Stranded At The Corner" which I may add was excellent viewing. Keep up the great work with the latest information about Tiger Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by windsordetroittigersfan1984 View Post
    Thanks for the update on Tiger Stadium! It is always nice to see different things on that site. I loved "The Corner" video as well. I wish some type of fundraiser could be done right on the field or outside at Michigan and Trumbull. If the field was open to the public, it might generate many fans down there. I was glad to be one of many that donated to saving the stadium and I also purchased the DVD "Stranded At The Corner" which I may add was excellent viewing. Keep up the great work with the latest information about Tiger Stadium.
    Welcome, windsor fan. Glad you were able to finally access your account.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

Smile

Thank you, Captain Cold Nose! I could not understand why I was not allowed to post but it was all explained to me and I understand the reason why. I appreciate the warm welcome to the site and I look forward to posting with all of you. Enjoy your day and weekend!

Thank you, Captain Cold Nose! I could not understand why I was not allowed to post but it was all explained to me and I understand the reason why. I appreciate the warm welcome to the site and I look forward to posting with all of you. Enjoy your day and weekend!
    Welcome Ms. Windsor!
    Jeff

c. 1999 B&W Pix

Jeff

Smile Thank you!

Thanks for the welcome, Jeff. And great photos you posted from flickr. I have seen some of those photos before. Any other information regarding old Tiger Stadium you can share or is it all updated on the website? I hope everything goes well because I would hate to see the rest of the stadium come down.

Quote Originally Posted by Beech Cricker View Post
    The revised OTSC plan for the Stadium can be found here:

http://www.savetigerstadium.org/the_plan.htm
    thx for the update! looks like an improvement over the first plan!

Thanks for the welcome, Jeff. And great photos you posted from flickr. I have seen some of those photos before. Any other information regarding old Tiger Stadium you can share or is it all updated on the website? I hope everything goes well because I would hate to see the rest of the stadium come down.
    Just to clarify, I did not take those pix at Flickr--I just posted the link.

The OTSC website should be pretty much up to speed with the latest goings on.
    Jeff

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast