Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves Trivia

Braves Trivia

Looking at mikeymussina's thread has inspired me to do my own. I'll try my best to challenge you guys, though I know y'all are a bunch of smarties.

The first batter to hit four home runs in the game for the Braves franchise was a versatile player who played a lot of positions, but mostly second base. Who was he?

Bobby Lowe

Yessir! That's pretty basic.

In 1988, Cris Carpenter made his major league debut against the Braves. It was a strange game. Whitey Herzog had a bizzare sequence in the 16th inning where he put pitcher Jose DeLeon in left and switched him and Tom Brunansky in right, depending on who was batting. Utility man Jose Oquendo was even shutting out the Braves for three innings before he got touched in his fourth inning of work.

A Braves hurler, who was normally a starter, especially on Opening Day, came in to pitch in the 12th inning and pitched 8 innings of shutout ball, finally winning in the 19th. Who was he?

No peeking at Retrosheet!

Mean Retrocheat, don't ya? haaaaaaaaaaaa

Mahler probably - he played more games than started and was probably the Opening Day pitcher for that club given his senoirity.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan
    Looking at mikeymussina's thread has inspired me to do my own. I'll try my best to challenge you guys, though I know y'all are a bunch of smarties.

The first batter to hit four home runs in the game for the Braves franchise was a versatile player who played a lot of positions, but mostly second base. Who was he?

See, I inspire evryone!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Check out my Yankee blog http://questfor27.blogspot.com/

TRIBUTE TO MOOOSE (MIKE MUSSINA)
    ~~~~Thanks for all of the great memories Mike~~~~~
    You have my HOF vote and good luck in the future now that you have retired. Thanks for the wins you gave the Yanks from 2001-2008. Have an enjoyable retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by dgarza
    Mahler probably - he played more games than started and was probably the Opening Day pitcher for that club given his senoirity.
    Rick Mahler... is absolutely right. When I first saw that boxscore, I was just flabbergasted by it. I thought it was a misprint.

What Braves hurler was the first man to throw a pitch to Jackie Robinson in the Major Leagues?

*bumps with another*

How long have the Braves had their current uniform set, excluding the alternate?

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan
    *bumps with another*

How long have the Braves had their current uniform set, excluding the alternate?

You serious? ...........lol

BTW, who threw the 1st pitch to Jackie?

Eh, that was the first thing that came to mind.

It was Johnny Sain.

I'll throw out that last question, it was waaaaaaaaaay too easy.

What Brave hit the very first home run in Atlanta Stadium? Might be easy, might not.

Blog Entries
    Isn't this one Joe Torre??????????
    Check out my Yankee blog http://questfor27.blogspot.com/

TRIBUTE TO MOOOSE (MIKE MUSSINA)
    ~~~~Thanks for all of the great memories Mike~~~~~
    You have my HOF vote and good luck in the future now that you have retired. Thanks for the wins you gave the Yanks from 2001-2008. Have an enjoyable retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeymussina35
    Actually, no, it's not.

The guy was once the manager of the AA Savannah Braves and was thought of as a candidate to be the first African-American manager before Frank Robinson got that honor.

*BUMP* Lets add another one.

Andruw Jones holds the single-season club record for homers by a right-handed hitter. (51, 2005)
    Chipper Jones holds the single-season club record for homers by a switch-hitter. (45, 1999)

Who holds the single-season club record for homers by a left-handed hitter?

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post

Andruw Jones holds the single-season club record for homers by a right-handed hitter. (51, 2005)
    Chipper Jones holds the single-season club record for homers by a switch-hitter. (45, 1999)

Eddie Mathews
    "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
    -Casey Stengel

The guy was once the manager of the AA Savannah Braves and was thought of as a candidate to be the first African-American manager before Frank Robinson got that honor.
    I believe the answer is Tommy Aaron.
    "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
    -Casey Stengel

Quote Originally Posted by mikeymussina35 View Post
    I thought it was Torre as well.
    -Casey Stengel

Quote Originally Posted by cbenson5 View Post
    I thought it was Torre as well.
    I think Torre should be the correct answer. Atlanta Stadium opened up in 1966 and Tommie Aaron's first game in Atlanta was 1968.

It is Torre. I researched it for the blurb below from my book Big League Trivia.....

Joe Torre hit two home runs, including the first home run, during the first game at Atlanta’s Fulton County Stadium on April 12, 1966. Torre connected against Pittsburgh’s Bob Veale in the fifth and against Don Schwall in the bottom of the 13th, but it was not enough to overcome Willie Stargell’s two-run homer in the top of the inning and the Pirates won 3-2. Braves’ hurler Tony Cloninger pitched all 13 innings and was the loser despite giving up just ten hits and striking out 13 Pirates. More than 30 years later as the manager of New York Yankees, Torre led the Yanks to wins against the Braves in Games 3, 4, and 5 of the 1996 World Series – the last three games played in the park.
    Author of Big League Trivia - Facts, Figures, Oddities and Coincidences from our National Pastime.
    www.big-league-trivia.blogspot.com

I mean the VERY first home run, including exhibition games. I know the first person to hit one in a regular season game was Joe Torre.

I believe the answer is Tommy Aaron.
    Yeah. It's Tommie Aaron. I believe he did it in an exhibition game in 1965.

I'm utterly convinced of it, even though I can find no proof. It's so weird.

Eddie Mathews
    Noooooope. I said club, not franchise.

Try again.

Noooooope. I said club, not franchise.

Try again.
    Ok, David Justice?
    Last edited by cbenson5; 04-27-2007 at 11:14 AM.
    -Casey Stengel

Ok, David Justice?
    *Alex Trebek* Ooooooo, almost. One homer off.

Darrell Evans
    Hot ziggity dog and sassafras tea! - Loel Passe

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast