Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Franchise Draft

Chicago - The town that the World Series forgot
    Count me in.
    "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
    - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
    - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

If we can choose even the flukiest of seasons from a player, shouldn't strike years be eligible? If they're eligible as long as they meet the requirements (using 120 GP as a minimum) all position players from 81 and 94 are ineligible. If you made it a 70% or 80% of team games played rule, then they would, but as it stands, only pitchers from those years would be eligible. Perhaps we should modify that rule? Thoughts?

I have nothing against using strike years. I just chose a number of games played that sounded about right. It doesn't seem fair to only allow pitchers from then - how many games would work? How about 110 games?

Oh, and how about only 85 games for catchers?
    Last edited by Wade8813; 03-14-2007 at 01:29 PM.
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

I'd like to do this.

after further consideration, washizzle will have to decline this draft, due to other commitments that would detract from the excitement of baseball.
    I don't have the voice to be an announcer, the writing skills to be a writer, or the connections to be an agent. Guess I'll just have to give up that dream of being involved in baseball. Or buy a team. Yea, that should work.

Just want to make sure I have this right.

We are going to first draft the teams we are to use for this project using a snake draft format with 2 rounds so everyone has 2 teams to choose players from correct?

Then we are going to draft players from those teams with any player's season being eligible as long as they spent all or part of the season with that team? Player can only be chosen once per team though. So someone having the Yankees couldn't have 6 Babe Ruth's? Exception example being someone having the Reds/Mariners could have 2 Ken Griffey's. One from a Mariners season and one from a Reds season correct?

25 total rounds with no more than 20 players chosen from one team correct?

Did we settle on strike shortened seasons being used and minimal number of games/IP?
    "A ballplayer has to just go out and be mean. You can't play half-heartedly. If you do, there's someone right over your shoulder that'll take your job away. If you don't do your job, what they're paying you for, why should they pay you? You just can't put in eight hours, that's what a lot of people don't realize about athletes. Very few people realize the pressure." Dave Kingman

--I'll play if there are still spots open.

Blog Entries
    We now have fourteen. IMO, we should just start now, and exclude the two undrafted teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Bedard
    We now have fourteen. IMO, we should just start now, and exclude the two undrafted teams.
    I'd rather wait untill the proposed time to start. Maybe there are others out there that wish to play. let's give them some more time.
    Here's to baseball... The best sport made.

"There are two theories on hitting a knuckleball. Unfortunately, neither of them works." ― Charlie Lau

I'll play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye
    Then we are going to draft players from those teams with any player's season being eligible as long as they spent all or part of the season with that team?
    I don't think we "draft" from our teams; there's no point...no one can take players from other teams, you have exclusive right to all player-seasons on your teams.
    "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." --Sandy Koufax

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel
    I don't think we "draft" from our teams; there's no point...no one can take players from other teams, you have exclusive right to all player-seasons on your teams.
    Good point. So we put together a team for a simulated season and/or to be voted on?
    "A ballplayer has to just go out and be mean. You can't play half-heartedly. If you do, there's someone right over your shoulder that'll take your job away. If you don't do your job, what they're paying you for, why should they pay you? You just can't put in eight hours, that's what a lot of people don't realize about athletes. Very few people realize the pressure." Dave Kingman

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye
    Good point. So we put together a team for a simulated season and/or to be voted on?
    I think so.
    "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." --Sandy Koufax

Blog Entries
    Seems stupid to allow any more people to join now. We've got 15, enough for each people to have two franchises, and whoever gets the Yankees will also get a very poor franchise.

Since we have our 15, how about we go ahead and start?

We have 15, so I'll close the registration. I'll randomly determine the draft order, and post it here. If it's your pick, you can pick now, but I won't hold it against you if you aren't ready till tomorrow, since that's the stated start time. I will PM everyone, just as an FYI.

1. Leecemark -
    2. Windy City Fan -
    3. Wade8813 -
    4. Sockeye -
    5. Minstrel -
    6. DudeCar00 -
    7. Westlake -
    8. Plask_Stirlac -
    9. Kyle -
    10. Ronnie5 -
    11. 538280 -
    12. DisgruntaledMarinerFan -
    13. SamtheBravesFan -
    14. Erik Bedard -
    15. TheKingofKings -

Blog Entries
    When my team beats yours, you'll realize the benefits of having a late pick.

Oh, I know the benefits of a late pick. I also know the advantages of an early pick. I also know that a random number generator is just that - random.

If a player played on more than one team in a year, you can use him if he was with your team for at least 40 games.
    Last edited by Wade8813; 03-15-2007 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813
    If a player played on more than one team in a year, you can use him if he played on your team for at least 40 games.
    Do you get his rate stats for his games on your team, or his stats for the full season?

Full season.

I'm not sure I like the 5 players from each team rule. I purpose that rule is removed. Either that or at least lowered to 1 player from each team if you want it so that each team is at least represented. I think it should be up the the owners descretion as to how many they want to choose from each team. If a owner chooses to use 25 players from 1 team they are essentially playing one franchise against two. Which in itself is a disadvantage. But if should be left up to that owner to decide.

Blog Entries
    I agree, now that it's just post-1961, only one per team is necessary. But both franchises should be represented.

Yeah, that makes sense. I'll say you only need one from the other team - and he can even be on your bench.

I've updated the first page to list the rules.
    Last edited by Wade8813; 03-15-2007 at 04:16 PM.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast