Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Franchise Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813
    I dunno - some teams have plenty of pitching, some have very little. Most have a great one and a few good ones. Almost none of the teams have good players at almost every position.
    Which is why I figure with the teams I want, I can find enough good pitchers.
    48 wins to match last year's total

Some interesting picks so far.... I had the Braves ranked #1 on my list and was delighted to be able to snag them with my 4th pick. 3 of the top 9 teams on my draft board are still available including the 4th best team. Of course I have no false illusions of anything close still being available at the 27th pick. If I can land a team ranked in the 21-25 range on my board I'll be extremely pleased with the results.
    My dream ballpark dimensions
    LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
    RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
    Location....San Diego

I dunno - some teams have plenty of pitching, some have very little. Most have a great one and a few good ones. Almost none of the teams have good players at almost every position.
    Reds have everything at every position 'cept pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by -Kyle-
    Well the thing I noticed is...Pitching>>>>>>Batting (realizing this once I took the reds, doh)...I can find some 150 OPS+ guys anywhere, but exceptional pitchers are scarce. The only "unique" thing about the Reds is that 1976 Joe Morgan is the best 2nd Basemen in this sim.
    Yeah, Morgan/Larkin is going to be a sweet keystone combination.
    "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." --Sandy Koufax

Some interesting picks so far.... I had the Braves ranked #1 on my list and was delighted to be able to snag them with my 4th pick. 3 of the top 9 teams on my draft board are still available including the 4th best team. Of course I have no false illusions of anything close still being available at the 27th pick. If I can land a team ranked in the 21-25 range on my board I'll be extremely pleased with the results.
    I had the Braves #2 on my list - but I had the Giants at #1. Very good pitchers 1-5, decent bullpen, decent at every position, not to mention Mays and Bonds.

I did a crapshoot basically...no research. I did so much stuff for the all time one I just winged this one. Big Red Machine was too good too pass up. Sox were #1, then Giants. Orioles were a great pick too.

I hate to SPAM (sort of) but while we're waiting for the drafts to wrap up, I've started a pretty cool league, using RBI baseball. You can play it right from your PC: http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=58834

I'm pretty sure it can work on anyone who has a fast internet connection PC. Although I need someone here to test it with me.

I had the Athletics as a top-four franchise, considering a rich talent base in the 70s, 80s and 00s. Especially if we can use best seasons. Check out, for example, Vida Blue's best season.
    "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." --Sandy Koufax

I had them at about number 5. IIRC, a lot of their players played the same positions, which hurts. But they are certainly still a good pick.

I'll take the Seattle Mariners.
    Here's to baseball... The best sport made.

"There are two theories on hitting a knuckleball. Unfortunately, neither of them works." ― Charlie Lau

Blog Entries
    It's been eight hours. I'll take the Toronto Blue Jays.

I'll take the Chicago Cubs.

48 wins to match last year's total

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan
    I'll take the Chicago Cubs.

Already taken I think...

Edit: No they weren't, crap

With my first pick, I'll select the Philadelphia Phillies.

With my second pick, I select the California/Anaheim Angels Franchise.

Blog Entries
    I actually had the Braves at #1. I had the Jays at #7 (Clemens, Molitor, Stieb, Alomar), so I was thrilled to get them at #14. Pick in a sec.... just need to double-check some things.

Blog Entries
    If a player played for two different teams, he could be picked for both teams, right? Even if one person controls both teams?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Bedard
    If a player played for two different teams, he could be picked for both teams, right? Even if one person controls both teams?
    Yes (too short).

I had the Jays at #7 (Clemens, Molitor, Stieb, Alomar), so I was thrilled to get them at #14.
    They're definitely a good team, but #7? Seems a bit high, to me...

They're definitely a good team, but #7? Seems a bit high, to me...
    Same...I had them going like 10-12

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast