View Poll Results: Does Tommy Bond Belong in the HOF?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 38.89%
  • No

6 33.33%
  • It's irrelevant because he'll never get consideration, he retired 120+ years ago

5 27.78%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tommy Bond

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackaroo Dave View Post
    Thanks for reviving this, not only for the discussion on Tommy Bond, but for the more general ones towards the end about early bb history. I wish the 19th century forum were still thriving. I hope some of the posters on this thread who are still around will give it some more momentum. I should go look through the 19th century archives, but a live thread is a better teacher. It's fascinating, especially to see baseball materialize out of the primordial mists.
    Thank you for reviving this thread.

http://stevegallanter.wordpress.com

My go-to guy for Irish-Americans in early baseball is Dr. Jerry Casway. He is a history professor at Howard Community College in Maryland. He wrote a biography of Ed Delahanty: "Ed Delahanty in the Emerald Age of Baseball". I don't feel comfortable putting his email address in a public forum, but I have given you ample information to track him down, if you are interested. If you do, tell him I am still waiting to hear when he wants to do lunch.

Richard Hershberger

I have that book. It's a very workmanlike work. Thorough, detailed, clearly-written, thoughtful. I hope he does more.

David Fleitz's other book is Shoeless: The Life and Times of Joe Jackson. Has anyone here read it? I haven't. Perhaps I will.
    Found in a fortune cookie On Thursday, August 18th, 2005: "Hard words break no bones, Kind words butter no parsnips."

1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988

I'm also pretty interested in Bond based on how well he does with the Hall of Stats. Many 19th century pitchers have bloated Hall Ratings, though. I wrote about it here:

Here's what I specifically wrote about Bond: http://www.hallofstats.com/articles/...-pitchers-wwar

While Rusie is the first player on the list who is not a slam dunk, Tommy Bond is the first who is not in the Hall of Fame. Bond won 234 games with a .589 percentage. In fact, he is one of only two pitchers with three consecutive 40-win seasons (Al Spalding had four). Bond is also one of only two pitchers with five 10-WAR seasons (Walter Johnson had six).

So, what’s wrong with Bond? He was worth 60.8 WAR as a pitcher, but he was essentially through by age 23. After the mound was moved back to 50 feet (from 45) in 1881, Bond pitched in only 33 games, winning 13 with an ERA+ of 84. He was gone long before the mound would move back to 60 feet, 6 inches.

Bond had five amazing seasons when baseball was in its infancy. Are five incredible seasons—and nothing else—enough to get you in?
    The Hall of Stats: An alternate Hall of Fame populated by a mathematical formula.

Tommie Bond had a mastery of breaking balls or in-curves and out-shoots, mixed with perhaps the most feared fast ball of the 1870's. He played 8 seasons in the majors. He also played two seasons in the National Association that some people think was a major league, which if accepted makes him a ten-year major league player. He also played for Memphis in the Southern League and Brockton of the New England League. He also Umpired in 1875, 1883, 1884, and 1885.

Grerat stuff by Hershburger. Does he still post here. I love baseball historical prose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12