0.00%
    Other (Specify)
    8.16%

The poll is expired.

AL East Champions: 1981 1982
    AL Pennant: 1982
    NL Central Champions: 2011
    NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham
  • -Kyle-
    • Jul 2006

Whether he be the best Cubbie or not, Bank is the face of the Franchise.

Comment

• Windy City Fan
      Bitter Optimist
      • Aug 2003

Ernie is a slam dunk here. The guy is named Mr. Cub for crying out loud!

Seriously, he's a career Cub who is still closely identified with the team today. His cheerful, optimistic demeanor makes him a perfect ambassador for Cubdom.

If I had to pick a runner up, it would be a guy you didn't list. Ron Santo. He's basically a career Cub (one partial season on the southside) with a great career. And he bleeds Cub blue, and like Banks is still closely associated with the team in a very visible manner.
      "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
      - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
      - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

Comment

• Westlake
        • Jan 2007

When I think of the Chicago Cubs, I think of Ryne Sandberg, so I voted for him.
        Originally posted by Domenic
        The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

• vtbub
          • Jan 2007

Let's play two.

Comment

• 2Chance
            Lollygagger
            • Jan 2000

How can it be anybody but....?
            Attached Files
            "Someone asked me if I took steroids. I said, 'No. I had a contract with Wheaties.'"
            --Bob Feller

Comment

• hellborn
              Lummox in LF
              • Aug 2005

I liked Billy Williams better when I was a kid, but Banks = Cubs.
              I'd probably pick Charlie Grimm for #2.
              "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

• Minstrel
                • Dec 2006

I also picture Banks when I think of the Cubs, despite not having been around to see him play. That's how ingrained Banks has become to the Cubs' image.

Originally posted by Windy City Fan
                Answer: Jerry Reinsdorf, Micheal McCaskey, Bill Wirtz, and the Tribune Company.

Question: Who are the worst collection of sports owners ever to be in the same city?
                Hasn't Reinsdorf produced 7 championships for Chicago (Bulls six times and White Sox once)? That's a pretty nice bumper crop.

Sorry for the OT.
                "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." --Sandy Koufax

Comment

• Windy City Fan
                  Bitter Optimist
                  • Aug 2003

Hehe, haven't updated that in a while, but I'm still no Reinsdorf fan. He let Jordan, Pippen, and Jackson walk away because he thought Jerry Krause was more valuable. That worked out well. h

And the Sox won because Kenny Williams is a fine GM, who managed to put together a winner even though Reinsdorf wouldn't and still won't open up his considerable wallet to let the Sox payroll go to the levels of other major market teams. And I still remember the White Flag trade, a cowardly "financially responsible" move that gutted a team in the middle of a playoff run.
                  - Sammy Sosa

Comment

• Minstrel
                    • Dec 2006

Hehe, haven't updated that in a while, but I'm still no Reinsdorf fan. He let Jordan, Pippen, and Jackson walk away because he thought Jerry Krause was more valuable. That worked out well. h

And the Sox won because Kenny Williams is a fine GM, who managed to put together a winner even though Reinsdorf wouldn't and still won't open up his considerable wallet to let the Sox payroll go to the levels of other major market teams. And I still remember the White Flag trade, a cowardly "financially responsible" move that gutted a team in the middle of a playoff run.
                    Well, it's always the GMs and players who accomplish the feats, but Reinsdorf deserves credit for paying Jordan/Pippen/Rodman so much ($40 million a season just for Jordan those last three years!), installing Phil Jackson and also in installing Kenny Williams, who was no slam-dunk GM choice.

Anyway, I shouldn't turn this into an extended debate on a baseball forum. I've just always been surprised how little credit Reinsdorf gets for the remarkable success he's had compared to most owners.
                    "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." --Sandy Koufax

Comment

• CTaka
                      • Oct 2005

I'd say that Brown was a better player than Banks, even though I don't like to compare pitchers and position players. But when I think face of the Cubs, I think of Mr. Cub even if he wasn't the greatest player in Cubs history.

Comment

• Windy City Fan
                        Bitter Optimist
                        • Aug 2003

I just have to reply to this, then I'll leave it be.

Krause was simply the luckiest GM in the history of the planet. He came in when Jordan was already there. In his entire career, Krause made 3 good draft picks - Scottie Pippen, Horace Grant, and Elton Brand. And he traded Brand for a draft pick that became Tyson Chandler!!!!!!!! Pippen and Grant were both relatively obscure picks that panned out, and even they I think benefited greatly from spending most of their careers with Jordan. Krause loved making obscure picks, but these were the only two to ever pan out for him. Krause's other big move was getting Rodman for a ziplock bag full of belly button lint, otherwise known as Will Perdue. Krause was just lucky that Rodman was crazy enough to scare every other team off and make the Spurs desperate to dump him for anything at the precise moment Jordan comes out of retirement and the team just needs a power forward to compete.

The Bulls were never a deep team, just look at all the Bulls players that signed big contracts to play elsewhere when the team was broken up. They all flopped. Pippen, Kerr, Longley, Buchler, Rodman ...

When the choice is the greatest player in the league (and in history if you ask me) or a half assed GM, it ain't much of a choice in my mind. You stick with MJ and tell Krause not to let the door hit him in his ample backside on the way out. But Jerry had other ideas and those have worked out so well for us .....

Kenny Williams was a good pick for GM. I'll give him credit for that, but he's also tying Williams' hands by being a cheapskate and not opening up the wallet. The Sox have a legitimate championship caliber team, and their making at best lateral moves to save money. They've pretty much written off signing Burhele and Crede next offseason, so I wouldn't be shocked to see a second White Flag trade this year. After all, its more financially responsible to trade your star players for cheap prospects than let them walk in the offseason and get no compensation.
                        - Sammy Sosa

Comment

• ChrisLDuncan
                          I <3 Yu Darvish
                          • Sep 2006

I always think of Steve Bartman.
                          "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

• Bench 5
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ChrisLDuncan
                            I always think of Steve Bartman.

I prefer to think of Marla Collins as the face of the Cubs.
                            "Batting slumps? I never had one. When a guy hits .358, he doesn't have slumps."

Rogers Hornsby, 1961

Comment

• Minstrel
                              • Dec 2006

Pippen and Grant were both relatively obscure picks that panned out, and even they I think benefited greatly from spending most of their careers with Jordan.
                              Not at all fair, especially regarding Pippen, but I'll PM you about it so as to end this in the thread.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X