View Poll Results: Which hitting stat is more respected by fans, writers and baseball historians?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Runs Scored

1 2.94%
  • Runs Batted In

28 82.35%
  • No difference

5 14.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Runs or RBI?

Runs or RBI?

Which hitting stat do you believe is most admired by fans, writers and baseball historians:
    1. Runs Scored
    2. Runs-Batted-In
    3. Both equally valued

That is, most respected by the public (not by you personally).

Here is a list of some favorite hitters and how many times each led his league in one or the other hitting stat:
    - NAME ------ Runs / RBI
    Hank Aaron ----- 3/4
    Ty Cobb -------- 5/4
    Lou Gehrig ------ 4/5
    Ricky Henderson- 5/0
    Rogers Hornsby - 5/4
    Frank Robinson -- 3/1
    Babe Ruth ------ 8/6
    Ted Williams ---- 6/4

Career Totals-- Runs/RBI
    Hank Aaron --- 2174 /2297
    Ty Cobb ------ 2246 /1938
    Lou Gehrig ---- 1888 /1995
    Ricky Henderson 2295 /1115
    Rogers Hornsby 1579 /1584
    Frank Robinson- 1829 /1812
    Babe Ruth ----- 2174 /2213
    Ted Williams --- 1798 /1839

It surprised me that for most of these hitters, career totals are about the same for both hitting departments. But back to the original question:
    WHICH OF THESE HITTING DEPARTMENTS IS MOST RESPECTED BY THE BASEBALL PUBLIC?
    Last edited by Appling; 03-22-2007 at 08:38 AM.
    Luke

RBI seem to get more attention from the fans and media. But runs scored ranks higher with me.
    Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
    Astros Daily

I'll go with RBI as well, since it is a part of the batter's triple crown.
    "Does this message discuss our national pastime in an interesting manner?"
    -BBF Policy, Section VII

RBI's is a above and away the favorite of those groups. It's not better than runs, but it is their favorite.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

I think RBI's (along w/HRs) have a higher regard by fans/public. Runs scored are not a sexy stat.

I don't know that this is even close! RBI without question.

Now if there was a poll between HRs and RBIs, the voting may be a little different.

i pay more attention to runs scored, but most go with rbi.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

RBI's is the stat that seems to get most attention rather than runs scored, in my opinion. Its the stat i tend to look at more anyway
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Red Sox, you are the only only only!
    [/SIZE]

The question was "how do others perceive the two stats?" -- and RBI seems to be the clear leader. I suspect it was different in the early days -- before homeruns became commonplace, BA and baserunning were important because they scored runs. Even Ruth was probably more proud of his runs-scored numbers (like 177 in 1921) but the public's admiration of the RBI moved up sharply by 1927 -- and certainly by 1930.

Actually, I think they should be valued about the same.
    Last edited by Appling; 03-23-2007 at 07:35 AM.
    Luke

Runs scored by me. There is more ways to score a run then get a RBI. Hard to win a game without runs.

And yes I know, most writers and fans give more respect to a 100 rbi player then the table setters that score 100 runs.

The team needs the runs scored of course, but RBI ranks higher as an individual stat because many of the runs scored leaders get driven in by another player. I hitter is on first with no outs. Sometimes the next hitter drives him in, sometimes the third or fourth hitter after the one on base gets him home. So the one who drives in the runs gets more acclaim than the one who scores, and rightfully so because the runner can't do much except wait for the another batter to get him home. Yes, dead-ball was different because of the SBs, but the CS per cents were higher also, so IMHO that's a wash.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sweater
    Runs scored by me. There is more ways to score a run then get a RBI. Hard to win a game without runs.

And yes I know, most writers and fans give more respect to a 100 rbi player then the table setters that score 100 runs
    OK, if you know this, why didn't you answer the poll with that response since that was the question asked?
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

I chose that both stats are equally valued to me.
    Last Player to hit for the Cycle: Alex Rios, Texas Rangers (September 23, 2013)

Last Pitcher to throw a Regular Season No-Hitter: Tim Lincecum, San Francisco Giants 4-0 (June 25, 2014)

Last Pitcher to throw a Postseason No-Hitter: Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies 4-0 (October 6, 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Westlake
    OK, if you know this, why didn't you answer the poll with that response since that was the question asked?

Why does this brother you? I think the run scored is more important then how it is scored. IMO, the poll should read "which do you respect more."

I put my last statement on my post to keep from being ragged on my opinion but see that it didn't work. What did you want? A shutout in a poll?

IMO, the poll should read "which do you respect more."
    But it doesn't. The poll asks which is more respected generally, by everyone. Not just yourself. From the first post:
    That is, most respected by the public (not by you personally).
    I understand that it's how you feel. Had it been my choice, I would have voted for them being equal. But it's not.
    "Does this message discuss our national pastime in an interesting manner?"
    -BBF Policy, Section VII

Quote Originally Posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix
    But it doesn't. The poll asks which is more respected generally, by everyone. Not just yourself. From the first post:
    I understand that it's how you feel. Had it been my choice, I would have voted for them being equal. But it's not.

Which hitting stat is more respected by fans, writers and baseball historians?
    I'm a fan. This fan respects the run more then the RBI.

If you ran a poll " who is respected most by the fans, writers and baseball historians, Bonds or Ripken? I'm sure that a few fans would vote Bonds. Maybe even a few of Baseball Fevers historians and writers.

Why even post a washout poll?

161st St & River Ave (by way of Northern NJ)
    Blog Entries
    I'd say it all depends upon where you bat in the lineup. If you're having some contest comparing two players and part of your "writeup" supporting said player is that "he scored ___ runs for 6 straight seasons and came just below that in the last 2 seasons", then I'd say you're referring to a speedy guy who hits leadoff or 2nd. However, if RBI, HR are part of your posts, then I presume you're referring to someone who bats between 3rd and 5th.

For runs, if you'd manufactured that run by singling, stealing 2B, stealing 3B, then scoring on a sac fly, I'd give this more respect that someone who'd singled and the pitcher gave up 3 free passes, allowing you to score. If the player turned a double into a triple, I'd say that run which eventually scored was more "earned" than anything else.

RBI is great, but if you don't have anyone setting the table in front of you, they're all easy outs, that can be an issue. If your #9 hitter bats very poorly, your leadoff hitter isn't getting on base much, your #2 hitter isn't much better, then it's up to your #3 hitter (who's expected to do his own driving in) to be driven in by yourself.

I respect RBI, but I'd have to say that one difference between a winning team and a losing team is that the winning team has guys scoring because, in addition to having guys clogging the basepaths (the infamous "LOB" stat), someone brings 'em home. If you're such a player, I'll respect that. However, on a loser team, there may be fewer people on base.

I figure that you have to be on the right team and have the big bat.

WANTED:

Heavy duty slugger. Bring own bat, the ball will travel.
    Last edited by Mattingly; 03-22-2007 at 11:50 PM.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Depends on where you're at in the line up for me, if it's a 3/4/5 hitter probably RBIs, if it's a 1/2 runs scored.
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

deleted...
    Last edited by Westlake; 03-23-2007 at 05:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

It doesn't bother me. Im fine.

Your opinion is fine with me... but you completely ignored what question the poll was asking just so it wasn't a 'shut out'? Ok..

Not true. I saw the count after I voted and was a bit suprised that a few others didn't vote for runs scored, as most people on this board is fans and the poll asked the fans opinion. Sometimes it just isn't to wise for the sheep to follow the goat just because they're suppose to.

Still a odd poll, asking a individual to cast a majority opinion vote. Waste of time to poll the obvious. Bill is even kicking butt with Ty against Babe compared to this poll.

I believe that RBI is considered more in the public eye.

In my opinion, you definately can't have runs without RBIs. I think that it generally is easier to score a run than get an RBI. Sure, to be in with a chance of getting a run you have to get on base first, but for an RBI, you must make sure that the runner can make it in aswell as you getting decent contact.

Quite a large majority of runs scored generally end up being non contests with the real work being done by the batter to make it so easy. Of course there are some great baserunners who can make great offensive plays on the basepaths but generally, I believe, the majority of the work in manufacturing a run is done by the batter who gets them in.
    Greystones Mariners Baseball Club. The oldest baseball club in Ireland. 16 years and still going strong.

www.greystonesbaseball.org

1. OK. Next time someone asks if the sky is blue, go ahead and say no.

2. Seems as though the poster did not think the answer was obvious, if he asked for us to vote on it.

1/ OK NO, looked out the window and it is a cloudy color right now with a light show going.

2/ Appling knows his baseball.

In my opinion, you definately can't have runs without RBIs< Hanging Curve!

In my opinion, you definately can't have runs without RBIs< Hanging Curve!
    How so?

The runner on base can only get home when the batter enables him to by getting a good enough hit. I admit I neglected to include errors or stolen bases in my statement but the majority of runs result from good batting.
    Greystones Mariners Baseball Club. The oldest baseball club in Ireland. 16 years and still going strong.

www.greystonesbaseball.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast