Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Updates Anyone ?

Blog Entries

Post Updates Anyone ?

Last year, as many of you know, Griffey24-30, started a thread titled updates anyone ?

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=41532

Griffey24-30 is a serviceman in Iraq. He explained that he has a tough time over there getting scores and news about his favorite team, the Seattle Mariners. He has limited computer access. He asked if anyone could write updates of the Mariners. I took the ball and ran with it. Other guys, at times, tossed in their two (.02) cents worth, as well. The whole thing was fairly loose, with not much structure. One or two times per week I would write something about how the M"s are doing, or any topic or Idea that crossed my mind. I had a great time with it. It's fun and it fits in with my busy schedule, not having to put pen to paper everyday. Anyway, the 2007 season quickly approaches and I've decided to give it a go again. Feel free to jump in if you have some comments about what is talked about here or anything else you feel like. Griffey24-30 shoot me a line, when you get time. It's always nice to hear from you. I tip my cap to all the young men and woman over~seas in the United States Armed Forces.

I just stuck this thread at the top of the forum.

This concept was great last season, so I think it's a good thing to have.

Blog Entries

Talking Break Camp

After a few games this week in Arizona and a couple in Las Vegas, ((Lost Wages) the Mariners will head North to the cold and rain of Seattle. A month in the Arizona Heat will be a distant memory. The M's will play their home opener on April 2nd (the ten day forcast calls for showers and a 60% chance of rain, high of 54 and a low of 40) against Oakland and then hit the road for four games at the Jake, including the Indians home opener, and three games at Fenway, including Boston's home opener. Luckily, four of these seven will be day games, but it will still be cold. THe M's have been lucky the last couple of years, having had no early season rainouts back East and no injuries (knock on wood). It has to be weird playing a month in the desert heat only to then go play in cold weather. These April games are against tough foe. Cleveland and Boston figure to be in it as well as Minnesota, the Angels [3 games]Oakland {5 games] and Texas [5 games]. The only weak sister is KC. I'll be happy with a (.500) April.

I feel pretty good with this years squad. Sure there are question marks, both on offense and pitching, but the M's have some youngsters that recieved some big league experience last year. With Grover and Bavasi on the hot seat, I don't see them waiting too long to bring up a kid or two if these hired guns falter. This is the year.
    Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 03-26-2007 at 02:58 AM.

Blog Entries

Exclamation After Further Review

I thought the April Schedule was tough. May doesn't look much better. The Mariners open May with two (2) @ The Safe against the White Sox. The M's hit the road for four (4) games @ The Bronz and three (3) @ the Tigers. They come home for a ten (10) game home stand against the Yanks, Angels, and Padres. They play the Yanks seven (7) times, the Angels six (6) times in May. They finish with the Devil Rays and the Royals.

With Grover on the hot seat, he might not make it to the end of May before the hammer falls. John McLaren, the bench coach, in his second stint with the Mariners, is the perfect guy to take over. He was here during the Lou Era and the players respect him. He gets along great with the players. He keeps it loose. He builds relationships with the players. Grover seems to manage from afar.

With the recent blow ups of Weaver and Ho-Ram, I"m starting to think the M"s will be allright if they score ten (10) runs per game. The offense has the potential.

We will find out soon if Brandon Morrow, makes the club. If he does, it could be as a relief guy. All reports state that making Brandon a relief pitcher is wasting his electric stuff. He has some experience in relief, both at Cal and in the Cape Cad League.

http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/m-ba...brandon00.html

Morrow went 0-2 with a 2.77 ERA in Arizona and 0-0 with an 0.00 ERA in a half season at Inland Empire.

If he gets sent down, it will be to AA, to get some innings as a starter. Baek was sent down, but he to could be called up early, if Weaver and company faulter. Weaver had a great post season in 06, but he has a history of blowing up, as we all know.
    Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 03-29-2007 at 05:37 AM.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Mariners vs. Athletics

Today @ 3:35 p.m. at Safeco Field. Harin vs. Fernandez

Not exactly baseball weather. It's currently raining with a tempature of (34) and a wind chill of (30). The High today is forcasted as (46) with the wind blowing out of the SSW at 5-10 MPH.

A's:

1. C Jason Kendall
    2. LF Shannon Stewart
    3. CF Milton Bradley
    4. DH Mike Piazza
    5. 3B Eric Chavez
    6. 1B Nick Swisher
    7. SS Bobby Crosby
    8. RF Travis Buck
    9. 2B Mark Ellis

vs M's:

1. CF Ichiro Suzuki
    2. 3B Adrian Beltre
    3. DH Jose Vidro
    4. LF Raul Ibanez
    5. 1B Richie Sexson
    6. RF Jose Guillen
    7. C Kenji Johjima
    8. 2B Jose Lopez
    9. SS Yuniesky Betancourt
    Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 04-02-2007 at 02:26 AM. Reason: no one bit on the April Fool's Joke

Blog Entries

Opening Day Roster Moves

In a trade with the Giants, the M's get Jason Ellison for left handed pitcher Travis Blackley. The M's trade another arm, a lefty. Ellison can play all three outfield positions.

- Rey Ordonez cut.

- Mark Lowe and Cesar Jimenez to the 60-day disabled list.

- Arthur Rhodes, Jamie Burke, Brandon Morrow, Sean White, and Jason Ellison, make the club.

- Mike Morse and Adam Jones and left-hander Jake Woods, optioned to Tacoma.

Roster:

Pitchers:

Miguel Batista
    Felix Hernandez
    Julio Mateo
    Brandon Morrow
    J.J. Putz
    Horacio Ramirez

Chris Reitsma
    Arthur Rhodes
    George Sherrill
    Jarrod Washburn
    Jeff Weaver
    Sean White rule #5

Catchers:

Jamie Burke
    Kenji Johjima

Infielders:

Adrian Beltre
    Yuniesky Betancourt
    Willie Bloomquist
    Ben Broussard
    Jose Lopez
    Richie Sexson

Outfielders:

Jason Ellison
    Jose Guillen
    Raul Ibanez
    Ichiro Suzuki

Designated Hitters:

Jose Vidro

Blog Entries

Talking Chris Snelling...

Makes the Washington Nationals as an outfielder...way to go Chris ! We're pulling for you.

Blog Entries

Smile The King Goes eight (8) innings...

and Big Ritchie Sexson hit a three run home run for some insurance. The go ahead RBI was a sac-fly by Ibanez.

Blog Entries

Angry Holy Cow !

Grover brings Morrow in the game for the ninth up four runs and the M"s live to tell about it. Don't get me wrong, I love Morrow and wish him the best, but this IMHO was not the right time to bring him in for his first appearance.

The slam dunk no brainer play was to bring Putz in again for the ninth and slam the door on those bums from the Bay Area, and go up 2-0 in this series against a team whom we only beat two times all last year. The gamble payed off. Brandon walked one, I believe and gave up a, just trying to protect single, but man Rennie's pacemaker was working overtime there for awhile. I figured if they blew this game Grover would be on the next frieght out of King Street Station.......wooooooo...wooooooooo.....!

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Stennett View Post
    Grover brings Morrow in the game for the ninth up four runs and the M"s live to tell about it. Don't get me wrong, I love Morrow and wish him the best, but this IMHO was not the right time to bring him in for his first appearance.

The slam dunk no brainer play was to bring Putz in again for the ninth and slam the door on those bums from the Bay Area, and go up 2-0 in this series against a team whom we only beat two times all last year. The gamble payed off. Brandon walked one, I believe and gave up a, just trying to protect single, but man Rennie's pacemaker was working overtime there for awhile. I figured if they blew this game Grover would be on the next frieght out of King Street Station.......wooooooo...wooooooooo.....!
    I agree we shouldn't have used Morrow (even though it did work out), but I don't agree about using Putz. He did just pitch last night, and that would be back-to-back nights in a non-save situation (for whatever that's worth to you).

I think it WAS important to win tonight (really any night, but tonight was something more). It showed that it wasn't just one good night we put together, showing the fans and the players themselves that the past is the past, and this is now.

Last season we won only 2 games against the A's, while this year, we go back-to-back on them to start the season - that's the way to do it.

Blog Entries

Cool for what it's worth

Quote Originally Posted by Edgartohof View Post
    I agree we shouldn't have used Morrow (even though it did work out), but I don't agree about using Putz. He did just pitch last night, and that would be back-to-back nights in a non-save situation (for whatever that's worth to you).

I think it WAS important to win tonight (really any night, but tonight was something more). It showed that it wasn't just one good night we put together, showing the fans and the players themselves that the past is the past, and this is now.

Last season we won only 2 games against the A's, while this year, we go back-to-back on them to start the season - that's the way to do it.
    Even with a four run lead, to me, it was a save situation, just as the opener was. These are games we have to have. Against are divison foe, who stomped on us last year. A loss last night would have been ten times worse than a win. As you know, the tying run was on deck, but even before that I felt Putz was needed. Grover basically said later that Putz was not going in unless the M's needed him. Grover said there are no more restrictions on Putz now due to the limited innings he pitched this Spring.

The M"s go for the sweep today and then it's off to Cleveland (brrrrr cold: am snow showers, high of 33 low of 25 for 4/6). Batista vs. Harden today
    Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 05-21-2007 at 07:47 PM. Reason: putz

Batista vs. Harden today[/I]
    I'm going to try to make it to today's game as well - should be a good one!

Blog Entries

Post Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow,

I was listening to the M's game on KOMO Radio - what a hoot ! I turn it on and the M's are down 4-0 to the Indians (byrd is tossin' a no-no at the guys for 4.2 innings) @ the Jake and the snow starts coming down with one out to go to make this one offical. Hargrove runs out and starts jawin' with the boys in blue and in particular, Cleveland Manager, Eric Wedge and Grover keeps it going until the snow is dumpin' heavy and they finally delay this game. What a way to break up the no hitter ! This game is done.

A visit to www.weather.com shows a forecast of the following for Cleveland tonight:

local heavy snow squalls and snow showers, chance of snow 60% tonight, acumulations of 2-4 inches. Same forecast for tomorrow.
    Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 04-14-2007 at 07:36 AM.

Blog Entries

Talking Snow Happens

The Mariners got lucky on Friday, with the postponed snow game, having trailed 4-0. They're unlucky by postponed games on Saturday, Sunday, and a good posibility for Monday:

http://www.weather.com/weather/local...m=recentsearch

The thing about lake effect snow is in the prediction of it. Lake Erie has thawed and the warmer moisture from the lake gets sucked up by the colder air above and therefore snow happens.

It looks as though they will have to make up four games vs Cleveland. Monday, they may have a window to get one game in and maybe two, with snow increasing in the afternoon. At best case, they will have to make up two games. Having no more stops in Cleveland this year and only one more series vs Cleveland in Seattle September 25th, 26th, and 27th, dates that they can make them up is limited. They have a travel day on September 24th where they travel home from LA Angels for the above mention games with Cleveland at the Safe. Cleveland also has 9/24th off. They have a travel day August 30th, but Cleveland has a game that day.

The Mariner offense was not exactly running on all cylinders to start the season and this three days without doing anything, including practice, has got to hurt. No player likes this. The Weather in Boston is a little warmer. I look forward to Wednesday, when we get to see Daisuke Matsuzaka.
    Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 04-09-2007 at 02:36 AM.

Blog Entries

Question Now What

Luckily, four of these seven will be day games, but it will still be cold. THe M's have been lucky the last couple of years, having had no early season rainouts back East and no injuries (knock on wood).
    Knocking on wood didn't work. I knew i should have kept shut on the M's luck in early games back East. It could have been worst. Cleveland lost their Catcher, Victor Martinez with a (strained quadriceps).

With the highs in Boston the next few days at the mid 40's, it will be down right warm. Having played one game in the snow and frolicked in it the past couple of days, the Boston weather will be a piece of cake. Weaver vs C.C. Sabathia and Fernandez vs Fausto Carmona or Westbrook. The Indians and Mariners are both looking up in their divisons. Minnesota and the LA Angels are off to good starts. A split today would be great.
    Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 04-09-2007 at 07:32 AM.

Blog Entries

Post This just in...

Monday's games postponed:

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/gamece...070409_SEA@CLE

cya in beantown...

Blog Entries

Felix Hernandez vs Daisuke Matsuzaka

and Ichiro vs Daisuke Matsuzaka.

Fox Sports NW @ 4:00 pdt

M's activate Jake Woods; Rhodes put on the DL, retro to opening day.

Cleveland finally won their home opener, even though it was @ Milwaukee...

Hernandez and Washburn and three days of Heartburn...
    Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 04-11-2007 at 06:16 AM. Reason: added stuff

Blog Entries

Smile Hernandez throws a gem

Blog Entries

Exclamation Friday The 13th

The M's finish their seven (7) game two city road trip, with a (.500) record @ (1-1). As noted earlier, they got lucky in the snow game against Cleveland, but they have five (5) postponed games that will have to be made up. Seattle is not figured to do anything this year, but Cleveland will be in it. Seattle is half (1/2) game behind divison leading Angels, but four (4) games ahead of Oakland in the loss column, who were picked by some to do well. The Angels, who is everyone's favorite out West, lost two of three from Cleveland in Milwaukee and now head for Boston for a four game set and then a series with Oakland. Seattle has a home stand with the Rangers & Twins and then they have a big road series with divison leading Angels.

With all this crazy weather this past week, you would think the Mariners have had enough bad luck, but what arrives today but Friday The 13th. These kind of things can bring a team together. The ceiling tile year comes to mind. Everything was a road game, and the guys played good baseball. Hopefully the same holds true for this club. How long will they go with these starters who blow up before they bring the kids up ?
    Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 04-13-2007 at 07:25 AM.

Blog Entries

Talking M's in first place...

...in the AL West

Seattle 4 3 .571.......... -
    L.A. Angels 6 6 .500.....1/2
    Oakland 5 6 .455..........1
    Texas 5 6 .455............1 1/2

The M's scored four in the fourth on a couple of boots by the Ranger defense. Batista held them early and let in a couple of runs later as the M's Win ! Beltre hit a homer on a 0-2 pitch that was up by his eyes. He is one of the few guys strong enough and quick enough to do this. Pretty sweet hitting behind Ichiro. Ichiro got a hit to bust out of his mini slump. Sherrill, Reitsma, and Morrow pitched well. We need these guys to pitch well.
    Jamie Burke, who started at Catcher, knocked his first hit of the season. Padilla, the Rangers starter, tried to quick pitch the old guy, who smoked a double.
    Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 04-15-2007 at 04:56 AM. Reason: grammer

Blog Entries

Twins vs Mariners

Tuesday: Weaver (R) vs Ortiz (R)

Wednesday: The King (R) vs Silva (R)

Thursday: Washburn (L) vs Santana (L)

Blog Entries

Arrow Lob

Well the Mariners banged out (10) hits last night vs the Twins, but could only come up with (2) runs. A regular theme for this club, as it was last year, is that they don't walk much (2 last night) and they leave many guys on base (15 last night) and M's don't seem to score many runs early. If you jump out early and score some runs, it chills out your pitcher and other hitters who may be struggling, get relaxed. I'm not saying if the offense scored some runs early in last nights game, that Weaver would have pitched better, no. To his credit, he settle down and kept it close til the fifth inning, when he blew up. Even with Betancourt, Sexson, and Guillen in a cold streak, the M's are still smacking the ball around the yard, which makes you wonder, what this offense can do when all the spark plugs are firing. The Mariners could go on a stretch and just pound teams. Rousting starters early. Getting into the bullpen and wear pitchers out. Hitting is contagious. On the other end of the spectrum is like last night, when they can't score runs. Give credit to the opposing pitchers, as well.

King Felix goes tonight.
    Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 04-18-2007 at 09:02 AM. Reason: grammer; spelling

Well the Mariners banged out (10) hits last night vs the Twins, but could only come up with (2) runs. A regular theme for this club, as it was last year, is that they don't walk much (2 last night) and they leave many guys on base (15 last night) and M's don't seem to score many runs early. If you jump out early and score some runs, it chills out your pitcher and other hitters who may be struggling, get relaxed. I'm not saying if the offense scored some runs early in last nights game, that Weaver would have pitched better, no. To his credit, he settle down and kept it close til the fifth inning, when he blew up. Even with Betancourt, Sexson, and Guillen in a cold streak, the M's are still smacking the ball around the yard, which makes you wonder, what this offense can do when all the spark plugs are firing. The Mariners could go on a stretch and just pound teams. Rousting starters early. Getting into the bullpen and wear pitchers out. Hitting is contagious. On the other end of the spectrum is like last night, when they can't score runs. Give credit to the opposing pitchers, as well.

King Felix goes tonight.
    I was at the game last night. I wasn't surprised when they jumped all over Weaver in the first, it was what I expected. He really didn't have very good location throughout the whole night. They were hitting everything he had. In fact, it was surprising that they were kept scoreless in innings 2-4, but then again, everyone gets lucky sometimes (he was helped by a couple great plays by Lopez). But it eventually caught back up to him in the 5th. And Grover being as stupid as he is, kept him in there.

Not only were the Twins getting tons of hits off of Weaver, but they were hitting him hard. He gave up EIGHT doubles(!!!!!!) a triple, and a HR!!!

Oh, at least Weaver has lowered his ERA to a more respectable: 15.75 (down from 31.5), and his WHIP is down to 2.5 (down from 4.5)
    Last edited by Edgartohof; 04-18-2007 at 01:11 PM.

Blog Entries

Weaver

Quote Originally Posted by Edgartohof View Post
    I was at the game last night. I wasn't surprised when they jumped all over Weaver in the first, it was what I expected. He really didn't have very good location throughout the whole night. They were hitting everything he had. In fact, it was surprising that they were kept scoreless in innings 2-4, but then again, everyone gets lucky sometimes (he was helped by a couple great plays by Lopez). But it eventually caught back up to him in the 5th. And Grover being as stupid as he is, kept him in there.

Not only were the Twins getting tons of hits off of Weaver, but they were hitting him hard. He gave up EIGHT doubles(!!!!!!) a triple, and a HR!!!

Oh, at least Weaver has lowered his ERA to a more respectable: 15.75 (down from 31.5), and his WHIP is down to 2.5 (down from 4.5)
    Are the Mariners stuck with him (Weaver) ? I know he's got a hugh contract. Does he have a long leash ? I know it's just April, but sheesh, I've had enough of him and he's only had a couple of starts ? Did St Louis' pitching coach, Duncan, work magic on him last year ?

Blog Entries

Exclamation Nightmare On Royal Broughham Way

The Minnesota Twins swept away the Seattle Mariners last night at Safeco Field. Twenty Thousand faithful watched the Twins put on a clinic. The Twins beat the M's in every way. They put the bunt to the M's. Three batters in a row bunted; two for hits and one to move'em over. I haven't seen that since the 1990 World Series, when Sweet Lou put the bunt to the Oakland A's. Mashburn pitched great, and as usual, only recieved two runs in support to work with. After Mashburn loaded the bases, Mateo comes in and hangs a braking ball that gets hit to the left field wall on a rope and two score. After the smoke clears, the Twins score five (5) big runs. I was so disappointed, that I turned the TV off. My buddy calls later and asks if I'm watching the Mariners, as they are making a comeback ! Two nights in a row, their rallys come up short. Tonight it is Guillen looking, last night Beltre gets thrown out at the plate, trying to score from first, which was not even close. The Catcher had time to take a couple of steps up the line to greet
    Beltre.

[I]The report on Felix's injury is that it's not too serious. The MRI revealed a "flexor pronator strain," and the King could be out 10-20 days. jake Woods was sent to AAA Tacoma and Eric O'Flaherty, is called up. Eric who closed at AAA Tacoma made six (6) appearances, pitched eight (8) innings, with a (1.13) ERA and three (3) saves. Cha Seung Baek could be called up to start.
    [I]

next up: Seattle @ LA Angels, who have been pounded lately. It should be a great series, because Seattle has been stomped on the past few.

Friday: Batista (RH) vs Saunders (LH) 7:05 FSN

Saturday: Ramirez (LH) vs Colon (RH) 6:05 (11)

Sunday: Weaver (RH) vs Santana (RH) 12:35 FSN
    Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 04-20-2007 at 05:50 AM.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast