Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: 2007 Chicago Cubs Schedule/Results...

Quote Originally Posted by nathanKent View Post
    As we're losing to the Marlins for the third day in a row, I can't help but think we'd be better suited with Marshall starting and Cherry in the pen. There is no possible way he can be viewed as an upgrade.
    The way I see it, this was a reasonable calculated gamble that probably will not pay off. At the time it was made, Trachsel had done the following in his previous six starts:

-held Boston to no runs in 6 innings
    -held Seattle to 2 runs in 5.2 innings
    -held Boston to 3 runs in 6.1 innings
    -held Toronto to 3 runs in 6.2 innings
    -held Minnesota to 1 earned run in 7.1 innings
    -held Tampa to 1 run in 6 innings

It wasn't a bad move when it was made. We had 3 lefties, and 2 righties in the rotation, and Marquis was and is scary inconsistent. If Trachsel had worked out, we would have picked up a decent righty late into the season when just about every contender was looking for starting arms. The fact that we gambled and lost--well it happens. I'm not blindly defending Hendry--he's made bad moves before, but I don't count this one among them. I'd rather evaluate a move based on known information at the time of the move.
    Last edited by Scartissue; 09-27-2007 at 03:40 PM.
    To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
    There is one way, and it's the VETERAN in front of his name. Steve's been there before, Sean hasn't. I'm not saying I agree with it because I don't, I'd start a 20 year old if I thought he was better than a 35yo MLB vet who's been in the league 10yrs. But many managers and GMs don't feel that way. Many Cub fans thought the veteran favoritism was dead with Dusty but Lou is showing it here.
    Yeah, I understand the mindset. I don't agree with it. Marshall has had a few questionable outings, but has proved himself to be as solid a #5 starter as any in MLB. Trachsel has had two winning seasons since '98 (his second to last season with the Cubs the first time around). Marshall, by contrast, has a better ERA than Zambrano, Hill, Marquis, or Trachsel.

Your line about stats not lying comes to mind here.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Scartissue View Post
    The way I see it, this was a reasonable calculated gamble that probably will not pay off. At the time it was made, Trachsel had done the following in his previous six starts:

-held Boston to no runs in 6 innings
    -held Seattle to 2 runs in 5.2 innings
    -held Boston to 3 runs in 6.1 innings
    -held Toronto to 3 runs in 6.2 innings
    -held Minnesota to 1 earned run in 7.1 innings
    -held Tampa to 1 run in 6 innings

It wasn't a bad move when it was made. We had 3 lefties, and 2 righties in the rotation, and Marquis was and is scary inconsistent. If Trachsel had worked out, we would have picked up a decent righty late into the season when just about every contender was looking for starting arms. The fact that we gambled and lost--well it happens. I'm not blindly defending Hendry--he's made bad moves before, but I don't count this one among them. I'd rather evaluate a move based on known information at the time of the move.
    Sure, and Marshall obviously had not been the most consistent at that point, but he had pitched very well in July and decent through most of August. If Trachsel were a proven inning eater and the justification was that they needed someone who could consistently go deeper, I'd understand, but that's pretty much the exact opposite of what Trachsel is.

Gah, I'm trying to be positive here, but the prospect of being swept by the Marlins is painful, and the idea of anything which might force a single game where our fate is hinged to Jason Marquis is even more painful. But I haven't gone to the gym yet today, so it's probably still too early for a glass of Port, huh?

That was a beautiful job by Wood. Nothing better than a strikeout pitcher when the bases are loaded with no outs.
    To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanKent View Post
    But I haven't gone to the gym yet today, so it's probably still too early for a glass of Port, huh?
    I'm not worried yet. I'll start worrying if Brewers start beating the Padres. I expect them to split at worse, and that would mean Cubs need to only win 1. Also, instead of rooting for the Cards, I now get to root for Mad Dog (although I also have to root for Young). I hear Peavy might start Sunday if it matters.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Scartissue View Post
    I'm not worried yet. I'll start worrying if Brewers start beating the Padres. I expect them to split at worse, and that would mean Cubs need to only win 1. Also, instead of rooting for the Cards, I now get to root for Mad Dog (although I also have to root for Young). I hear Peavy might start Sunday if it matters.
    Rooting for Jake Peavy might actually be a little worse than having to root for the Cards.

Blog Entries
    Horrible at bat by Jones. Facing a pitcher with no control he buried himself and swung at three balls. The game should be tied right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    Horrible at bat by Jones. Facing a pitcher with no control he buried himself and swung at three balls. The game should be tied right now.
    nothing new there.

no team in this whole national league wants to be in the playoffs it seems.

Blog Entries
    BELIEVE

well, it looks like the magic number is down to 2. not the way to reduce it. just one god darned win against the marlins would BE NICE DARN IT!!

Now, a win or a Milwaukee loss guarantees at least a one game playoff at Wrigley.

cubs need to win tonight. bottom line. come on carlos! do it!

That wasn't one of Soriano's better throws, but it worked. I'm surprised people still run on him the way they do.

Blog Entries
    seriously, how awesome is this feeling?
    BELIEVE

great game! magic number 1

Milwaukee just hit into an inning ending double play with bases loaded!

Division Champs 2007!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RBi View Post
    seriously, how awesome is this feeling?
    effin awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by rockin500 View Post
    effin awesome!
    BTW, alfonso soriano just set a record for 6 leadoff homers in a month.

19. Awesome performance tonight! Beyond the near perfect pitching by our ace and two of our three best relievers, how about the team effort at the plate? Everyone on base at least once except Kendall (and really, who expects it from Kendall?). This is the sort of team effort that we need next month to carry us through.

F'in' awesome.

Blog Entries
    Who will the Cubs play in the NLDS?
    Check out my Yankee blog http://questfor27.blogspot.com/

TRIBUTE TO MOOOSE (MIKE MUSSINA)
    ~~~~Thanks for all of the great memories Mike~~~~~
    You have my HOF vote and good luck in the future now that you have retired. Thanks for the wins you gave the Yanks from 2001-2008. Have an enjoyable retirement.

21. Quote Originally Posted by mikeymussina35 View Post
    Who will the Cubs play in the NLDS?
    Undetermined as of yet. The rest of the NL is still up for grabs. I think Arizona is most likely.

Can we petition for this version of Harang to show up next year?

Cedeno had another good game last night. He's having a very good September. With only 70 ABs this year, he's homered 4 times, once more than Theriot. His OPS is now up .630 (he had a dismal first half in limited play), compared to Theriot's .672. Cedeno's also considered the better defender. Perhaps we'll have a lively SS debate next year, as Cedeno hits closer to what he should.

23. Quote Originally Posted by Scartissue View Post
    Cedeno had another good game last night. He's having a very good September. With only 70 ABs this year, he's homered 4 times, once more than Theriot. His OPS is now up .630 (he had a dismal first half in limited play), compared to Theriot's .672. Cedeno's also considered the better defender. Perhaps we'll have a lively SS debate next year, as Cedeno hits closer to what he should.
    Or we'll buy a new SS, keep Theriot as the more proven backup, and trade Cedeno as the younger, hotter prospect.

24. Marquis really tanked today. I really, really hope he's the one who gets traded this offseason. He's too much of a liability.

Blog Entries
    Mods, please unstick this thread.. and allow it to sink to the bottom of the ocean..
    BELIEVE

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930