Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 Chicago Cubs Schedule/Results...

Quote Originally Posted by CubsHub View Post
    no joke... did it rain there today?
    not yet, as it was in the 80's there its supposed to rain though later.

in a heavy rain, cliff floyd hit a shot that landed in the water.

edit: i just hope they didnt wait too long to make their comeback as its supposed to storm late into the night. Hopefully they can finish the game.
    Last edited by rockin500; 05-01-2007 at 06:33 PM.

If this game is called, it will be resumed before the game tomorrow since the Pirates haven't had a chance to bat in the bottom of the 7th.

and they get the win, 8-6 a day later. dempster with a 4 out save.

And they win the scheduled game today 7-1! This is the type of consistent offense we've expected! They scored 4 runs off a pitcher who had been doing good, too!

Ok, I know it's early, but Marquis has greatly exceeded my expectations. I don't have a problem proclaiming that I was wrong (although the season is still early).

I looked at his career stats, and it's not like he's a pitcher that is significantly better in the early months. There's a slight increase in ERA as the season wears on, but it's not night and day like some pitchers. Maybe Rothchild really did see something a lot of people missed. Let's hope so.

Supposedly, Marquis wouldn't listen to Duncan or Mazzone. He supposedly listens to Rothschild. Not sure why he wouldn't listen to two of the best pitching coaches in the game, but I don't care as long as he's being successful with the Cubs!

Quote Originally Posted by otis89 View Post
    Supposedly, Marquis wouldn't listen to Duncan or Mazzone. He supposedly listens to Rothschild. Not sure why he wouldn't listen to two of the best pitching coaches in the game, but I don't care as long as he's being successful with the Cubs!
    maybe because maddux told him to listen (hes friends with him)? i think part of the problem last year was the pressure of the contract situation and once he started struggling, he put even more pressure on himself. a lot of it was mental.

Quote Originally Posted by rockin500 View Post
    maybe because maddux told him to listen (hes friends with him)? i think part of the problem last year was the pressure of the contract situation and once he started struggling, he put even more pressure on himself. a lot of it was mental.
    I agree. I also think Marquis was also pissed off about not being used very much in the 2005 playoffs and was still bitter at LaRussa/Duncan during 2006.

Haven't seen that in awhile--2 big Cubs comeback in one week!

Quote Originally Posted by Scartissue View Post
    Haven't seen that in awhile--2 big Cubs comeback in one week!
    yep. granted, its against the pirates and nats, but you only play your schedule and the pitcher they were facing had only given up like two hits in his previous start.

Z man needs to stop the one bad inning syndrome. its not good!

Quote Originally Posted by rockin500 View Post
    Z man needs to stop the one bad inning syndrome. its not good!
    I hate to sound cliche but Zman needs to stop starting too amped. He's had the this problem in the past but usually has been able to work his way out of tough 1st inning jams. Personally, I don't see it as any sign of Zman's skills diminishing just that he hasn't been "as lucky" as prior years in the 1st. After he settles in though, he's typical Z, I look for him to really heat up in June. June could be a VERY HUGE month for the Cubs, as all cylinders look to be banging by then.
    What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
    Line Drive: .356
    HBP: .342
    Non-Intentional Walk: .315
    Intentional Walk: .176
    Outfield Fly: .035
    Groundball: -.101
    Bunts: -.103
    Infield Fly: -.243
    Strikeout: -.287
    It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Back to .500!

With some help from John Patterson's early exit, Levale Speigner's inability to throw strikes, and a strong wind on Austin Kearns' 3rd inning near-grand-slam, the Cubs were able to get back to .500 (14-14) in today's 5-3 victory. Rich Hill (4-1)pitched well, getting out of a few jams. Rocky Cherry was a little rocky in his 5th appearance, getting charged with 2 runs in 2/3 IP.

Ryan Theriot was 0-1 with 3 walks, a sac bunt, and 1 RBI (one of three bases loaded walks in the 3rd inning).

Derrek Lee (1-4, 1 walk today) has reached base in all 28 games this season and is leading the majors in average, Aramis Ramirez hit his 6th homerun of the season (and didn't run over Mike Quade when rounding third), and Jacque Jones continued to square up the ball, going 2-3 with 1 RBI and 1 walk.
    A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

So this is what it feels like to have a good team. I had forgotten.

Hats off to Lou Piniella for sorting out the outfield mess that he was handed by Jim Hendry! Six left fielders...no natural centerfielder...and no natural rightfielder. And it only took him about three weeks to do it!

It took great baseball instincts to shift the pieces around like he did. First he moves Soriano back to left, where he appears to be much more comfortable. Suddenly he starts hitting again...Could that be just a coincidence? And how about the shift of Jones to center? Everybody was ridiculing that suggestion...but now it's starting to look like a stroke of genius! He also looks more comfortable, his speed is better utilized, his erratic arm is not as critical, and he's producing offensively. The platoon of Floyd and Murton looks good in right. And we've got Pie available for spot starting, late inning defensive replacement, pinch running and pinch hitting.

By the way, with Cedano being sent down today, it looks like Pie will stick. I know it would be better for him to be starting everyday in the minors, and under normal circumstances I'd agree. But this Cub team needs him...he's the best defensive outfielder on the team. I don't think there's any doubt that he'll get a lot of playing time. I predict Lou will keep him on the roster.

God bless Lou Piniella!!
    Last edited by GaryL; 05-06-2007 at 07:33 AM.

That was an awesome win today! About time the Cubs won a 1-run game and a game that went to extras! Let's gain some ground on the Brew Crew!

Quote Originally Posted by otis89 View Post
    That was an awesome win today! About time the Cubs won a 1-run game and a game that went to extras! Let's gain some ground on the Brew Crew!
    definitely beautiful. and some interesting positioning of guys by the end of the game.

All my predictions about this ball club under Lou are coming true. Snippets from my April, March, and before, predictions.

"This is going to be a very good hitting club", "Marquis stuff is better then a lot of people think", "Lilly is ready to step into the #2", "Your going to love the Cotts trade", "Soriano is going to eat up Wrigley", "Lee and Ramirez are going to have career years", "Lee is swinging the bat beautifully"," Prior and Wood aren't going to make meaningful contributions", and lastly, "The Cubs are going to take the central".

None of this was great genius. It was pretty obvious the seeds to a pretty good team were there in Spring training. And there have been a few surprises in the complete dominance of Hill and the elevation of Theriot.

Anyway, congrats to Cubdom on an exciting win, and, a nice stretch of baseball. Its nice to channel change between games and see both teams post come from behind, exciting, wins.
    "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Hats off to Lou Piniella for sorting out the outfield mess that he was handed by Jim Hendry! Six left fielders...no natural centerfielder...and no natural rightfielder. And it only took him about three weeks to do it!
    I don't think anything got sorted out or fixed. Jones in center hasn't really been tested yet. Nor has the outfield for the most part been tested. Except for Alfonso in left a few times. The Cubs are scoring runs and because of that the Cubs are winning, so everything looks like it is working. Jones is still a pretty mediocre bat even with this little mini hot streak. Murton isn't hitting for power, nor is really any of the Cub outfielders.

I don't think the outfield is "solved" in a way that will produce good results for the Cubs in the long run.

Were going to see some different types moves coming out of Lou this year then we've been used to In Chicago. What Ive always liked about him is he isn't afraid to use the entire team to win a game.

He most definitely doesn't coddle pitchers either. He doesn't beat them down when they are down, I aint saying that, but he lest them know what his expectations are. And he despises walks. Most of all from his relievers. He already straighten Cotts out for his annoying habit of nibbling at the edges, which really plagued him last year on the side side.

A pitcher nibbles like that and he starts walking batters, then he starts pressing, then he gets hit, then he starts nibbling again.....Its a never ending cycle if it isn't interrupted. Demp did the same thing last year.

Lou went to the mound and told Neil "you got great stuff just trust it and throw strikes". I liked the heck out of that.
    "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never."

I didn't like the move to bat Murton for Pie. One run game being ahead, would have preferred to have Pie stay at CF.

Quote Originally Posted by Scartissue View Post
    I didn't like the move to bat Murton for Pie. One run game being ahead, would have preferred to have Pie stay at CF.
    i did. damaso is death on lefties.

Ah, gunning down the potential winning run--thing of beauty.

talk about an ugly 15th inning. if they end up losing, they only have themselves to blame here (for other missed oppurtunities). i only lasted until the top of the 10th. (5:30am comes early)

We have got to win these close games, especially extra innings games. We gave it away tonight.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast