Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: The A-Rod Chronology Project

Blog Entries
    Great 2-Out hit from Alex in the 1st inning of yesterday's game!

Anyone notice that his AVG is upto .265!?

The HR's might not be coming right now, but if he continues to hit and keep that .394 OBP they will come. I read an article from George King about ARod's Homerless streak....and apparently it's a "cause for concern". I didn't even know Alex was homerless for 50 ABs or so...and didn't know others were so concerned until I read it.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Blog Entries

NY Post's Mike Vaccaro Story Today

Good read here: A-ROD FINALLY FEELIN' FANS' LOVE

For a baseball team whose offensive explosions have seemed downright cartoonish from the start, this was one for the comic books, the Yankee bats finally treating Lester, Bard and Hideki Okajima like they were the Riddler's and the Joker's hapless henchmen.

And in the middle of all of this, in the middle of a Yankee Stadium that officially made the transition from acoustic to electric this weekend, in the midst of this murderous row of raw might, there stood Rodriguez, drinking in the adulation, hearing something he'd never quite heard from the people in the stands: love. Unadulterated, unfiltered, unabashed.

"When you hear that crowd," Teixeira would explain later, "there's nothing quite like it."

They all heard it. A-Rod just heard more of it, from citizens who've always been hesitant to hand themselves over to him completely. Theirs has been a complicated relationship, the fans and the superstar, the people who pay the freight for Alex Rodriguez to bank more money than any athlete in the history of American team sports, the star who longs for their acceptance and approval.

The people have always been seduced by the talent, and by the numbers, and by the knowledge that they were watching one of the sublime talents the game has ever known. But they've also seen the October meltdowns, the Page Six addiction, they've seen him cop to steroid use. And opt out of a contract during the final innings of somebody else's World Series.

It has been an uneasy truce. There have been boos. There have been hard words. There have been hard feelings. The people could never deny his talent. He was never reviled. But he was also never revered.

Now, suddenly, they aren't just seeing talent. They are seeing heart. And New York loves to see that, more than anything.

And they see it almost every day now, during the most turbulent and difficult season of Alex Rodriguez's life, one that began with a humiliating press conference and proceeded to a Colorado operating room and onto a pronounced batting slump and a prolonged home-run drought. He no longer is the most complete offensive player on his own team, serving as Teixeira's wing man.

Then, 42 minutes after Friday night bled into Saturday morning, A-Rod blasted a game-winning, 15th-inning home run that sent the people into hysterics before sending them scurrying for the Deegan.

And there was last night, A-Rod splattering another scoreless tie, fueling the electric jolt that used to be part of the furniture across the street and finally returned to the New Stadium thanks to a weekend in which the Yankees didn't just sweep the Sox out of town with their brooms but battered Boston over the head with them.

It was the kind of ovation that draws a player from the dugout for a curtain call, and it did. In the past, these have almost seemed like mutual obligations. Not now. Not this time. A-Rod showed the fans his heart. They showed him their love.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

I finally heard the "True Yankee" monicker that is thrown about from time to time in reference to A-Rod after he hit the HR in the 15 inning game.

I will reserve judgement until he has those kind of hits in the postseason.

I was glad to see the guy catch a break.

You can usually find me posting on the Yankee Stadium Demolition or Yankee Stadium Pre-Renovation threads, but a play that happened just a few minutes ago prompted me to come here.
    Regardless of what Alex Rodriguez has done in the past or present, I have always gone out of my way to defend him. This includes the recent charge of substance abuse, attempting to knock the ball out of a Boston players glove, yelling "HA!" at the Toronto infielder's to entice them to drop a pop-up, and the list goes on. These are instances that glow from a spotlight shinning on him due to whatever reasons needed to justify it.
    I can only cover his ass for so long before I, too, finally get frustrated to the point that I say enough is enough. This frustration has finally reached fruition when, during a play where A-Rod tried to score from second on a single up the middle, was thrown out so bad that he conceded the play.
    This is not the first time I've seen him involved in such a play, nor the second, third, fourth or fifth. Regardless of whether he was sent, or ran on his own, he refused to attempt a slide into the catcher, around the catcher, or even plowing into the catcher in an attempt to jar the ball loose, but came to a complete stop and allowed to be tagged out This is basically a rookie catcher with only 16 games played prior to this season, and three inches shorter than Alex.
    A-Rod may soon acquire a new nickname if he doesn't show some "manly" qualities soon. I'm not sure if restrictions prevent me from posting it here, but it's a slang for feline.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
    You can usually find me posting on the Yankee Stadium Demolition or Yankee Stadium Pre-Renovation threads, but a play that happened just a few minutes ago prompted me to come here.
    Regardless of what Alex Rodriguez has done in the past or present, I have always gone out of my way to defend him. This includes the recent charge of substance abuse, attempting to knock the ball out of a Boston players glove, yelling "HA!" at the Toronto infielder's to entice them to drop a pop-up, and the list goes on. These are instances that glow from a spotlight shinning on him due to whatever reasons needed to justify it.
    I can only cover his ass for so long before I, too, finally get frustrated to the point that I say enough is enough. This frustration has finally reached fruition when, during a play where A-Rod tried to score from second on a single up the middle, was thrown out so bad that he conceded the play.
    This is not the first time I've seen him involved in such a play, nor the second, third, fourth or fifth. Regardless of whether he was sent, or ran on his own, he refused to attempt a slide into the catcher, around the catcher, or even plowing into the catcher in an attempt to jar the ball loose, but came to a complete stop and allowed to be tagged out This is basically a rookie catcher with only 16 games played prior to this season, and three inches shorter than Alex.
    A-Rod may soon acquire a new nickname if he doesn't show some "manly" qualities soon. I'm not sure if restrictions prevent me from posting it here, but it's a slang for feline.

If ARod went on that play then that was Thomson that sent him. Thomson is a very very aggressive 3B Coach. Alex has just come back from an injury. Do you really have him trying to plow over a catcher? You've seen how bad this lineup is without Alex's bat....I don't want to see that again.

And Taylor is a solid 6'1 200 to Alex's 6'3 220. So Teagarden isn't exactly a Tim Lincecum. So why risk it?

Besides, the play wasn't as bad as a few weeks ago when Jorge Posada got gunned down at the plate by Pedroia for not running but jogging around 3B. Now that was frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
    This frustration has finally reached fruition when, during a play where A-Rod tried to score from second on a single up the middle, was thrown out so bad that he conceded the play.
    If you're still 30 feet from home plate when the catcher has the ball, you'll probably be safe about 1% of the time if you slide or try to plow over the catcher. There's probably a better chance that you'll get hurt.

But, yes, it would have been nice if he tried to get in a rundown.

Blog Entries
    Anyone notice that ARod has quietly has upped his Average to .287 and could possibly still knock in 100 RBI?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyStarks View Post
    Anyone notice that ARod has quietly has upped his Average to .287 and could possibly still knock in 100 RBI?
    I noticed for sure. He's finishing up strong. Hopefully that can carry over into the post-season.

Big night for A-Rod so far tonight, and the nights not over yet!

3-3 with a 2B, 1 HR, 2 BB's, 3 R, 4 RBI, and 3 SB's!!!

His 4 RBI also put him at 1699 for his career, passing BB great Cal Ripken Jr, for sole possession of 23rd place on the all-time list. This also puts him only 1 away from 1700!!!
    Last edited by Edgartohof; 09-25-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    Monster night for Alex.
    The guy has had a very good September! I hope he rides this for a strong finish and can reach the 100 RBI mark and keep a hot bat going into the playoffs.

His approach to the game this season has been tremendous.

Blog Entries
    In the words of the great Mel Allen, "How 'bout that?!"

The man needs 2 HRs and 7 RBI to push his numbers to a nice even 30HR/100RBI...and what do you think he does on his final game?! LOL

Not bad for someone who missed over a month and has been regularly getting a day off every 5 or so.

This could very well be the year that Alex shuts up talk radio and fickle fans.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyStarks View Post
    The man needs 2 HRs and 7 RBI to push his numbers to a nice even 30HR/100RBI...and what do you think he does on his final game?! LOL
    He even had the 30th HR and RBIs 97-100 in his final at-bat.

2-4 yesterday with 2 RBI in yesterdays game, the first in the ALDS vs. the Minnesota Twins!

Breaks up a long streak of not getting it done in the post season . . . hope the fans appreciated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgartohof View Post
    2-4 yesterday with 2 RBI in yesterdays game, the first in the ALDS vs. the Minnesota Twins!

Breaks up a long streak of not getting it done in the post season . . . hope the fans appreciated it.
    We do, but our Jeter had a better game.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    We do, but our Jeter had a better game.
    Ok but our ARod had a better series and the Yanks are moving on because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    Ok but our ARod had a better series and the Yanks are moving on because of it.
    Yes, but I wrote that after Game 1. A-Rod was clearly the MVP of that series.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Blog Entries
    A-Rod is now .307/.408/.570 for his career in the postseason, for an OPS of .977. Not bad for a "choker" eh?

By the way, his career OPS in the regular season is .965.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    A-Rod is now .307/.408/.570 for his career in the postseason, for an OPS of .977. Not bad for a "choker" eh?

By the way, his career OPS in the regular season is .965.
    I believe there are no players that are "clutch" or chokers. I think with a big enough sample size it all evens out.

Reggie Mr. October had an awesome 1977 WS...off the charts...but wasnt the ALCS of 1977 also in October where he hit .125. Reggie had .262 with an .839 OPS....in post season he hit .278 with an .885 OPS based upon 281 ab's. By the way Derek Jeter...Mr. November has very very similar post and regular season numbers.

Given the ops ARod was bound to seek his own level.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    I believe there are no players that are "clutch" or chokers. I think with a big enough sample size it all evens out.
    Exactly!

I guess this makes A-Rod a Win Method player now... And to think some said in this thread that the Yankees would never win a World Series with A-Rod on the team (or at best, would win in spite of him).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleX View Post
    I guess this makes A-Rod a Win Method player now... And to think some said in this thread that the Yankees would never win a World Series with A-Rod on the team (or at best, would win in spite of him).
    Yeah...I wonder who said those things?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleX View Post
    Ha ha ha!

joek and BBW must be having heart attacks.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

23. Quote Originally Posted by DoubleX View Post
    Quote of the year.

I know I shouldn't be digging this up and should letting a sleeping dog lie and not be petty, but I can't help myself. Here are some quotes I've come across while scanning through this forum (and I'm sure there are more where these came from):

8/17/07
    Quote Originally Posted by joek7 View Post
    Arod going can only help the YANKEES. Individual stats are meaningless compared to the ability to help a team reach the playoffs, win pennants and win WS rings. Arod hasn't done that much and truly does not improve a team.
    8/18/07
    Without Arod, makes qualifying for the playoffs, winning pennants and WS that much easier. That has been proven.
    8/28/07
    If Arod goes we will have the best team. If he stays, the others will have to play around him.
    11/13/07
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwolf
    Arod is a negative for whatever team he plays for.
    11/14/07
    Wins earned for the team is what determines the champions and the best. Brocius lays over Arod. I take Brocius and earn a WS ring. You take Arod earn the MVP and watch Brocius put on his WS ring. That is the difference.
    11/14/07
    Because Arod is non WIN METHOD. WIN METHOD players play for the success of the team. Arod plays for himself. Arod considers money more importatnt than winning. joek has interviewed Arod twice. Both times he found him not to be a WIN METHOD player.
    4/24/08
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwolf View Post
    There is absolutely no question Arod has a crippling effect on any team he plays on.
    5/25/08
    I however, realize the Yankees as a team will have to overcome Arods presence on the team to be able to win more WS rings.
    6/26/08
    Quote Originally Posted by joek7
    Arod is at the bottom of the barrel. Been around a long time and tends to criiple teams he plays for...

I was tlking with some Pirate higher ups last night in their suite at PNC. We were discussing ARod. They asked why so many fans boo him and don't particularly like him. My position on Arod came up in the conversation. I pointed out Arod has no value to the team on the playing field, and actually hurts the team. I pointed out Arods seasons since 98 and the win totlas for each team while he was with each team and then the difference when he left.
    They were aware of this but were shocked the difference was so vast. I pointed out Arods value was only in filling the seats and selling products, which is vast, and a great benefit to the team. I capped off thwe discussion with, would you take Arod, and all I need is on open can of flat Pittsburgh beer. I made my point, and we all had the best laugh of the night.
    7/17/08
    Simply devastating to have Arod on your team.
    8/16/08
    I stated when Arod was first signed by the YANKEES that the team may never win another WS until he is gone. It would not be impossible for the team to win a WS, but it would take a hercuelan effort by the rest of the team to carry Arod and work around him. Just got to keep grinding it out.
    8/17/08
    I DO NOT hate Arod, that is your false claim. I just knoe him for his value to a team. He has little in my opinion, which over his career has proven to be accurate.
    8/27/08 - My personal favorite:
    You must watch baseball with your head in the sand or someplace else. Arod has never helped any team he has ever been on and never will.
    12/10/08
    If only arod would stay and play in the DR. That would give the YANKEES a far better chance at winning the whole ball of wax.
    2/9/09
    Also, a sports journalist has just implored the NY Yankees to nullify ARods contract and release him. Releasing him, would guarantee the Yankees a WS championship this year.
    Last edited by DoubleX; 11-05-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    Ahhh....you know...a little piece of my heart wishes he'd be back. Just for a little bit.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930