Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 750

Thread: The A-Rod Chronology Project

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Through the Fire and Flames
    Posts
    6,733
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/04152007...el_sherman.htm

    Another A-Rod column from one of NY's brightest papers.
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

    "I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLDuncan View Post
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/04152007...el_sherman.htm

    Another A-Rod column from one of NY's brightest papers.
    I generally don't think much of any of the New York tabloids because they tend to just create and fuel pointless fires, but that was a surprisingly good article with some surprisingly good analysis.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Through the Fire and Flames
    Posts
    6,733
    I was being factitious about the post.
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

    "I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Through the Fire and Flames
    Posts
    6,733
    However, A-Rod hit the sac fly that gets some security for the Yankees.
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

    "I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

  5. Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLDuncan View Post
    However, A-Rod hit the sac fly that gets some security for the Yankees.
    And leads of the big inning of the game with a double

  6. #106
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,556
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this here, but he [A-Rod] has an 11 game hitting streak, which when added to the 5 game streak he ended the season with last year is 16 games. If he can add just 4 more games to that, it will only be the 2nd time that he's had a 20 game hitting streak. The way he is hitting right now, I think it's quite possible.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Edgartohof View Post
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this here, but he [A-Rod] has an 11 game hitting streak, which when added to the 5 game streak he ended the season with last year is 16 games. If he can add just 4 more games to that, it will only be the 2nd time that he's had a 20 game hitting streak. The way he is hitting right now, I think it's quite possible.
    Dang it you just jinxed the darn thing. When Joe DiMaggio had his 56 game hit streak going he signed a deal with the Heinz Ketchup company. Something to do with him reaching 57 games and 57 different varieties or something (reads about it in a biography recently). We all know what happened

    Just kidding. he also has an extra base hit in every gam,e this season but one

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Through the Fire and Flames
    Posts
    6,733
    A-Rod knocked in the tieing run into day..another one for "Mr. May"
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

    "I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

  9. Maybe this thread is good luck

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    PA / NJ / VA
    Posts
    903
    Ah, Luck!!!

    A-Rod is a triple crown candidate ATM. 8 HR (1st ML), 21 RBI (1st ML), and .375 BA (6th ML, 2nd AL). Also 1st in slugging (.979 ML), 1st in TB (47), 1st in XBH (13).

    All in 48 at-bats (T-61st ML)

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Long Island!
    Posts
    10,293
    So he's obviously opting out of his contract at the end of the season, and the way he's playing, Cashman might pony up the cash. Puts a damper on my idea of trading all those shiny pitching prospects to Florida for Miguel Cabrera.
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

    Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

  12. Quote Originally Posted by ElHalo View Post
    So he's obviously opting out of his contract at the end of the season, and the way he's playing, Cashman might pony up the cash. Puts a damper on my idea of trading all those shiny pitching prospects to Florida for Miguel Cabrera.
    Even if he wins the Triple Crown how much more can he get. Also, I genuinally believe he doesn;t care about the money as much as winning and will stay wuith the Yankees if he's accepted by the fans. WHich he pretty much has been. Remember when he wanted to take a pay cut to get out of Texas but the PA wouldn't let him? Maybe he`ll try and get an extension and use the opt out clause for leverage. But I don;t see him actually going to another team.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Over the Hills & Far Away
    Posts
    1,333
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHalo View Post
    Puts a damper on my idea of trading all those shiny pitching prospects to Florida for Miguel Cabrera.
    Florida likely would put a damper on those plans anyway.
    After an offseason scare with blood clots, Shelley Duncan said yesterday he feels "wonderful -- like a stallion"

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey333 View Post
    Florida likely would put a damper on those plans anyway.
    I could see it happening. The Marlins are being very frugal right now as they wait for a new stadium and as Cabrera's salaray escalates with every arbitration year closer to free agency, and being unlikely to sign him to an extension, it seems likely that they'd trade him for some prospects.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Through the Fire and Flames
    Posts
    6,733
    Ked a couple of times husled out a run...hit his 9th of the season.
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

    "I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,839
    Blog Entries
    9
    At yesterday's game...during the Game intro...ARod got a bigger applause and standing ovation than Jeter and any of the other Yanks.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't ARod on like a 12 Game hitting streak?
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

  17. #117
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    1,399
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyStarks View Post
    At yesterday's game...during the Game intro...ARod got a bigger applause and standing ovation than Jeter and any of the other Yanks.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't ARod on like a 12 Game hitting streak?
    and a 2 game homerun streak at least.

    I don't belive it is, but I hope its not 'roids because he wants the fans to like him. I've never booed him, real yankee fans don't boo their players.

    If it isn't, then woo hoo! this is great! Go A-rod! lol


    you know what it is, A-rod saw Andruw Jones and Pujols comming and A-rod knew he had to get hitting if he wanted to strike a shot at the 700 club lol.
    LETS GO YANKEES!

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyStarks View Post
    At yesterday's game...during the Game intro...ARod got a bigger applause and standing ovation than Jeter and any of the other Yanks.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't ARod on like a 12 Game hitting streak?
    13 this year and 18 going back to last year. Ever since he's been here, I've noticed at games that A-Rod tends to get one of the louder ovations, even last year. The fans want to see him succeed, they want to see something special, like what he's doing now, and are bittery disappointed when he doesn't meet those extreme expectations. Sadly, most fans probably don't realize just how special A-Rod is playing right now, they probably think "it's about time" and take it for granted. What A-Rod is doing is not normal, not even for a superstar. We're watching some truly rare baseball, and I hope it lasts as long as possible. He's also playing good defense as well.

    In response to Jordan's comment that he hopes A-Rod is not on roids, I hope so too. He lost weight in the offseason so that's a good sign that he's clean, and I think being lighter is what's making the difference. It's allowed him to speed up his bat and get better torque.

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Long Island!
    Posts
    10,293
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleX View Post
    13 this year and 18 going back to last year. Ever since he's been here, I've noticed at games that A-Rod tends to get one of the louder ovations, even last year. The fans want to see him succeed, they want to see something special, like what he's doing now, and are bittery disappointed when he doesn't meet those extreme expectations. Sadly, most fans probably don't realize just how special A-Rod is playing right now, they probably think "it's about time" and take it for granted. What A-Rod is doing is not normal, not even for a superstar. We're watching some truly rare baseball, and I hope it lasts as long as possible. He's also playing good defense as well.
    I have to say, my distaste for ARod is well known, but I was watching the game at the gym today when he hit that homerun, and I have to say I've just been in awe of him this season. As you said, this isn't even normal for a superstar; this is truly something special we're seeing here. I don't remember any Yankee being this hot since Bernie Williams in August of 2002; maybe even not since Shane Spencer in September 1998. It's really just a site to see a player this zoned in.

    On the downside, though, he's only hit two singles so far this season. Should we be concerned?
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

    Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Through the Fire and Flames
    Posts
    6,733
    If anyone was at the game did the fans give him a curtian call?
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

    "I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

  21. #121
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,556
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHalo View Post
    On the downside, though, he's only hit two singles so far this season. Should we be concerned?
    Very.

    At this rate, he'll be at 500 HR's by June 1st (which is @ Boston by the way).

    I mean, he could go 0-33 and STILL by Slugging .600

    You mentioned Bernie in '02. Well in September, his OPS was just over 1.000, well, A-Rod's SLG is almost that!!!

  22. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHalo View Post
    On the downside, though, he's only hit two singles so far this season. Should we be concerned?
    I was wondering the same thing - wondering if he's getting too locked into the homerun stroke that when he cools off, will he be able to get hits or will he be going up there looking for the bomb. Right now, I'm not too worried about it though because it doesn't seem like he's going up there to hit homeruns, it's just what's happening. He's hitting the ball in play and he's getting his doubles as well. He's just a line drive hitter, and sometimes those line drives go a lot further than others.

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    161st St & River Ave (by way of Northern NJ)
    Posts
    21,257
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHalo View Post
    I have to say, my distaste for ARod is well known, but I was watching the game at the gym today when he hit that homerun, and I have to say I've just been in awe of him this season. As you said, this isn't even normal for a superstar; this is truly something special we're seeing here. I don't remember any Yankee being this hot since Bernie Williams in August of 2002; maybe even not since Shane Spencer in September 1998. It's really just a site to see a player this zoned in.

    On the downside, though, he's only hit two singles so far this season. Should we be concerned?
    If anything, I'm hoping that he's practicing for the Boston series at Fenway this weekend. Hopefully, he can hit well during very close games as he can when the pitcher's getting smacked around.

    Right now, I'm concerned that he can certainly exploit very large problems where a pitcher is giving up runs, but when a pitcher is also zoned in, can he still cash it in?

    Alex' 2007 splits

    In 52 ABs, he's had 19 hits (.365), of which 9 were by HR, and 5 were doubles. He's had 5 singles and no triples. He also has 7 walks, which is the same number that Giambi has.

    If Alex had a low BA or OBP (.435), I would worry, but to me, he's still getting on base quite a bit. While I admire the fact that he's gotten some nice hits to allow the team to be in the game, rather than losing, if there's a time where he need a big hit, I'm hoping that the timeliness of these hits can also factor in, and he allows the Yanks to tie, take the lead or provide insurance runs.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

  24. Quote Originally Posted by JordanDL3891 View Post
    and a 2 game homerun streak at least.

    I don't belive it is, but I hope its not 'roids because he wants the fans to like him. I've never booed him, real yankee fans don't boo their players.

    If it isn't, then woo hoo! this is great! Go A-rod! lol


    you know what it is, A-rod saw Andruw Jones and Pujols comming and A-rod knew he had to get hitting if he wanted to strike a shot at the 700 club lol.
    I doubt he's on steroids. For one he lost significant weight and his struggles last year were due to him bulking up to much.

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,839
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLDuncan View Post
    If anyone was at the game did the fans give him a curtian call?
    Fans did, I was actually standing and for almost 4-5mins....but he never came out.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •