Thread: "Who's on First" Player in Right Field

Blog Entries

"Who's on First" Player in Right Field

We are all familiar with the dialog between Abbott and Costello. And we know that Who's on First, What's on Second, I Don't Know is on Third, I Don't Give a Darn is at Shortstop, Why is in Left, Because is in Center, and the battery of Tomorrow and Today. The script never tells you the player in Right Field's name.

If you had to give a name to the player in right field, that name would be ...

Follow the style of the dialog.
    Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Dog View Post
    Nobody
    That would be perfect The funny man could say nobody's in right field, and the straight man could insist he sees someone there
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Have to get in here, and say that I'm pretty sure that Costello is supposed to be the Right Fielder, and Abbott is the manager. In this version at least...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RH1lmxZzk9A

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
    Have to get in here, and say that I'm pretty sure that Costello is supposed to be the Right Fielder, and Abbott is the manager. In this version at least...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RH1lmxZzk9A
    I have a transcript of a version by Abbott and Costello that doesn't say the Right Fielders' name and doesn't mention the role of Costello.
    Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

I believe he was a new guy from Mexico, named "Roberto Que"

Quote Originally Posted by nascarfn5 View Post
    We are all familiar with the dialog between Abbott and Costello. And we know that Who's on First, What's on Second, I Don't Know is on Third, I Don't Give a Darn is at Shortstop, Why is in Left, Because is in Center, and the battery of Tomorrow and Today. The script never tells you the player in Right Field's name.

Follow the style of the dialog.
    I was the right fielder for a while, but I couldn't hit very well, so they put Me out there instead, and I became a pitcher. They really liked Me in right field, though.

Then He came up from AAA and was an All-Star for quite a few years.
    If Baseball Integrated Early - baseball integrated from the beginning - and "Brotherhood and baseball," the U.S. history companion, at http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Baseballifsandmore - IBIE updated for 2011.

"Full House Chronology" at yahoo group fullhousefreaks & fullhouse4life with help of many fans, thanks for the input

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nascarfn5 View Post
    Big Foot is playing RF.

You're in RF
    10 14 23 26 31 31 42
    1876 1880 1881 1882 1885 1886 1906 1907 1908 1910 1918
    1929 1932 1935 1938 1945
    1984 1989 1998 2003 2007 2008

Blog Entries
    I have an old VHS tape of this, with different lines from the radio version. On the back of the case, it says the names of all the players and where they play. I think it's at my grandparents' house.

Based on the radio version, though, I'd always called the RFer Naturally.

Blog Entries
    When Costello throws to first, Who has the ball naturally.

Of course, especially if Who misses the ball, the RF could get it backing up on the play, Naturally.
    If Baseball Integrated Early - baseball integrated from the beginning - and "Brotherhood and baseball," the U.S. history companion, at http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Baseballifsandmore - IBIE updated for 2011.

"Full House Chronology" at yahoo group fullhousefreaks & fullhouse4life with help of many fans, thanks for the input