View Poll Results: 3,000 MLB Hits for Ichiro?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 32.88%
  • No

49 67.12%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ichiro - 3,000 hits?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Because he not a great player by any stretch. There are so many players this generation who are much better and do much more to help their teams win games than just slapping infield singles to rack up hit numbers, while never walking and hardly ever hitting for extra bases.

It's not personal. I just don't think he's great and I don't think he's one of the 40 best players this decade.
    What's a leadoff hitters' job ? To get on base ? He does that !

Neilios Guest
    He needs 1,408 hits over 7 years - or 184 less than the previous 7 years. Especially if he plays another year or two beyond that, he has a chance.

Then again, high offensive numbers late in your career usually don't come without the help of substances.

Allegedly.

Because he not a great player by any stretch. There are so many players this generation who are much better and do much more to help their teams win games than just slapping infield singles to rack up hit numbers, while never walking and hardly ever hitting for extra bases.

It's not personal. I just don't think he's great and I don't think he's one of the 40 best players this decade.
    Ok but this view is clearly a minority view. And when you use words like "disgrace" they do come across as personal. If Ichrio were elected would it be a disgrace? Would he be the worst player in the HoF? Ichiro is probably better than 25% of the current HoFers at least. I go back and forth on Ichiro. Yes, he is overrated. but the question is does he do things that typically are considered HoF type of things? He has three things going for him, high BA and high hit totals, plus great defense. These three things are things that the typical HoF voters likes to see. I thought about it for a long time and I've come realize that Ichiro will be elected and that he will deserve it. It is the Hall of FAME, not the Hall of Win Shares, Hall or VORP, Hall of PCA (!).

Plus, he's fun to watch. He makes baseball fun. If people can't enjoy him for what he is then then I don't really know what to say to them.
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 10-02-2007 at 04:32 PM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

http://sfgiants-forum.com/forum/index.php

2,439 hits as of this writing, now in his age 38 season. Had 184 hits last year, only hit .272, but still had 721 PA. They moved him to cleanup this year, will hurts his chances at 3000 if it stays that way.

He isn't injury prone at all, and is skill quite fast (40 SB & 42 infield hits last year). However, his offensive skills seem to have really deteriorated since 2010.

He needs about 3 more seasons of 185-190 hits to get to 3,000, or 4-5 seasons with partial years in there. I don't know if he'll get there. The odds seem against him at the moment.

If Ichiro could get to 3,000 and 500 SB....after coming up at age 27..... well.....at least to me, that would be one of the greatest career achievements of anyone who debuted in the past 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by csh19792001 View Post
    2,439 hits as of this writing, now in his age 38 season. Had 184 hits last year, only hit .272, but still had 721 PA. They moved him to cleanup this year, will hurts his chances at 3000 if it stays that way.

He isn't injury prone at all, and is skill quite fast (40 SB & 42 infield hits last year). However, his offensive skills seem to have really deteriorated since 2010.

He needs about 3 more seasons of 185-190 hits to get to 3,000, or 4-5 seasons with partial years in there. I don't know if he'll get there. The odds seem against him at the moment.

If Ichiro could get to 3,000 and 500 SB....after coming up at age 27..... well.....at least to me, that would be one of the greatest career achievements of anyone who debuted in the past 50 years.
    Third, actually. He has hit in the 3-hole in each game this year.

He is also leading the league in hits at this early juncture.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010 and 2012

Fire Bam Bam! Hire The Thrill!!

Ah, yes, I see the old saw that says Ichiro is selfish because he focuses on padding his hit totals.

It's a bit of a long shot for him to reach 3,000 hits (561 to go at the moment, which makes he'll have to do it through his Age 40 season), but if anyone can do it, it's him. Ichiro is a master of executing what he is capable of doing.

I think Ichiro will get his 3000 hits. I see him hanging on long enough to get there. He might be 43 hitting .250 with no power, but I see him getting his 3000 hits.

And 3000 or not, Ichiro has already earned his trip to the Hall of Fame. He opened his career in MLB with 10 straight 200 hit seasons, a record that my never be broken. He also has the single season hits record. Those records contribute to his fame in a big way. Granted, those numbers alone don't mean that he was a very good player. Had he simply gotten 200 hits for 9 seasons and 262 for the 10th season with the same number of at-bats, then he would have hit .304 with no power. However, he actually hit .331 during his first 10 years while swiping an average of 38 bases and playing killer defense. I.e, Ichiro is the first player from Japan that has put up Hall of Fame numbers. So in that way, he has broken another color barrier. Nicely done, Ichiro!

I think Ichiro will get to 3,000 with no doubt in my mind. I wouldn't be surprised to see him be productive thru age 43-44. He takes good care of himself and plays determined. He also seems like the type that would retire if he wasn't playing up to his standards like DiMaggio. I'd like to see him get there.
    "I go all out, and I'm going to bring that to the table everyday. In good times and in bad times." - Eric Byrnes
    "As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves." - Ken Griffey Jr.

When Ichiro reaches 3000MLB hits, he will have 4278 total hits, including his 1278 in the Japanese League. More than Pete Rose and Ty Cobb.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Quote Originally Posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post

Mea culpa. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    When Ichiro reaches 3000MLB hits, he will have 4278 total hits, including his 1278 in the Japanese League. More than Pete Rose and Ty Cobb.
    If only Ichiro would have played in the majors at age 20 or 21 what could have been.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    If only Ichiro would have played in the majors at age 20 or 21 what could have been.
    If he'd started his Major League career at 20 or 21, he'd probably be a top-50 all time player - and this coming from someone who despises Ichiro.
    RIP Bill Burgess - a gentleman and a scholar - Baseball-Fever will never be the same without you.

Here's a ZiPS projection of what Ichiro could have done in a full major league career. He definitely had the talent to chase Pete Rose's 4,256 career hit total.

Ichiro! Projection.png

SOURCE

Blog Entries
    If he'd started his Major League career at 20 or 21, he'd probably be a top-50 all time player - and this coming from someone who despises Ichiro.
    So it is personal after all.
    Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderPressure View Post
    So it is personal after all.
    I despise him as a player, not as a person.

It is not personal.
    RIP Bill Burgess - a gentleman and a scholar - Baseball-Fever will never be the same without you.

Blog Entries
    It's more like you personally hate him as a player. Why, though? He's a great player.
    Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

I despise him as a player, not as a person.

It is not personal.
    How do you hate a player as a player? Unless he's just plain bad . . . He's far from bad. Unless he's clobbered the team your support many times . . . but hell? Everybody does that . . . thats the idea. Even then, why not just respect but hate the way he's treated your team?
    Some's basturds, some's ain't, thats the score.

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerODell View Post
    How do you hate a player as a player? Unless he's just plain bad . . . He's far from bad. Unless he's clobbered the team your support many times . . . but hell? Everybody does that . . . thats the idea. Even then, why not just respect but hate the way he's treated your team?
    maybe he doesn't like his hitting style. ichiro is a great hitter but he slaps the ball. if you love power hitters he is not your guy.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerODell View Post
    That's the way I always felt about Edgar. He always clobbered the NYYs and he is probably the only guy who totally clobbered Mariano...he literally spanked him beyond belief. He hit him like it was slow pitch softball with a composite triple-wall bat. Strangely enough, Edgar has always been my fave non-Yankee. After Edgar retired, it became Ichiro.

Quote Originally Posted by Joltin' Joe View Post
    That's the way I always felt about Edgar. He always clobbered the NYYs and he is probably the only guy who totally clobbered Mariano...he literally spanked him beyond belief. He hit him like it was slow pitch softball with a composite triple-wall bat. Strangely enough, Edgar has always been my fave non-Yankee. After Edgar retired, it became Ichiro.
    Edgar did always smash Mo... 10/16, 2 doubles, 2 HR's, 3 BB's, 2 IBB .625/.700/1.188 I know that is off topic but no one did that to Mo except Edgar...

Ichiro still has a shot at 3,000 hits if that is what he desires. Less likely than previous estimates but still a chance.

At 38 years old, he needs 559 more hits. If he were to reach 200 hits this year, then he would need 186 hits for each of the next 2 seasons.... yes, again, not likely but still possible.

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    maybe he doesn't like his hitting style. ichiro is a great hitter but he slaps the ball. if you love power hitters he is not your guy.
    Well, GiambiJuice posted a few years ago that he thought Ichiro is selfish because he concentrates on slapping singles and keeping his batting average high instead of sacrificing some average for more doubles.

Quote Originally Posted by cardsfanatic View Post
    A big fat no. Although, I'd be immensely impressed if he were able to pull it off. But I think the odds of it happening are less than 1 percent.
    That 1% in 2007 jumped to like 70% in 2012.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post

I know you posted this on April 15, but two days later he has 13 hits, while Jeter is leading the AL with 17. Would be nice if both old men can get to 200 though.

Can you imagine if Ichiro was chasing 4,256 hits right now?! It would be awesome! I'm sure Pete Rose would be whining about how his cherished hits record was being challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    Can you imagine if Ichiro was chasing 4,256 hits right now?! It would be awesome! I'm sure Pete Rose would be whining about how his cherished hits record was being challenged.
    It might still be challenged in a few short years, but not by Ichiro.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast