Thread: Sportsmans Park Fightin' Cardinals? Anyone Remember? Have item

I'm presently layin' my hat in central illinois.

Sportsmans Park Fightin' Cardinals? Anyone Remember? Have item

Greetings, and thanks for taking a moment to check out this thread.

For my first post I am seeking knowledge. I know what I ask may have been equally if not better suited for a different Forum, however the root of my quandry is the St. Louis Cardinals, the name " Fightin' Cardinals " and Sportsmans Park. I guess this could have gone under collectibles or Ball Parks - if the Admin sees fit please move this to where it is better suited. Thanks!

The photo attached to this thread is of a mini bat my father recently gave me. He said he remembers his grandfather always having this bat around when he was just a kid. My father was born in 1938. However, none of us remembers ever hearing the Cardinals being called the "Fightin Cardinals" as the bat indicates.

I have done a bit of research online, and really couldn't come up with anything firm. I did see Cardinals uniforms from the 1930's forward, and the oldest uniform I saw showed a letter 'C' which was the same shape as the bat, but not design. Shape meaning they both had the appearance of a 'bite' taken out of a full circle. Design meaning where the bat uses a baseball - the 30's uniform showed a solid red C.

Since the Cardinals joined Sportsmans Park in 1920 (if I remember right), and it appears that the logo on the bat pre-dates the oldest logo's I saw online, my guess would be that this bat is from somewhere around the roaring 20's.

Would anyone here know anything at all about A) Obviously this bat: Ever seen one before? Would you know if it were something one could purchase from the counter at a game? Or was this some type of fan incentive, handed out to the first 1,000 people? B) the Fightin' Cardinals. Ever hear them referred to as Fightin'? This isn't some farm club that played a MLB stadium, is it? (Probably a stupid question, but maybe one worth asking).

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks once again for taking your time to look at this pretty cool piece of history.
    TimmyG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Up or down - the Cardinals are and will always be the team I root for.

I have learned more information - that may or may not be helpful to anyone following this thread.

I have learned that the cardinals played at a place called Sportsmans Park after they earned their name "Cardinals" in 1899. They played at a place which changed its name to "Robison Field" in 1911, but had been known as Sportsmans Park since before the turn of the century.

This is all fairly hard to follow - because they left Robison Field in 1920 to play at a place called "Sportsmans Park" (the NEW).

This bat could easily come from a timeframe between 1900 and 1911 when the Cardinals played at (the old) Sportsmans Park.

100 year old bat anyone?

For anyone following this thread - I am still investigating. The more I learn, the more it becomes obvious that this is one hard to identify piece. If you are following this, feel free to ask your friends if they know of the Fightin' Cardinals, or when that name may have been used in time.

Thanks for your interest.

TimmyG

Sportsman's Park

A few thoughts:

The St. Louis Browns were the original owners of Sportsman's Park, and started playing there before the Cardinals.

The Cardinals did not use Sportsman's Park until 1920, when they started renting it from the Browns.

I don't believe the Cardinals were ever really called 'The Fightin' Cardinals' in any popular way, but "The Fightin' XXXX" phrase may have been somewhat popular during WWII and just after? Based on the color of the bat and the drawing style of the Redbirds, I would guess this is from the late 1940's.

You may want to contact an expert such as Frank Ceresi:

http://www.fcassociates.com/appraisals.htm

Quote Originally Posted by KJOK View Post
    A few thoughts:

The St. Louis Browns were the original owners of Sportsman's Park, and started playing there before the Cardinals.

The Cardinals did not use Sportsman's Park until 1920, when they started renting it from the Browns.

I don't believe the Cardinals were ever really called 'The Fightin' Cardinals' in any popular way, but "The Fightin' XXXX" phrase may have been somewhat popular during WWII and just after? Based on the color of the bat and the drawing style of the Redbirds, I would guess this is from the late 1940's.

You may want to contact an expert such as Frank Ceresi:

http://www.fcassociates.com/appraisals.htm
    Hi, thanks for your reply.
    Thats some great thinking - about the 'fightin' being used during the war. I have visited the Cardinal Museum in St. Louis and showed the bat to the Asst. Curator. He couldn't recognize the bird from any time throughout the Cardinals career, nor the 'baseball' style letter "C". It fascinated him, that's for sure.

I really really appreciate the link - thanks a million - to the appraiser, and appreciate you taking your time to post in this forum KJOK.

GO CARDS!

TimmyG