Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox Farm System

Quote Originally Posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
    Barnes promoted to Salem.

from rotoworld:
    Nice...hopefully he continues to have success. Should be interesting to watch!
    Visit my new card scan site at Baseball Card Scans.

View my autograph collection at Mike D's TTM Page.

Middlebrooks & Cook being called up.

Ryan Kalish (shoulder) has begun playing long-toss and taking regular live batting practice.

Kalish, who was placed on the 60-day disabled list in early-April, is working out at the Red Sox' extended spring trianing complex in Florida. "He's coming along and he's hitting on a field," GM Ben Cherington said Thursday. "So we'll let him do that for a little while and get him some live BP and then get him into game action down there." There's no timetable for his return to the majors.

Portland Sea Dogs Update: Stolmy Pimentel, Derrik Gibson, Dan Butler

Derrik Gibson, SS

Gibson was drafted back in 2008 by the Red Sox, a second-round selection who made his professional debut as an 18-year-old back in Rookie League and then Low-A Lowell. It's been a slow climb for him since, with Gibson spending all of 2009 at Low-A once more, and then repeating the one year, one level dance each season since.

Except for that 2009 stint at Lowell, he's never been impressive statistically. His loftiest OPS as a pro is 776, with the second-place finish going to his 2011 at High-A Salem (627). He draws walks, and he doesn't strike out much, but he just hasn't shown much of an ability to hit to this point.

He's also likely a future second baseman because of his arm, and more offense will be expected of him there. Until he starts to hit even a little, it's tough to even hand him an informational pamphlet from Utility Infielders Of America. Even the club that employs Willie Bloomquist has standards, you know.

Boston hasn't been particularly aggressive with him, in the sense he's done one level per year, but he hasn't even shown as much progress offensively on a level-to-level basis as someone like Che-Hsuan Lin. Who, by the way, isn't in Boston while they are short on outfielders because he can't hit.

Dan Butler, C

Dan Butler isn't so much a prospect as he is organizational depth, but he's still interesting as a backstop who occasionally flashes some offensive ability. He's also moved up through the system quickly as of late, playing in Double-A Portland for the first time as a 24-year-old in 2011. He's back there now with Ryan Lavarnway on the 40-man roster and getting the playing time in Triple-A.

Butler isn't a future everyday backstop, but thanks to his defense and ability to throw out runners, there's likely a backup job in his future. The Red Sox might be flush with young, promising catchers at the moment, but there's always room for someone who can block the plate, throw out a runner, and maybe lash a single every fourth or fifth day.

Stolmy Pimentel, SP

Pimentel didn't make his first start of the season until April 27, thanks to a lat injury that slowed him down this spring. Given his 2011, you expect horrible things to happen each time he takes the mound, but he's still young enough to turn things around. Whether or not he will do so is another matter entirely -- youth isn't everything.

Pimentel struck out seven batters in five innings without surrendering a walk. He gave up seven hits, too, so he wasn't without some blemishes, but he scattered them enough to hold the opposition to two earned runs.

If you've forgotten why Pimentel is a pitcher who you are only allowed to be cautiously optimistic about at present, here's a reminder of his 2011 campaign. Pimentel was crushed in Portland, failing to miss bats or find the strike zone, and he gave up 13.4 hits per nine. This wasn't just bad luck and batting average on balls in play -- well, the latter was part of it, but it was on Pimentel and not just the defense -- as he had problems with his command and sequencing.

He was demoted to High-A Salem, where he had pitched successfully in 2010, and while things improved, it wasn't enough to convince anyone that panic time was over. Now, back in Portland, Pimentel essentially gets a second chance to erase the year of his development he lost.

Failure can be productive for a prospect, but it can also be a sign that things just aren't going to happen. Watching Pimentel's progress in 2012 will go a long way towards telling us which way we should be thinking of him as a starter. He's on the 40-man roster, placed there following the 2010 season in order to protect him from the Rule 5 draft, so there's even more reason than usual to hope a young pitcher at Double-A pans out -- he's using up a valuable roster spot. More pitching, regardless of outcome, will give us a better idea of whether he's worth it or not.
    http://www.overthemonster.com/2012/5...tler#storyjump

Salem Red Sox Update: Jackie Bradley, Xander Bogaerts, Drake Britton

Jackie Bradley, CF

The 2011 season might have been slow for Jackie Bradley Jr. at both the collegiate and professional level, but he's making up for it now that he's in High-A. Bradley hit his first homer the other day, and has 10 extra-base hits in 23 games.

He's also showing excellent plate discipline and pitch recognition, with walks in 16 percent of his plate appearances, and strikeouts just 14 percent of the time. It's far too early for those figures to have stabilized, but for someone the Red Sox drafted more for what he could be than what he had done, it's a great sign for the 22-year-old.

There's almost nothing he hasn't done well, as he's flashed doubles power, stolen bases without having plus speed, patience, an ability to control a plate appearance, and a high batting average. Considering his age and the level, the real challenges for Bradley are going to come later -- will more advanced pitchers exploit his discipline, and take away his ability to influence the plate appearance's outcome? Will more refined backstops gun him down?

He's been playing well enough to earn the chance to find out sooner than later, at least in terms of results, and Portland's outfield isn't full enough to hold him back in High-A on its own merits forever.

Xander Bogaerts, SS

There's no need to rush Bogaerts, who is three years younger than Bradley despite more experience in the minors. But he's been equally impressive, even more so when you consider that the average age of a hitter in the Carolina League is over 22 years old.

Bogaerts struck out 24 percent of the time at Greenville as an 18-year-old, but despite the promotion to High-A, he's whiffing just 15 percent of the time. He's not doing it by being overly-aggressive, either, as he's drawing walks at an encouraging nine percent. Also, he has three homers already, slugging over .500 as a shortstop who hasn't even grown into his body yet.

While that fact means he's not a shortstop forever, look at how he's hit before he gets the body to help him drive the ball even more. He's too young to know what he's going to be, but there are already flashes, and when you piece them together you see a special prospect.

It will be interesting to see if the league starts to adjust to Bogaerts, or if he picks it up even further with more repetition against the league's arms. If it's the latter, you wonder if Boston is going to promote him aggressively, since he seems to be coming along faster than their last teenage prospect with this much potential, Will Middlebrooks.

It's unlikely, but the fact you can ponder the scenario without it seeming outright silly goes to show you just how promising Bogaerts' time in Boston's system has looked.

Drake Britton, SP

The promotion of Matt Barnes to High-A likely means the end of Drake Britton as a starting pitcher. Barnes is taking Britton's place in the rotation this Saturday, and while there's been no official word, given Britton's struggles, it's unlikely one of the other arms is moved.

That's not because Britton is a lost cause, but because, unlike someone like the 23-year-old, rarely intriguing Ryan Pressly, Britton might still have something significant to offer out of the bullpen. Britton was at his best when the Red Sox limited him to short outings following Tommy John surgery -- his 3.4 K/BB and 9.3 strikeouts per nine in 75 innings over 21 starts in 2010 is why we're all so disappointed with the last year of his career -- and he only has two viable pitches at the moment, anyway.

Britton barely used a change-up when he was attempting to learn one, and it's essentially been scrapped in favor of his fastball and slider. While his confidence is supposedly better -- he's not noticeably giving up after failing this year -- there's still far too much failure going on. His ERA is 10.71, he's striking out roughly as many hitters as he's walking, and he's been highly-susceptible to the long ball.

Put a lefty with Britton's velocity and fastball/slider combination in the bullpen, and this ship might right itself. Who knows, maybe, like Daniel Bard before him, Britton will learn to pitch to more advanced hitters out of the bullpen, rather than as a starter, and this whole process can be rebooted down the road. For now, though, starting seems like a potentially lost cause, whereas there's possible life in the bullpen for the now 23-year-old southpaw.
    http://www.overthemonster.com/2012/5...tton#storyjump

High-A apparently no more of a match for Barnes than low-A:
    Matt Barnes made a dominant debut for High-A Salem, allowing one run on four hits and a walk in six innings while punching out 12, the most strikeouts he's had in his outstanding first professional season. Barnes, the Red Sox' first pick in the 2011 draft (No. 19 overall), had nine swinging strikeouts.

He now has 54 strikeouts and five walks in six overall starts this year, and he's yielded two runs in 32 2/3 innings (0.55 ERA). His High-A debut came after five starts in Greenville in which Barnes struck out 42, walked four and allowed just one run in 26 2/3 innings. The UConn product now leads the minors in strikeouts.
    via weei
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

High-A apparently no more of a match for Barnes than low-A:
    Nice! Interested to see if he can keep that up for a bit. If so, he could get a taste of AA later in the summer.

He'll need him to experience failure at some point to continue to grow.

Rochester Stymies PawSox

Liam Hendriks worked five and two thirds innings on Tuesday night against the PawSox, notching eight strikeouts and beating Pawtucket 3-1. Hendriks scattered three hits, all in the sixth inning. He tossed 5 hitless innings at the home team.

Rochester scored first as Pedro Florimon smashed a home run against starter and loser Ross Ohlendorf. Ohlendorf (3-3) has dropped his last three decisions. A sixth inning sacrifice fly by former PawSox MVP Joe Thurston knocked in the final Red Wing run.

Pawtuckets' run scored in the bottom of the sixth when Nate Spears came around on a base hit by Josh Kroeger. The loss snaps the PawSox' (20-13) 4 game winning streak.

The series continues on Wednesday night at 6:15 p.m. Cole DeVries ((0-2, 2.89) faces Justin Germano (3-1, 2.16)
    http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...=.jsp&sid=t533

The Matt Barnes show continues:

Matt k's 8 and walks none over 6 innings. He allows 1 earned run (on a homerun) on 5 hits.
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

wow, not missing a beat after being called up to High A. Good to see.

Yeah, nice to see Barnes pitching well despite the better competition.

Anyone made it to any games at a Sox minor league affiliate yet?

I'm sure I'll hit a Pawsox game at some point, probably next month. It's weird not having gone yet...I used to do some scoring for Baseball Info Solutions and at my peak was doing 6 or so games a month at McCoy. Last year I cut down to a couple a month. Now, with the baby, I've "retired" but still plan to enjoy a few games as a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Boxer View Post
    wow, not missing a beat after being called up to High A. Good to see.
    He'll still need to develop a third (plus) pitch, but it's great to see a Red Sox pitching prospect dominate!

Anthony Ranaudo's debut for the Sea Dogs hasn't been overwhelming as he allows 4 runs in 4 innings. He struck out 2 and walked 3. Has anybody watched his start? I'd be curious to know how he looked beyond the box score.

Meanwhile, Iglesias is on a hitting streak and belted his first homerun of the year the other day. Also, Melancon has no trouble with minor leaguers. At what point does he get called up again, and who is the odd man out when he is called up?

Matt Barnes strikes out only three and takes his first loss. He has still been dominant though.
    http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/bos...kes-his-lumps/

According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler is officially a free agent and eligible to sign with any club.
    Let's go Ben. Sign him!

The Mariners have designated Chih-Hsien Chiang for assignment. He was part of the Erik Bedard trade last year.

At the time, some people reacted like we were trading the second coming of Ted Williams based on his excellent half-season in his second run through AA.

It looks like the Sox did a good job of getting some value for him while the getting was good!

Blog Entries
    Keith Law talks 45 minutes about the Red Sox draft 2012.

http://audio.weei.com/a/57721278/min...-keith-law.htm

My son turned 6 months old yesterday. I can't tell you if he's a lefty or a righty, or what position he plays, but I still think of him as a top prospect!

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
    My son turned 6 months old yesterday. I can't tell you if he's a lefty or a righty, or what position he plays, but I still think of him as a top prospect!

What a sweet picture. I say lefthanded starter!

What a sweet picture. I say lefthanded starter!
    Ha ha...that's what I'm hoping for.

I figured to help facilitate that, we'd just duct tape his right arm to his side for the first couple years. My wife nixed that idea though!

Jackie Bradley Jr. was promoted to Portland the other day. The kid looks like he could be something special.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaaBoTownSox View Post
    Jackie Bradley Jr. was promoted to Portland the other day. The kid looks like he could be something special.
    There was a good article about Jackie Bradley jr. On weei:

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/bos...le-a-and-more/

I think, if we can't resign Ellsbury, I think we won't because of the contract we gave Crawford, we are all set in CF. Bradley is not Ellsbury, but maybe Denard Span. That's a good leadoff and defender.

Blog Entries
    Was in Pawtucket today for the Stewart debut. He was good, throwing 92mph with a good slider and change. Lavarnway looked really good, with three hits. The Red Sox have a super platoon at the MLB level, but Lavarnway should be in the bigs right now. He hits over. 400 for his last 10 games, has a high season avg. OBP., you name it. Bard pitched too. The charlotte knight didn't hit him, with a K and two weak groundouts, buy his fastball velocity is still 93-95mph. We'll see how long it takes him to come back.

I like Alex Hassan. Works the count like a prototypical Red Sock and it shows in his stats. His obp is more than 100 points higher than his BA. He should be worth a 25man roster spot soon.

John Sickels released his mid-season top prospects list: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...date#storyjump

The Red Sox prospects come in at

11) Xander Bogaerts, SS, Boston Red Sox (30)
    36) Jackie Bradley, OF, Boston Red Sox
    41) Matt Barnes, RHP, Boston Red Sox (74)
    59) Ryan Lavarnway, C, Boston Red Sox up (97)
    90) Blake Swihart, C, Boston Red Sox
    105) Brandon Jacobs, OF, Boston Red Sox (89)
    119) Henry Owens, LHP, Boston Red Sox

BA mid season top 50 list out as well: http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...spects-list-2/

Red Sox have three in top 50 (with Ryan Lavarnway being honorably mentioned)
    #13 - Matt Barnes
    #31 - Xander Bogaerts
    #32 - Jackie Bradley

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast