X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scaffolds
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Westlake View Post
    Why would Suarez be starting over Khoury? Suarez can't hit at all, and will turn 28 at the beginning of next season. Khoury should get the opportunity.

Also, im guessing Jackson is going to be in Pawtucket.
    Khoury has less range and arm than Lowrie and those are the reasons which why lowrie its projected as a second baseman. Suarez was Lancaster starting short stop and the only reason Khoury played SS in Lancaster was after Suarez promotion, in addition Suarez glove wotk and Khoury isn't even close it Suarez by a mile. Neither is considered as a prospect, Suarez will be 27 yrs at the end of May not 28 like you claim hit and for a 379 average in 66 AB with 8 doubles and a tripple in 66 AB at Lancaster and for a 253 Ave with 17 doubles 2 tripples and 4 HR in 352 AB in Portland. Khoury who isn't a Spring chicken will be 24 in Spring training and was a product of the park where he played his home games hit for a 302 Ave with 29 doubles 1 tripple and 11 HR in 381 AB in Lancaster.

Kyle Jackson needs to shows that he can throws strikes in a consistent basis before he will be promoted to Pawtucket.
    Last edited by scaffolds; 12-23-2007, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• scaffolds
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Jager View Post
      Does anyone know what's up with Edgar Martinez? I had heard alot about him last year, and really expected to see him at some point this year, then I heard nothing about him for most of the season. Maybe it was just because our pen was so solid in 07. Anyone know what his numbers were, and what we should expect out of him this coming year (if anything)?
      Egard Martinez who is also not having a good Winter league season in Venezuela need to get in better physical shape before he comes to Spring training and also polish his off speed stuff.

Comment

• Imgran
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by scaffolds View Post
        Mark Wagner should be Portland starting catcher in 2008. Actually the harder question is who will be Wagner's back up, among Juan Apodaca and Dennis Blackmon, with Zack Farkes and John Otness on the outside.
        Zak Farkes in Portland? Would be cool in a "where the **** did that come from?" sense but I don't honestly see it as even an outside possibility I've always liked the guy for some reason but I have no idea how he's still in the system. Other than a sheer determination to do whatever it takes to stay in pro baseball I don't see what he really offers.

Comment

• Imgran
          • Dec 2007

Khoury has less range and arm than Lowrie and those are the reasons which why lowrie its projected as a second baseman. Suarez was Lancaster starting short stop and the only reason Khoury played SS in Lancaster was after Suarez promotion, in addition Suarez glove wotk and Khoury isn't even close it Suarez by a mile. Neither is considered as a prospect, Suarez will be 27 yrs at the end of May not 28 like you claim hit and for a 379 average in 66 AB with 8 doubles and a tripple in 66 AB at Lancaster and for a 253 Ave with 17 doubles 2 tripples and 4 HR in 352 AB in Portland. Khoury who isn't a Spring chicken will be 24 in Spring training and was a product of the park where he played his home games hit for a 302 Ave with 29 doubles 1 tripple and 11 HR in 381 AB in Lancaster.

Kyle Jackson needs to shows that he can throws strikes in a consistent basis before he will be promoted to Pawtucket.
          The fact is that of the two, Khoury has a much greater chance of making something of himself in the big leagues so he should get more playing time. I'm not saying it would or wouldn't make the most sense to have Khoury play from the perspective of the manager of the Portland Seadogs (or even that either of them are any kind of major prospect) but remember, they're down there to develop, and the guys with the most chance of learning and advancing are the guys who should get the playing time by default, even if a lower-ceiling or older guy is better right now.

Comment

• Imgran
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Jager View Post
            Does anyone know what's up with Edgar Martinez? I had heard alot about him last year, and really expected to see him at some point this year, then I heard nothing about him for most of the season. Maybe it was just because our pen was so solid in 07. Anyone know what his numbers were, and what we should expect out of him this coming year (if anything)?
            Big Edga got off to a roaring start but as I understand it, stamina issues associated in large part with his weight slowed him down in the later half of the season and he doesn't have much to show for this year. Not only didn't the offspeed stuff improve, the rumor I heard is that he seems to have lost something on his fastball.

There's some hope though. He doesn't locate it as well as he might but I've heard he has a pretty nasty change-up. A guy can live on a good fastball and change plus a couple show-me offerings, and a reliever can come into the big leagues and get a shot at age 27 or 28, especially if he's a power pitcher. His k/9 was at least reasonable at 7.8, and his WHIP wasn't an absolute disaster at 1.27, but the guy is just too prone to the long bomb which is where his problems as a pitcher begin and end. Nearly than a HR per 6 innings pitched is no way to get to the big show. Basically all the flaws the scouting report said he needed to work on last year caught up with him this year and he's got to make an adjustment to survive. We'll see what he does with it.

I actually suspect that if Farrell gets ahold of him and Edga's willing to listen that Farrell might just be able to save this kid. Change-up pitchers seem to be his specialty (The Oki-Dokie, that wicked little change Gabbard came out of nowhere with, Beckett's improved offering, Schilling picking up the pitch) so we'll see how it goes.
            Last edited by Imgran; 12-23-2007, 05:28 PM.

Comment

• scaffolds
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
              Zak Farkes in Portland? Would be cool in a "where the **** did that come from?" sense but I don't honestly see it as even an outside possibility I've always liked the guy for some reason but I have no idea how he's still in the system. Other than a sheer determination to do whatever it takes to stay in pro baseball I don't see what he really offers.
              Well, if Farkes has any future as a baseball player it would beas a catcher the position he has played the last two years and not as a infielder the position he played in college. Farkes did hit 14 HR last year (4 Greenville and 10 in Lancaster) in 236 AB so he has some pop in his bat. However its very unlikely he will hit for average. His defensive skills are a work in progress, but he has a strong arm. Forkes would rank behind Apodaca and Blackmon as a catcher (that's why i ranked him on the outside) to get the back up job in Portland, but isn't out of the question.

Comment

• Imgran
                • Dec 2007

Is it true that Farkes caught John Barnes a lot in Lancaster and so has managed to gain some knuckleball experience? I heard something about that once upon a time in an article about Lancaster.

Comment

• scaffolds
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
                  The fact is that of the two, Khoury has a much greater chance of making something of himself in the big leagues so he should get more playing time. I'm not saying it would or wouldn't make the most sense to have Khoury play from the perspective of the manager of the Portland Seadogs (or even that either of them are any kind of major prospect) but remember, they're down there to develop, and the guys with the most chance of learning and advancing are the guys who should get the playing time by default, even if a lower-ceiling or older guy is better right now.
                  I disagree a player with above average defensive skills (Suarez) has a better chance to make to the ML (utility player) than a player with average (at best )defensive skills and unkown bat (Lancaster stats don't tell the picture) (khoury). I do agree that both will play, just that Suarez will play more and be regular SS.

Comment

• Westlake
                    • Jan 2007

I disagree a player with above average defensive skills (Suarez) has a better chance to make to the ML (utility player) than a player with average (at best )defensive skills and unkown bat (Lancaster stats don't tell the picture) (khoury). I do agree that both will play, just that Suarez will play more and be regular SS.
                    I'm incredibly sorry I messed up on his age.

Suarez would maybe have a better CHANCE to stay in the majors if he had already made it there, but he'll probably never make the major leagues. Khoury doesn't have an "unknown" bat -- maybe unknown to you, but he's been a good hitter at every level.
                    Last edited by Westlake; 12-24-2007, 01:28 PM.
                    Originally posted by Domenic
                    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

• Imgran
                      • Dec 2007

Actually, again Scaffolds I'm going to completely disagree with you. Khoury's problem (good range, many errors) is most likely to be solved by extensive reps. Suarez has had his chance to solve his issue with full-time play and he's still at best a mediocre hitter.

BTW -- are you the Scaffolds who used to post at Soxprospects.com?

Comment

• scaffolds
                        • Dec 2007

Khoury other season in the Red Sox system besides 2007 in Lancaster was in 2006 at Lowell where he hit for a 236 Ave in 140 AB with only seven doubles 1 tripple 0 HR, the 2007 season in Lancaster was talked about in a couple posts above, again all of this proved that Khoury's bat is a unknown.

Ingran you disagree with me all of what you want, but range and arm strength and fielding range aren't tools that can improve with practice. A player can improve the quickness of his release, but not the arm strentgh and a player can improve his positioning, but not his range and to close this argument from my side Khoury doesn't have soft hands another sign of a not good fielder.

I did used to post at Soxprospect sometime ago.

Comment

• Westlake
                          • Jan 2007

You cant improve arm strength? Are you serious? Have you ever played baseball before? You might want to give that idea some serious thought there. Personally, I greatly improved my arm strength throughout junior and senior year in high school with the proper workouts.

Also, no where did Imgran say that he could improve his range, just that he could improve on the errors, which is true (by the way, there are steps to take improve range as well, but it is in fact very hard to improve on).
                          The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

• scaffolds
                            • Dec 2007

You can improve your arm strength when you are a kid, not when you're 24 yrs. The only thing you can do for range is positioning and adjust it with what type of a pitch the pitcher will be throwing. Fielding range is quickness and anticipation, if you don't haved it, you don't have it. There's not question that a fielder should improve his fielding taking extra ground work, but when a fielder like Khoury doesn't have soft hands there's only so much you can do. As far if i have played the game, well lets say about all of my life.
                            Last edited by scaffolds; 12-26-2007, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• Westlake
                              • Jan 2007

I don't consider 18 being a "kid", and that's when I did it.

Also, having soft hands is absolutely something you can improve on. I'm very surprised you say you've played all your life yet say you cannot improve arm strength and cut down errors. It's somewhat astounding.

Comment

• ChrisLDuncan
                                I <3 Yu Darvish
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Westlake View Post
                                You cant improve arm strength? Are you serious? Have you ever played baseball before? You might want to give that idea some serious thought there. Personally, I greatly improved my arm strength throughout junior and senior year in high school with the proper workouts.
                                Not only that, but you can make mechanical changes aswell. Growing into your frame also improves them.

Also, no where did Imgran say that he could improve his range, just that he could improve on the errors, which is true (by the way, there are steps to take improve range as well, but it is in fact very hard to improve on).
                                Actually range can be improved too. You can take better routes (that's the "intangible defensive aspects that you won't see on TV", you can improve your reaction time, and you can improve your positioning. All of these things improve your range (hell you can also get faster).
                                "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X