Page 527 of 571 FirstFirst ... 27427477517525526527528529537 ... LastLast
Results 13,151 to 13,175 of 14267

Thread: Shea Stadium

treating sports customers like cattle/sheep has worked for owners for the last 30+ years, they (and the athletes) continue to increase the cost of attending - far above the average rate of inflation - and the customers keep on buying no matter how ricuclously expensive it becomes. btw - look up the old h. l. mencken quote...

as much as you would want families to be a more important part of sports franchise marketing, they are not who big time sports franchises see as their target customers these days. it may be short sided to subjugate this potential resource to secondary status but families don't have the disposable income for big time sports tix prices and sports franchises can't afford to be cutting tix prices to lure them in. that's why the baseball minor leagues have thrived.

it is dumb for the met(s)s to "act" like the yanks, doubt the the family wants their product to have the appearance of being second to the yanks even if it is the right way to go in marketing. fred-o's ego wouldn't allow that. the 60's persona evaporated after winning the series, after that they became another mlb franchise.

aside from the few stars that you mentioned, the 80's yanks were awash in overpriced/under achieving free agents and the steady stream of columbus shuttle wanna-be's. all that and the negative persona of stein-grabber set up a situation where it didn't take much for the mets to overtake them. winning w/the aura trumps charisma these days and the yanks have carefully crafted the image that the met(s)s can't match. since the family intends to hold on to the franchise for many years to come, the wilpon/katz persona of incompetence will continue to play 2nd fiddle regardless
    of on-field success. they and their ways of doing biz aren't going to change.

the dodgers haven't been in ny for more than 50 years, that franchise's ny shine has rubbed off many years ago.
    if a ny location is the magic wand for national interest, then explain the nets, islanders and devils?
    it's the dodgers success in l.a. that continues to get them national interest and keep it. if they were an inept business and provided a sub standard product their brooklyn shine would not have helped them 10, 20, 30 years later.

few of those who went to see the mets in other cities were converted, the went to see 'em lose. the mets don't have the sustained history of success that have made the lakers, pats, packers, yanks, dodgers, celtics, cowboys, canadiens "national teams" and regardless of who's operating the franchise it will be second-tier.

your ideas might have worked in the pre-free agent/big media era, but not now, sorry...
    Last edited by Paul W; 04-01-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    since the early 70's the mets only have "national weight" when they are in the post season, how and/or why would they have been able to extend their brand outside the nyc area? the 2 franchises with national reach are the yanks and dodgers - when they are winning and the former does a good job of that.
    The Braves led the way for National Branding outside their local area when Ted Turner uplinked WTBS as a SuperStation. The other stations that followed were WGN, WPIX, WOR, WSBK. WGN broadcast Cubs games. WPIX had the Yankees. WOR had the Mets, and WSBK, although I don't recall them doing Red Sox games, sure broadcast Bruins games.. The teams that had their games on these SuperStations got National exposrure. Until the FCC began to clamp down on these far-reaching stations, teams saw ad revenue galore outside their home area.

the reason why mlb franchises get involved with regional sports networks is so they can "skim" $$$'s to funnel into the teams, a revenue stream independent of ticket sales etc. makes good biz sense.
    That is, and will be, the reason for teams to own, or have a stake, in their RSN. They will get pretty much guaranteed revenue for each and every cable and satellite home that subscribes to anything above the bare-bones minimum package. I think the only way one can get PayTV w/o RSN is via some Dish packages...

you should include the players in the $$$ grab, look how quickly the average salary has risen above the national norm since 1974. the family doesn't have much choice but charge in the neighborhood of what the other franchise does, they are competing in the same available talent pool, are in a mallpark of the same age but also have mountians of debt to pay off. if they slash tix prices heavily now and the product improves when they increase prices to market normals there'll be an uproar about that.
    I had pointed this out months ago, and actually posted a graph showing average ticket price per year with average player salaries. They went hand in step. Every time a mediocre player signs a big contract, everyone else pays.

Cheers!
    -Doug
    20-Game Saturday Plan, Prom Box 423.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    1) Good will is an essential ingredient in the relationship between a business and its customers. That's pretty much traditional business thinking. What you're suggesting pro-sports consumers are somehow cut from an inferior cloth and treating them like rabble is a winning paradigm. I disagree.

2) You're looking at ballpark revenue in a vacuum. I'm not. Strategies that numerically grow the fan base will result in greater television revenue, which will result in greater long term profit. Nobody's suggesting eliminating high roller seating, but configuring seating and pricing so families are priced out is a strategic mistake that will ultimately erode the fan base. The bigger the fan base the higher the television revenue.
    Goose, what do you think is an affordable price for families? I can't see a family of four spending less than $200 to take in a game; maybe $100 if they do it on the cheap. It was expensive for my folks to take me to a game back in the late 70's / early 80's. I am know it's expensive to do so now.

At any rate that's how I'd run the team differently, in answer to a much earlier question.
    I'll post the rest over in the ownership thread. I think your missing a couple of things. In a nutshell, it's easier to have a meeting and come up with a plan then it is to execute said plan. Sadly, I think the Mets will have a hard time displacing the Yankees unless the wheels fall off the Steinbrenner Bus... and happens when they begin to not make the playoffs like clockwork. And I just don't see that happening. They will spend whatever they need to in order to make the playoffs every year. For them, fiscal restraint is not part of the equation.

Cheers!
    -Doug
    20-Game Saturday Plan, Prom Box 423.

[QUOTE=alpineinc;1997725]Small, but a neat pic of the 23 inning Mets/Giants tilt in '64. Taken in the 22nd inning.

Wow, it is actually amazin’ that there are so many fans still there!

And I remember the first time I sat in field boxes seeing that appropriate and mildly worded sign along the railing that said “Please do not reach out of box for baseballs”.

I think those signs were discarded in the mid ‘80s.

Left field ramp looking out on to flushing bay..the cars in the lot look mid 70's vintage...
    "to a new yorker like you a hero is some sort of weird sandwich"

"Because I'm loyal and true, to the orange and blue"

This might have been taken from the same ramp!

shea lot 001.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mygirljess View Post
    This might have been taken from the same ramp!

shea lot 001.jpg
    No, that was taken from the open left field end of the stadium, before it was closed in, and murals put up. That is right behind the visitor's bullpen area. You can actually see the shadows of the left field light towers casting a double shadow across the entire center of the picture, passing over the buses!

The picture above, taken from the ramp, was definitely not the end of the stadium. It is almost right behind the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Small, but a neat pic of the 23 inning Mets/Giants tilt in '64. Taken in the 22nd inning.

Good find Alpine. Through some internet shenanigans I was able to pull up a larger resolution of the image, and adjusted it a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock View Post
    Good find Alpine. Through some internet shenanigans I was able to pull up a larger resolution of the image, and adjusted it a little.
    Wow, thanks. I pride myself on having a few tricks up my sleeve with these, but this one is impressive indeed! Really a keeper now.

Wow. Thanks for that. I bet this old photo of mine shows a large portion of what is now Citi Field, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Mygirljess View Post
    Wow. Thanks for that. I bet this old photo of mine shows a large portion of what is now Citi Field, correct?
    Yes correct, that parking lot u see currently is where Citi field sits now...

Quote Originally Posted by nymTom View Post
    Yes correct, that parking lot u see currently is where Citi field sits now...
    The two-story brick building on the left is across the street from Citi's Bullpen Gate.
    X
    Archie Bunker: All I can tell you, Edith, is I'm surprised at you! Dragging me off to a moving picture like that! It was absolutely disgusting!
    Edith Bunker: Well, I'm sorry, Archie, how was I to know? I thought it was a religious picture, "Cardinal Knowledge!"

The picture from the marathon game is taken from in or near Field Box 26B.
    I sat in that area ONCE in for a September 1986 game (after the Mets had already clinched).
    A unique upclose "in the game" prospective that you will no longer get from any regular seat. (only top level club seats)

Franco's 400th save
    4/14/99: John Franco becomes the second pitcher in MLB history to record 400 saves

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20521731
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Random shea pic..probably late 60s
    "to a new yorker like you a hero is some sort of weird sandwich"

"Because I'm loyal and true, to the orange and blue"

does anybody have pics of the diamond vision being built? with that in mind are there pics it going down?
    That awkward moment when you are off 1 dollar buying something

Quote Originally Posted by margatemanor View Post
    Random shea pic..probably late 60s
    4/23/67... http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1967/04231967.htm

phils scored 2 in the 1st 3 of the 4 games
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

[QUOTE=Paul W;1995263]treating sports customers like cattle/sheep has worked for owners for the last 30+ years, they (and the athletes) continue to increase the cost of attending - far above the average rate of inflation - and the customers keep on buying no matter how ricuclously expensive it becomes. btw - look up the old h. l. mencken quote...

QUOTE]

It also doesn't help that factors contributing to the basic cost of living, expenses most of us have, have steadily outpaced wage growth over the past several decades. I mean basic stuff, rent, mortgages, car payments, grocery bills, doctors visits, utility costs, college tuition, and yes, taxes!, have all increased at a far higher rate than hourly wages or monthly salaries. Used to be a department store salesperson could put up a substantial down payment on a house or fully pay for a car, in cash, after about 3-7 years in that role. Now it takes 10 or more years for even a certified accountant or even a lawyer to scrape that sum together!

Consequentially there is less "discretionary income" to spend on going to ballgames or the movies.

As a result, the providers of such pastimes we love, like professional sports, the movies, or even county fairs and old-fashioned amusement parks, have to raise the price of admission/concessions to make up for the loss in attendance. It's either that, or they go out of business altogether - as have many of the amusement parks and yearly fairs I mentioned. The average person simply cannot afford to have as much fun, bececause they are working longer hours for wages/salary that while higher in terms of dollar today have actually lower actual value. Am I going somewhere with this?
    Last edited by NYFan1stYankFan2nd; 04-17-2012 at 06:37 AM.
    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    4/23/67... http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1967/04231967.htm

phils scored 2 in the 1st 3 of the 4 games
    And the telltale aqua fences of 1967. Any reason why they chose that odd color that year?

From Tom Seaver's first ever game in '67, 10 days earlier:

An amazing document if you haven't seen it before, even with the watermark:

Struck out 8 in 5 1/3, but did not get a decision.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...130NYN1967.htm
    Last edited by alpineinc; 04-17-2012 at 07:27 AM.

Couple more from the LIFE photo shoot, 1969. Some from the shoot here before, I think.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    And the telltale aqua fences of 1967. Any reason why they chose that odd color that year?

From Tom Seaver's first ever game in '67, 10 days earlier:

An amazing document if you haven't seen it before, even with the watermark:

Struck out 8 in 5 1/3, but did not get a decision.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...130NYN1967.htm
    The walls were not aqua back then. I was a little kid but I remember. The walls were green.

The reason why it looks aqua is because the photo you have has faded and discolored.

The same is true with colors of the seats in the stadium. The original colors of the seats were not the bright, brash look that we remember at the end (which started in the 80's). They were pastel colors (not unlike what you would see if you look at Dodger stadium today).

Page 527 of 571 FirstFirst ... 27427477517525526527528529537 ... LastLast