Page 659 of 715 FirstFirst ... 159559609649657658659660661669709 ... LastLast
Results 13,161 to 13,180 of 14282

Thread: Shea Stadium

Wow. Thanks for that. I bet this old photo of mine shows a large portion of what is now Citi Field, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Mygirljess View Post
    Wow. Thanks for that. I bet this old photo of mine shows a large portion of what is now Citi Field, correct?
    Yes correct, that parking lot u see currently is where Citi field sits now...

Quote Originally Posted by nymTom View Post
    Yes correct, that parking lot u see currently is where Citi field sits now...
    The two-story brick building on the left is across the street from Citi's Bullpen Gate.
    X
    Archie Bunker: All I can tell you, Edith, is I'm surprised at you! Dragging me off to a moving picture like that! It was absolutely disgusting!
    Edith Bunker: Well, I'm sorry, Archie, how was I to know? I thought it was a religious picture, "Cardinal Knowledge!"

The picture from the marathon game is taken from in or near Field Box 26B.
    I sat in that area ONCE in for a September 1986 game (after the Mets had already clinched).
    A unique upclose "in the game" prospective that you will no longer get from any regular seat. (only top level club seats)

Franco's 400th save
    4/14/99: John Franco becomes the second pitcher in MLB history to record 400 saves

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20521731
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Random shea pic..probably late 60s
    "to a new yorker like you a hero is some sort of weird sandwich"

"Because I'm loyal and true, to the orange and blue"

does anybody have pics of the diamond vision being built? with that in mind are there pics it going down?
    That awkward moment when you are off 1 dollar buying something

Quote Originally Posted by margatemanor View Post
    Random shea pic..probably late 60s
    4/23/67... http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1967/04231967.htm

phils scored 2 in the 1st 3 of the 4 games
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

[QUOTE=Paul W;1995263]treating sports customers like cattle/sheep has worked for owners for the last 30+ years, they (and the athletes) continue to increase the cost of attending - far above the average rate of inflation - and the customers keep on buying no matter how ricuclously expensive it becomes. btw - look up the old h. l. mencken quote...

QUOTE]

It also doesn't help that factors contributing to the basic cost of living, expenses most of us have, have steadily outpaced wage growth over the past several decades. I mean basic stuff, rent, mortgages, car payments, grocery bills, doctors visits, utility costs, college tuition, and yes, taxes!, have all increased at a far higher rate than hourly wages or monthly salaries. Used to be a department store salesperson could put up a substantial down payment on a house or fully pay for a car, in cash, after about 3-7 years in that role. Now it takes 10 or more years for even a certified accountant or even a lawyer to scrape that sum together!

Consequentially there is less "discretionary income" to spend on going to ballgames or the movies.

As a result, the providers of such pastimes we love, like professional sports, the movies, or even county fairs and old-fashioned amusement parks, have to raise the price of admission/concessions to make up for the loss in attendance. It's either that, or they go out of business altogether - as have many of the amusement parks and yearly fairs I mentioned. The average person simply cannot afford to have as much fun, bececause they are working longer hours for wages/salary that while higher in terms of dollar today have actually lower actual value. Am I going somewhere with this?
    Last edited by NYFan1stYankFan2nd; 04-17-2012 at 05:37 AM.
    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    4/23/67... http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1967/04231967.htm

phils scored 2 in the 1st 3 of the 4 games
    And the telltale aqua fences of 1967. Any reason why they chose that odd color that year?

From Tom Seaver's first ever game in '67, 10 days earlier:

An amazing document if you haven't seen it before, even with the watermark:

Struck out 8 in 5 1/3, but did not get a decision.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...130NYN1967.htm
    Last edited by alpineinc; 04-17-2012 at 06:27 AM.

Couple more from the LIFE photo shoot, 1969. Some from the shoot here before, I think.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    And the telltale aqua fences of 1967. Any reason why they chose that odd color that year?

From Tom Seaver's first ever game in '67, 10 days earlier:

An amazing document if you haven't seen it before, even with the watermark:

Struck out 8 in 5 1/3, but did not get a decision.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...130NYN1967.htm
    The walls were not aqua back then. I was a little kid but I remember. The walls were green.

The reason why it looks aqua is because the photo you have has faded and discolored.

The same is true with colors of the seats in the stadium. The original colors of the seats were not the bright, brash look that we remember at the end (which started in the 80's). They were pastel colors (not unlike what you would see if you look at Dodger stadium today).

Hernandez's 2,000th hit
    9/15/87: Keith Hernandez hustles down the line to beat out an infield single, his third hit of the game and the 2,000th hit of his career

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20758543

Mets beat the Cubs, 12-4.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

...providers of such pastimes we love, like professional sports...have to raise the price of admission/concessions to make up for the loss in attendance..[/QUOTE]

mlb's attendance #'s haven't dropped, so as long as attendance holds the purchase price of tix will continue to rise - not because of the loss of customers (overall).
    it's the upward spirial of player costs and the pursuit of profits that drives up the cost of admission.
    there are no more owners like yawkey or wrigley who were not as interested in the bottom line as being in the biz.
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    The walls were not aqua back then. I was a little kid but I remember. The walls were green.

The reason why it looks aqua is because the photo you have has faded and discolored.
    at the start of the '67 season, the walls were not green but a much lighter shade.
    this was changed during a road trip later that year.
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post

I appreciate your memories of old Shea, but even with the photo aside, the Seaver video does confirm the somewhat misguided aqua/sea green wall color experiment from early in 1967. Not a bad match to the pastel seats of the day, but a poor contrast to the more standard green of the grass of the playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    I appreciate your memories of old Shea, but even with the photo aside, the Seaver video does confirm the somewhat misguided aqua/sea green wall color experiment from early in 1967. Not a bad match to the pastel seats of the day, but a poor contrast to the more standard green of the grass of the playing field.
    Yeah, the lighter wall is definitely not the standard green wall Shea is associated with; note that there are countless old, faded photos where the wall is clearly its normal green. The real giveaway are the distance numerals - only on this aqua wall are they black, not white!

Page 659 of 715 FirstFirst ... 159559609649657658659660661669709 ... LastLast