Page 543 of 562 FirstFirst ... 43443493533541542543544545553 ... LastLast
Results 13,551 to 13,575 of 14026

Thread: Shea Stadium

says '73, from top to bottom looks like tug, torre (?) and yogi...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

opening day '69...
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    new pix of model i've never seen before...
    PaulW those are very interesting. Must be early in the NYWF/Shea process. From the persepctive on the last model it is hard to imagine how they shoe horned Citi Field onto that site on the other side of Shea.

new pix of model i've never seen before...
    Those are great photos.

It's a shame that there isn't one of the enclosed Shea set up for baseball.

says '73, from top to bottom looks like tug, torre (?) and yogi...

If its 73', the 2nd pic would have to be George Theodore.

Quote Originally Posted by alstoer1 View Post
    If its 73', the 2nd pic would have to be George Theodore.
    But its not 73 because its clearly Torre. Those pix are from 1975.. Torre first year as Met, Yogi Manager, Tug still on team, and the tell-all clue.. the black armbands on left sleeve for the passing of Stengel and Ms Payson. 1975 was the only season that Torre, Yogi, and Tug overlapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentonio View Post
    But its not 73 because its clearly Torre. Those pix are from 1975.. Torre first year as Met, Yogi Manager, Tug still on team, and the tell-all clue.. the black armbands on left sleeve for the passing of Stengel and Ms Payson. 1975 was the only season that Torre, Yogi, and Tug overlapped.
    Tug McGraw was not on the team in 75, he was traded to the Phils in Dec 1974.

The black armbands were worn in 1976, Payson and Stengel both passed away just after the 75 season ended.

If pic #2 is Torre then those 3 pics are not from the same year (though #1, and #3 are clearly from the same day).
    Last edited by alstoer1; 02-06-2013 at 01:00 PM.

I would argue that the first and last photos are from 1974, and the middle one is from 1975.

Here are photos I took as an 11-year old on Camera Day, 1974 (August 10, Seaver vs Gullett, Mets lost 5-3). Used to love those events, see my heroes right up close.

Top row: Ken Boswell, Ray Sadecki, then Jerry Grote
    Middle row: Tug (with that beret), then Jon Matlack
    Bottom row: Duffy Dyer, then Ron Hodges and Duffy Dyer.

1ubrzG3.jpg
    1719x2672

As shown, Camera Day 1974 was a sunny affair (original first and third photos), while 1975 was more overcast and rainy (likely second photo), as also seen in the video below, and tarp can be seen in middle photo and video. And the original middle photo really doesn't match any personnel from 1974, I'd think it'd have to be Torre, as well.

And lastly, although neither are from Shea, here's a couple of armband pics from 1976 (I know, sorry about Lolich).

ds_1977-79_sportscaster_kingman.jpg 270834d1353784753-gambo-t_wil1-photopack-mickey-lolich-1976-mets.jpg
    Last edited by alpineinc; 02-06-2013 at 03:31 PM.

My bad... good call on both McGraw trade in Dec 1974 and the armbands worn in '76. Disappointed in myself that I was off by a year on both counts. Yes, the Torre pic is definitely different, both in year (not '74) and weather. It also is square in shape, with a white border, unlike the other two which have rounded corners with no white border, clear indication that the pics were taken on different day.

So, does it appear that the 1st and 3rd pics of McGraw and Berra contain armbands on left sleeve? If so, then they would have to be pics from 1972, for Gil Hodges. Even the other Met partially shown in the Mcgraw photo (looks like Kranepool to me) appears to have an armband.

So, does it appear that the 1st and 3rd pics of McGraw and Berra contain armbands on left sleeve? If so, then they would have to be pics from 1972, for Gil Hodges. Even the other Met partially shown in the Mcgraw photo (looks like Kranepool to me) appears to have an armband.
    I think it's just the shadows of the uniforms as seen on the undershirts - the shadows don't seem to extend to the end of the white uniform sleeves, as armbands would (like the 1974 Matlack photo). Plus the original photos are of inferior quality anyway, so hard to pick much of anything out.

Not sure if here before - May 12, 1972, Lindsey, pre-game interview with Willie, fresh off his trade from the Giants.

d0c78629-9b2d-4ab3-9eae-049f3f230764_lg.jpeg
    1619x1990

Incidentally, the Mets played the Giants this Friday night, and won 2-1 on a walkoff single by Grote. The Mets lineup seen above:

Harrelson
    Boswell
    Agee
    Staub
    Jones
    Fregosi
    Kranepool
    Grote
    Gentry

Mays just arrived in New York, and wouldn't play until Sunday, leading off and getting the eventual game-winning home run, his first of the season and 647th of his career.

http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/L...px?lotid=29523
    Last edited by alpineinc; 02-06-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Not sure if here before - May 12, 1972, Lindsey, pre-game interview with Willie, fresh off his trade from the Giants.
    good catch, i've posted this earlier but never noticed the lineup on the cam.
    now-a-days the rosters given to most cam op's. have players headshots on em' also.
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

now-a-days the rosters given to most cam op's. have players headshots on em' also.

(Photos taken August 11, 2009. Gary Dunaier. Link to uploads on Flickr.com: cameraman, cheat sheet.)
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post

(Photos taken August 11, 2009. Gary Dunaier. Link to uploads on Flickr.com: cameraman, cheat sheet.)
    with the strength of the lenses, they could identify the players by their dental work
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Thanks Paul, I know I've doubled up a few of yours here and there, but these threads are so massive now that I have to go with gut instinct lol. But always fun to look at them again too.

Nice photo of Willie Mays at Shea. Clear photo and nice color of the empty stands at Shea.

WillieMaysShea.jpg

http://www.bronxbanterblog.com/tag/joe-flaherty/
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

I believe that his 1973 Topps baseball card-- his only issue as a Met, and final card-- was taken during this posing on this day.
    Boy did Willie look good in a Mets uniform!

I believe that his 1973 Topps baseball card-- his only issue as a Met, and final card-- was taken during this posing on this day.
    Boy did Willie look good in a Mets uniform!
    I remember that card well. '73 was the second year I collected...got 'em all in the closet!

150670.jpg

Wow.. to see the 2 photos side by side looks as if they were snapped by two photogs at exactly the same time.. within a few seconds. Even down to the facial expression, arm, bat and finger positions, etc.. amazing. That card really was a special one. I still have them all too!

Found another of Willie posing at Shea.

No pine tar on the bat.
    Last edited by YankeeStadium1923; 02-08-2013 at 01:44 PM.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Jets vs Bills Shea Stadium

http://lockerroomlogicdotcom.files.w...cmcyaaroep.jpg
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
    Looks like the 2000-yard game.

I'm too young to remember this, but didn't they put tarps over the back edge of the upper deck during Jets games? Then again, being the last game if the season, a tough one for maintenance with postseason baseball along with the Jets season, perhaps they stopped caring.
    Last edited by MattD1972; 02-08-2013 at 03:42 PM.

no the whole stadium was open and usually sold out..
    "to a new yorker like you a hero is some sort of weird sandwich"

"Because I'm loyal and true, to the orange and blue"

Quote Originally Posted by margatemanor View Post
    no the whole stadium was open and usually sold out..

He's not talking about tarps over seats. He's talking about the wind break tarps located behind the upper, and mezzanine levels late in the Jets' seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by MattD1972 View Post
    ...didn't they put tarps over the back edge of the upper deck during Jets games? Then again, being the last game if the season, a tough one for maintenance with postseason baseball along with the Jets season, perhaps they stopped caring.
    looks like the tarp is up
    i had last row loge seats for '86 nlcs behind rf foul pole and knew that october started the winds so i brought plastic and gaffers tape and completely covered the fence behind the seat to act as a wind block - it worked.
    wouldn't be able to bring in that stuff now.
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Page 543 of 562 FirstFirst ... 43443493533541542543544545553 ... LastLast