Page 564 of 564 FirstFirst ... 64464514554562563564
Results 14,076 to 14,099 of 14099

Thread: Shea Stadium

Looking into that track - there were conduits that used that channel and tied into those LF stands. Curious if when rotated to football setup, there was a connection made.

From what I gather, in 83 after the Jets left, the stadium was renovated so that it was now just baseball only.

At the Who concert on 10/12/82, the stadium was in football configuration and those LF stands are there. So that tie in seems logical.

2500385098_faf42a625e_o.jpg
    Last edited by Matt The Hammer; 03-09-2015 at 11:58 AM.

Photo where you can see conduits rising up from track bed to the side of the LF stands.

2938974623_baeebdeb42_o.jpg

Can't see if there was anything on the rotating stands that lined up as they had been modified since 83:

2939827592_f385dd5ab9_o.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    The stands never moved after the last Jets game, right? In 1983. Amazing that they still retained the track - if that's what this is.
    I remember being at a Mets game in the 90's seeing "track marks" in left and right field which implied they had recently moved the field seats for something. That being said, once they replaced the diamond plate connecting the portal walkways and the field level concourse, the stands would no longer move into football configuration.

I am certain they moved after 1983.... but definitely not since 2000.
    20-Game "A" Plan, Prom Box 423.

Dammit, I miss Shea Stadium.

The stands that moved - were they always concrete? The deck. What the seats were attached to and the walkways.

I'd love to see a shot under those stands.

The field level was all concrete, yes. I was lucky enough to be under there a handful of times. Interesting catwalk setup ran from the clubhouse out to the dugout. Dark and dank under there. I actually thought to take one picture on film back in the early 80s, but God knows where it is. It didn't come out well, very dark.

I this picture what is the sidewalk looking path? Is that the cover over the old track for the stands when they were moved to football configuration?

Attachment 146468

The stands never moved after the last Jets game, right? In 1983. Amazing that they still retained the track - if that's what this is.
    In football configuration the outermost concrete lower field boxes, that is the ones that angled toward home plate, wound up directly in front of both bullpens.

The concrete contained steel girder supports for the pedestrian walkway planks directly behind those box seats.

I recall during Mets games in September during football season the bullpen mounds were obscured by the steel girders
    Last edited by sheagoodbye1010; 03-10-2015 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    The field level was all concrete, yes. I was lucky enough to be under there a handful of times. Interesting catwalk setup ran from the clubhouse out to the dugout. Dark and dank under there. I actually thought to take one picture on film back in the early 80s, but God knows where it is. It didn't come out well, very dark.
    Yes, I walked thru that area too. And in addition to its darkness and dankness, there was a distinctive musty odor that was similar to the one that permeated the sub terrain areas (which included the lower concourse) of the Old Vet in Philadelphia.
    Last edited by sheagoodbye1010; 03-10-2015 at 08:50 PM.

I worked for the Parks Dept. In the 70s and saw the change from baseball to football several times. It took a long time and required a lot of people.
    "to a new yorker like you a hero is some sort of weird sandwich"

"Because I'm loyal and true, to the orange and blue"

Funny that when Shea was proposed to the City, they harped how the transition from baseball to football would be "seamless".

How long was the conversion? What things were required? Love to see a video of it now.

Funny that when Shea was proposed to the City, they harped how the transition from baseball to football would be "seamless".

How long was the conversion? What things were required? Love to see a video of it now.
    There is a picture somewhere in this thread of them in the process of turning it to football. It was a big mess. Lots of small pieces of wood. Not sure why. I think it was to be used for shims or something.

Please forgive me for asking this in this thread, but I am having trouble locating the "Shea Stadium Demolition" thread, even when I do an advanced search. Could anyone post the link? thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooseamania View Post
    Please forgive me for asking this in this thread, but I am having trouble locating the "Shea Stadium Demolition" thread, even when I do an advanced search. Could anyone post the link? thank you in advance.
    There is no separate Shea Stadium Demolition thread. All discussion and photos were posted in this very thread.
    X

Unum pilule acetylsalicylicus, tres in diem, post sebum.

Work has been underway for some time to split Shea's demolition posts into its own thread, but the task is long, and after gladly accepting the challenge, I'm afraid I've had so little time to finish it. Perhaps soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
    Due to NFL games being blacked out in the home teamís city prior to 1973 and then concerns about the Jetsí and Giantsí ability to sell out from 1973 onwards, neither club hosted Monday Night Football because of the NFLís and ABCís mutual desire for MNF to air in NYC. The first time a New York team hosted an MNF game came when the Vikings visited Shea in 1979.
    Completely OT but yet an interesting tidbit is that New York almost NEVER got a Sunday DH back then as a result of the broadcasting rules. In a nutshell, until very recently (late 90's), a network's doubleheader could not be shown in a market where a home game was played, even if the doubleheader network was showing the home team's game.

Since there were no bye-weeks, the Jets and Giants never rarely played on MNF, and there was no SNF, New York was subject to two only games every week, since odds were that one of them would be home... The only time the New York got a third Sunday afternoon game was if both the Jets and Giants were on the road that given weekend. It got worse once the Jets left for NJ, because that ensured they couldn't possibly play in NY on the same day, which meant that unless NY hosted MNF, no Sunday DH. New York got the Jets exclusively in one time slot, the Giants in the other, and then the Monday Night game.... and that was it.

I still to this day remember my father cursing the television when the play-by-play announcer would say, "All of you will get to see the bloodbath between the Chiefs and Raiders, except those of you in New York..."

Cheers!
    -Doug
    20-Game "A" Plan, Prom Box 423.

Quote Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
    Completely OT but yet an interesting tidbit is that New York almost NEVER got a Sunday DH back then as a result of the broadcasting rules. In a nutshell, until very recently (late 90's), a network's doubleheader could not be shown in a market where a home game was played, even if the doubleheader network was showing the home team's game.

Since there were no bye-weeks, the Jets and Giants never rarely played on MNF, and there was no SNF, New York was subject to two only games every week, since odds were that one of them would be home... The only time the New York got a third Sunday afternoon game was if both the Jets and Giants were on the road that given weekend. It got worse once the Jets left for NJ, because that ensured they couldn't possibly play in NY on the same day, which meant that unless NY hosted MNF, no Sunday DH. New York got the Jets exclusively in one time slot, the Giants in the other, and then the Monday Night game.... and that was it.

I still to this day remember my father cursing the television when the play-by-play announcer would say, "All of you will get to see the bloodbath between the Chiefs and Raiders, except those of you in New York..."

Cheers!
    -Doug
    And of course, 1968 AFL title game at Shea versus Oakland was blacked out in NY. And 1969 AFL playoff game versus Kansas City was blacked out. And before my time the NY Giants home playoff games (like the 1958 Colts game) was blacked out in NYC.

Fans would go to bars on LI for CT TV, or trek upstate for Albany, or NJ for Philly TV coverage of blacked out games.

There was one huge exception. 1970 Giants vs Jets at Shea Stadium (1st regular season match up of the two teams) was actually shown live in NYC. Giants argued it was a road game so it was actually shown. With Namath hurt, and the inept Al Woodall at QB, Giants came back from 10-3 deficit to win 22-10

Blog Entries
    I saw this and thought some would enjoy itShea_Stadium_concept.jpg

Blog Entries
    Another great Shea Event I was lucky enough to attend. The Police/Joan Jett and REM concert. REM was such a new band they weren't even on the ticket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOa_LGB76e8

police shea.jpg

Blog Entries
    So I'm guessing the no pillars or post is a Yankee jab but then again it could be a thank god we are out of the polo grounds cheer
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Totally was. But I think all stadiums being built then made a point to say no columns.

Blog Entries
    Oh yeah I'm sure they did, but I feel like when the Reds or Pirates did it, it was like yay we upgraded, and when the Mets did it I feel like its meant as haha we're better than our crosstown rival who claims all to be the greatest in the world.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Seaver returns on Opening Day
    Tom Seaver returns to the Mets on Opening Day 1983 and makes his record-tying 14th career Opening Day start against the Phillies

http://m.mlb.com/video/v61983983/tom...3/?team_id=121
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJRogers View Post
    HOLY CRAP!

Years ago I tried to answer a question about Cash and June Carter appearance at Shea Stadium by going to an official Cash Forum (JohnnyCash.com) who had people who tracked all Johnny Cash concerts. And I was told it NEVER HAPPENED!

VINDICATION!
    VICTORY IS MINE, VICTORY IS MINE!
    Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    I'm glad I could help! Although someone posted here back in August 2011 that the concert was on August 22, 1967, between games of a doubleheader with the Phillies, there is still very little info on this concert, nothing in news archives so far, and even the pretty thorough Cash website that posted the photos don't list it in their 1967 concert database (http://www.johnny-cash-infocenter.co....php?year=1967), but that's definitely him, and definitely 1967 with Met Tommy Davis in the background. If I can find more info anywhere I'll post it.
    It was definitely NOT August 22 1967 as I attended that Doubleheader against the Phillies
    Last edited by alpineinc; 04-20-2015 at 11:35 PM.

...The plot thickens...

Page 564 of 564 FirstFirst ... 64464514554562563564