Page 569 of 570 FirstFirst ... 69469519559567568569570 LastLast
Results 14,201 to 14,225 of 14233

Thread: Shea Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
    And what may amaze people today is that all those people in the Upper Deck didn't help themselves to a free upgrade during garbage time... Not even to Upper Box Seats...
    Probably because there weren't obstructions and disappearing outfield corners everywhere, like Coupon Field.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

TWO FOR THE MONEY DEP'T
    RAINED OUT HOUSTON DOUBLEHEADER
    OF JULY 11 RESCHEDULED FOR PAIR
    OF SHEA TWIN BILLS WITH ASTROS-
    TUES. AUG. 31-TWI-NIGHTER
    WED SEPT. 1-DOUBLEHEADER

So the Met's played 4 games in two days? Not something you see very often.

Quote Originally Posted by WillMissShea View Post
    TWO FOR THE MONEY DEP'T
    WED SEPT. 1-DOUBLEHEADER

Yep, and lost 3 of 4.

Interestingly, they then did it again to finish the season, on Oct 2 and 3 against the Phillies. Lost 3 of 4 of those too. Oct 2 Game 1 they lost 6-0 to Jim Bunning, striking out 10, then an 18 inning 0-0 tie with Chris Short striking out 18 to tie the record, but called because of a Saturday night curfew. So 27 innings, 28 Ks, no Met runs. Then on Oct 3 they lost 3-1, 3-1 (one in 13) to close the season. 4 games, 2 days, 49 innings, 2 runs. Tough way to close out 1965!

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Yep, and lost 3 of 4.

Interestingly, they then did it again to finish the season, on Oct 2 and 3 against the Phillies. Lost 3 of 4 of those too. Oct 2 Game 1 they lost 6-0 to Jim Bunning, striking out 10, then an 18 inning 0-0 tie with Chris Short striking out 18 to tie the record, but called because of a Saturday night curfew. So 27 innings, 28 Ks, no Met runs. Then on Oct 3 they lost 3-1, 3-1 (one in 13) to close the season. 4 games, 2 days, 49 innings, 2 runs. Tough way to close out 1965!
    Wow, great info! I can look it up but didn't 1973 end similar? I think it rained all week in Chicago and the Met's had to play back to back double headers. I think it rained during the games as well and the Met's, having clinched, didn't need to play the 4th game. So they didn't. Which is why they ended up with only 161 games played.

[QUOTE=WillMissShea;2522826]Haven't seen this posted before. I wonder what these guys were doing at Shea on 1/31/1973. Maybe heading to spring training? These are those funky Met's wool caps that Tug McGraw was seen with earlier in the thread. Don't remember people wearing them. Funny how in the dead of winter the bullpen cart is still around!

I recall those "funky" hats (winter wool hat with a brim) were the give-away for Fan Appreciation Day (September 1972)

Wow, great info! I can look it up but didn't 1973 end similar? I think it rained all week in Chicago and the Met's had to play back to back double headers. I think it rained during the games as well and the Met's, having clinched, didn't need to play the 4th game. So they didn't. Which is why they ended up with only 161 games played.
    Yes, was supposed to be 4 games at Chicago on the final weekend, Fri Sep 28, Sat Sep 29 (2) and Sun Sep 30 - and both Friday AND Saturday were washed out, so doubleheaders were set up for Sunday and Monday.

Meanwhile, the second place Pirates kept losing and were 2 out with only 2 themselves to play by the time the Mets and Cubs finally played some ball on Sunday.

Mets only had to win 1 of 4 to tie, so after splitting Sunday they clinched that tie, so even with the Bucs finally winning one they only needed one win themselves Monday - and the Mets won Game 1 to cancel Game 2 and move on to the NLCS.

What's really crazy about that 1973 NL East scramble is that 5 teams were still in it on Sunday - and the Cubs themselves were only 4 out before the two final doubleheaders at home. So if they swept the 4 against the Mets at home, they would've tied the Amazins. Unfortunately that wouldn't have been enough, because with all other results the same, the .500 Cardinals would've won the East at 81-81, with the Mets, Pirates and Cubs all finishing 80-82, 1 game out.

1973a.jpg1973b.jpg

Yes, was supposed to be 4 games at Chicago on the final weekend, Fri Sep 28, Sat Sep 29 (2) and Sun Sep 30 - and both Friday AND Saturday were washed out, so doubleheaders were set up for Sunday and Monday.

Meanwhile, the second place Pirates kept losing and were 2 out with only 2 themselves to play by the time the Mets and Cubs finally played some ball on Sunday.

Mets only had to win 1 of 4 to tie, so after splitting Sunday they clinched that tie, so even with the Bucs finally winning one they only needed one win themselves Monday - and the Mets won Game 1 to cancel Game 2 and move on to the NLCS.

What's really crazy about that 1973 NL East scramble is that 5 teams were still in it on Sunday - and the Cubs themselves were only 4 out before the two final doubleheaders at home. So if they swept the 4 against the Mets at home, they would've tied the Amazins. Unfortunately that wouldn't have been enough, because with all other results the same, the .500 Cardinals would've won the East at 81-81, with the Mets, Pirates and Cubs all finishing 80-82, 1 game out.

1973a.jpg1973b.jpg
    I believe they were supposed to play the whole doubleheader regardless, not just if they lost Game 1. There was a low-key between-games celebration going on after clinching, because they were supposed to be playing Game 2 shortly. However there was a light drizzle outside and at some point during the clubhouse celebration on camera, an announcement was made that Game 2 was "rained out" which was preposterous but welcomed by everyone. The players let out a cheer and then the festivities went into high gear.

TWO FOR THE MONEY DEP'T
    WED SEPT. 1-DOUBLEHEADER

I'm too lazy to look this up, but I seem to remember three consecutive home twi-nighters against the Montreal Expos late one season, and the Mets lost all six games.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister B. View Post
    I'm too lazy to look this up, but I seem to remember three consecutive home twi-nighters against the Montreal Expos late one season, and the Mets lost all six games.
    Good call - in September 1979 Joe Torre's Mets actually lost FOUR consecutive doubleheaders at home, although only two against the Expos. Three were twi-nighters.

Tues night 9/18, lost 2 to the Cubs
    Wed night 9/19, lost 2 to the Expos
    Thurs night 9/20, lost 2 more to the Expos
    Friday - a blessed rainout lol
    Sat 9/21, lost 2 to the Cards

And Sun 9/22 they lost a single game to the Cards to complete an 0-9 homestand and the home schedule for 1979. Lou Brock swiped his 938th steal in that game to make him the all-time leader at that point.

They then proceeded to win 7 of their last 8 games of the season, all on the road, to avoid 100 losses (63-99). Four months later, Charles Payson sold the club to Fred Wilpon and Nelson Doubleday.

Their futility that year did pay some dividends - with their last place finish, the new regime was able to select Darryl Strawberry as the first pick in the 1980 amateur draft.

i.jpeg

1973a.jpg1973b.jpg[/QUOTE]

I like the ticket information box. Both the methodology and pricing is something we will never see again for the Major Leagues. The tickets were available only at the stadium and the per game prices were $7,$5 and $3.
    By the way the decisive Game 5 was short of a sellout!!
    Last edited by sheagoodbye1010; 12-17-2015 at 03:44 PM.

Good call - in September 1979 Joe Torre's Mets actually lost FOUR consecutive doubleheaders at home, although only two against the Expos. Three were twi-nighters.

Tues night 9/18, lost 2 to the Cubs
    Wed night 9/19, lost 2 to the Expos
    Thurs night 9/20, lost 2 more to the Expos
    Friday - a blessed rainout lol
    Sat 9/21, lost 2 to the Cards

And Sun 9/22 they lost a single game to the Cards to complete an 0-9 homestand and the home schedule for 1979. Lou Brock swiped his 938th steal in that game to make him the all-time leader at that point.

They then proceeded to win 7 of their last 8 games of the season, all on the road, to avoid 100 losses (63-99). Four months later, Charles Payson sold the club to Fred Wilpon and Nelson Doubleday.

Their futility that year did pay some dividends - with their last place finish, the new regime was able to select Darryl Strawberry as the first pick in the 1980 amateur draft.
    Indeed, I remember it well. The Mets had a promotion where fans that attended all the games would receive a T-Shirt that said something like "Marathon Fan"
    Super Fan Fuzzy wore his for many years!!

Quote Originally Posted by sheagoodbye1010 View Post
    Super Fan Fuzzy
    Fuzzy... oy vey.

Whatever happened to him? Haven't seen him around Citi Field.
    X
    Does Mr. Met have a first name?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    Fuzzy... oy vey.

He’s still around the ballpark on occasion…unfortunately not in the best of health.

Where do you find this stuff! I've never seen this picture before. This must be from '80 or '81. The year they changed Shea a lot. Pennants on the outfield wall, the apple in center, the first incarnation of Diamond Vision, and the changes to the scoreboard. Interesting that I never noticed the "stick figure" NY. It was in the logo for 35 years and can be seen so clearly here.

Fuzzy... oy vey.

Never heard of him. No picture Gary?

Never heard of him. No picture Gary?
    Not if I can help it. Anyone else want to snap a photo of him, be my guest.
    X
    Does Mr. Met have a first name?

Not if I can help it. Anyone else want to snap a photo of him, be my guest.
    Photo of Fuzzy...Taken shortly after the Last Game ever at Shea
    Attached Images Attached Images

There has been numerous articles and features on Fuzzy in the local and national media.
    However this brilliant article from the short lived New York Sports Magazine (1984) captured the true essence of this legend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The coolest dude is now a Hall of Famer.

#Retire31
    Last edited by JohnCropp; 01-07-2016 at 04:33 AM.

Is that Fonzie at third?

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    Is that Fonzie at third?
    Indeed it is, 2nd year at 3B for SF.

Blog Entries
    Wow great finds!
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Have to love the tents likely used as offices and places for workers to relax?

Page 569 of 570 FirstFirst ... 69469519559567568569570 LastLast